Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to enter channel numbers 2 or 3 times

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Try it yourself

Hmmm...fool me once....

If you'd taken the time to pay attention you would have seen that I already have tried this. Wanna guess how that worked out?

I get your point, but I know who wrote one of the articles and took the photos, so that was "good enough" for me...

Your usage of quotes (I use them a little differently) implies that by your own admission (even if subconsciously) that we should not swallow that answer completely or take your word literally.

And since you "know a guy", that should be good enough for everyone else? Hey, everybody, it has to be true; VOS knows a guy!

I "know a guy" too, and he wants to sell you a bridge. :grin:
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I read about this or saw a video on You Tube about it.
I have a laptop and did the experiment. It works for sure. I found that I had worn out several of the buttons on my remote doing this experiment.

Also, my sister installed 2 cameras at my 89 year old mother's house in Georgia so that we could log on to them and see if she is OK.
When I am watching her sometimes and she is watching TV, I can see every press of the button of her remote from the light on the end.

I posted this on the DTV forum several months ago and a few over there tried it and also verified that it does work.

Not a problem with the ones that doubt it. I was one til I proved it to myself.

LOL. Did not know I could do that. LOL

Thanks so much Jimmie. I love coming here to learn new things, sometimes completely incredible things, and it looks like you have delivered. :allthumbs:

Please give me a chance to check this out. It's very intriguing; I hope you didn't feel dissed by my skepticism. I'm not fully convinced, but I will see what I can find, and I am indeed fully convinced that you are not crazy or trolling and are a normal stand-up guy, but I always felt that anyway.

Can you verify the make/model of camera and make/model of remote?

And hey, BTW, VOS knows a guy!
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

It is not a separate camera. It is just the cheap one that is built into the laptop.

The remote I used is an old one I have had for years, RC32.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hmmm...fool me once....:grin:

I guess you should know by now how much I care about whether you do or not believe.
Clearly someone has taken the time to do the homework for you, but I've lost any interest doing it "for you". [been there before]
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well, the internet is like a box of chocolates, to paraphrase a certain fictional shrimp-loving long-distance runner we all love. You ask a question, and you may get any sort of answer. And to paraphrase my mother, "ask a silly question; get a silly answer". I think neither your question nor my answer were silly, but you did open the door. How would you have me respond? If you'd just as soon I wouldn't, well that could be a problem for you. ;)

Run Forest, Run!

I have no problem with your response! Not a problem for me!

I have no doubt that DirecTV knows about the trouble. I also have no hope that they'll fix it after 5 years either! If they wanted it fixed or cared even a little that it be fixed it would be fixed... But it's not fixed. I'll be President of the United States before DirecTV fixes it.:nono:

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Run Forest, Run!

I have no problem with your response! Not a problem for me!

I have no doubt that DirecTV knows about the trouble. I also have no hope that they'll fix it after 5 years either! If they wanted it fixed or cared even a little that it be fixed it would be fixed... But it's not fixed. I'll be President of the United States before DirecTV fixes it.:nono:

Have you tried blue painters tape over the sensor on the receiver ?
Or, Scotch Tape and color it dark with a charpy or marks a lot ?

I have it on all 3 of my receivers and it keeps out the excessive IR signals from the TV and from the curly que flourescent lights I use and I no longer have this problem.
It is easy to try.

I have suggested this to many and almost all of them have good results.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I've noticed with the recent (or possibly past few) national software versions that I often need to enter channel numbers at least 2 times when typing in a new channel. This is very annoying and causes delay in getting to a new channel. This doesn't happen using the UP or DOWN buttons, so it's not a battery issue.

For example, I type in 206. My IRD's display pops up and shows "206" but doesn't actually change the channel. After a few secs., the display reverts back to the channel I was originally on. Then I need to type in 206 again. I see this on both of my IRDs (HR22-100 and HR24-200).

Anyone else seeing this issue recently (approx. the past month or so)? I don't know when the latest national software release came out, so I can't directly link when the software was pushed vs. when the issue started.

After you type in a number, follow it with a press of the enter button on the bottom right of the remote, not the select button. It will tune immediately.

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Have you tried blue painters tape over the sensor on the receiver ?
Or, Scotch Tape and color it dark with a charpy or marks a lot ?

I have it on all 3 of my receivers and it keeps out the excessive IR signals from the TV and from the curly que flourescent lights I use and I no longer have this problem.
It is easy to try.

I have suggested this to many and almost all of them have good results.

It comes and goes but the HR24-500 with the biggest trouble is running RF and I completely covered it by putting a box in front of the cabinet it is in. No light at all could get to it... Same result.. But it does come and go.

The latest is that when I turn on the TV and the receiver the screen stays black until I change the channel and I can't change the channel right away. It takes between 30 seconds and a couple of minutes before it will respond to the remote to change the channel. But again - it's not all the time and a reboot every week or two seems to keep the trouble away.

But remember my trouble is that if I don't restart the receiver every week or two that is stops responding to EVERYTHING including the buttons on the front of the box and even the clock stops on the screen.

Just crappy programming it seems... Maybe by 2022 they'll have the bugs worked out... Or maybe not...

#29 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

It comes and goes but the HR24-500 with the biggest trouble is running RF and I completely covered it by putting a box in front of the cabinet it is in. No light at all could get to it... Same result.. But it does come and go.

The latest is that when I turn on the TV and the receiver the screen stays black until I change the channel and I can't change the channel right away.
It takes between 30 seconds and a couple of minutes before it will respond to the remote to change the channel. But again - it's not all the time and a reboot every week or two seems to keep the trouble away.

But remember my trouble is that if I don't restart the receiver every week or two that is stops responding to EVERYTHING including the buttons on the front of the box and even the clock stops on the screen.

Just crappy programming it seems... Maybe by 2022 they'll have the bugs worked out... Or maybe not...

Have you tried a set of Component cables for the video to see if it is the HDMI causing this problem ?

#30 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Same problem here too.I changed the remote batteries and it did not solve the problem.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#31 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

I've got the same problem with my HR34. I figured it was just another one of its quirks that they would eventually get around to fixing!

Find it hard to believe it could be batteries because when I enter the numbers they show up on the screen. It just doesn't change. I've noticed it almost always happens first thing in the morning or after it has been on a channel for several hours. Kind of like it just goes to sleep and has to be whacked a couple of times to make it wake up.

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I've got the same problem with my HR34. I figured it was just another one of its quirks that they would eventually get around to fixing!

Find it hard to believe it could be batteries because when I enter the numbers they show up on the screen. It just doesn't change. I've noticed it almost always happens first thing in the morning or after it has been on a channel for several hours. Kind of like it just goes to sleep and has to be whacked a couple of times to make it wake up.

With your numbers displaying on the screen when you press the buttons that is definitely a different problem and not anything to do with the remote.

A previous poster ( inkahauts ) in this thread suggested pressing the "Enter" button on the lower right hand corner of the remote ( not the select button ) and it will change right away.
Have you tried this ?

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Have you tried a set of Component cables for the video to see if it is the HDMI causing this problem ?

I have not tried component cables rather than HDMI. Because there is a hallway between the TV and the receiver I’d have to leave the component cables laying across the hallway for a week or more to find out. It’s just not worth it to me… Even if using component cables fixed the problem, which I doubt, I would still use HDMI and restart the receiver on a regular basis to keep it working. I’ll wait until either DirecTV fixes their troubles (someday!) or I just give up DirecTV altogether…

Curious – why would you think that using HDMI would cause problems like poor remote response, no display and no control for 30+ seconds when you turn it on, freeze ups that can last 30 seconds to as long as 2 minutes etc?

I have had the setup with the same TV from day 1 and the problems basically started with the HD GUI. My HR24s all worked better before the HD GUI…

#34 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Mike
My post was only relative to the part of your post that I placed in bold, not the remote problem.
The TV and the receiver could be having a lengthy conversation, sort of, and the component cables just send the signal right away.

Edited by jimmie57, 11 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Nothing suggested will help Mr. Greer. He's cursed and enjoys the punishment so much that he feeds off these topics. Rarely participating in other threads, he loves these because he can repeat his complaints. ;)

Mr. Greer is a good guy, but he hates the response of the boxes. There's one tip other than switching providers that works fairly well, and I've suggested it before, it's using IP control. Whether it's through an iDevice or laptop.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

My H25 and HR34 have been doing it for awhile, thats with a Harmony One and Directv remote. Very ridiculous IMO.

But hey, we have Pandora and youtube on our DVR's...

:rolleyes::nono2:
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#37 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

At least it's good to see that I am not the only one with this problem. One of my IRDs uses an IR remote and the other uses an RF remote. New batteries doesn't fix the problem. I didn't mention it, but like a few other said above, sometimes I'll press "2" once and then the screen will show 222 or 2222.. I didn't feel the remote button stick but the IRD somehow studdered.

Hopefully Satelliteracer will chime in to let us know if D* is aware of this issue in the past few months with the HR-2x machines.

If we're having this problem, I would imagine that many of the D* customers not on DBSTalk also have this problem and don't know of a fix.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

For the multiple keystrokes, take a look at post # 3 here. See if that helps.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=keystrokes

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Mike
My post was only relative to the part of your post that I placed in bold, not the remote problem.
The TV and the receiver could be having a lengthy conversation, sort of, and the component cables just send the signal right away.

Oh, ok - sorry, I missed your bolding....

#40 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Nothing suggested will help Mr. Greer. He's cursed and enjoys the punishment so much that he feeds off these topics. Rarely participating in other threads, he loves these because he can repeat his complaints. ;)

Mr. Greer is a good guy, but he hates the response of the boxes. There's one tip other than switching providers that works fairly well, and I've suggested it before, it's using IP control. Whether it's through an iDevice or laptop.

Well, you are correct to a point... Nothing but DirecTV addressing their issues is going to help my troubles!

I don't create new threads - just comment on other's threads mostly to let new people know they'll go insane trying to fix what only DirecTV can fix.:(

I wish that I had known about the poor performance of DirecTV receivers before I switched from Dish Network. Having said that I’m not planning on going back but I am seriously looking into not having pay TV but that’s because of the exploding costs and lack of quality programs to watch.

People just need to know that the sometimes sluggish, non-responsive HRs are the norm and if you can't live with that you should stay away from DirecTV. I personally like just about everything about DirecTV's DVRs other than the usual complaints about not responding to the remote, caller ID and few other things. Generally they do a good job (at least the HR24s do). I've learned to live with DirecTV's engineering department - or should I say lack of engineering at DirecTV? :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...