Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to enter channel numbers 2 or 3 times

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

For the multiple keystrokes, take a look at post # 3 here. See if that helps.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=keystrokes

I tried the above with my HR22-100 but it didn't really change anything. Still takes numerous attempts to type in a new channel number.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

While it might seem that way, there have been articles and photos of the remote "lights", so it seems to be true.

I think I saw something about it on an episode of Paranormal:Fact or Faked once :eek2:

#43 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I found a funny way for better remote response, try changing channels(using the ch buttons)repeatedly in quick motion, then go to the guide and browse throughout in a fast motion also(if you have scrolling effects off) Then try pressing your numbers to see how it respond. You can also try clearing the nvram via ch 1 pressing the red,red,blue,blue,yellow green buttons in that order and in fairly quick presses, and it will show a NVRAM cleared message in white text at the bottom of the screen.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I find it rather hard to believe that nobody has suggested flushing the Guide data. I started using a 24-500 yesterday that had been only used as a server since I got it. Had a terrible time getting the 500 to respond to remote commands such as the TS asked about. I hit 631 for the Yes Network and got 6631 a couple times and quickly rebooted twice and the problem went away immediately.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

I find it rather hard to believe that nobody has suggested flushing the Guide data. I started using a 24-500 yesterday that had been only used as a server since I got it. Had a terrible time getting the 500 to respond to remote commands such as the TS asked about. I hit 631 for the Yes Network and got 6631 a couple times and quickly rebooted twice and the problem went away immediately.

Rich

Rich - you know that it's not possible to quickly reboot twice!:lol: It takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to reboot twice!

But I hear you - One of my HR24-500s was having strange issues and rebooting twice seemed to do the trick.

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

Rich - you know that it's not possible to quickly reboot twice!:lol: It takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to reboot twice!

But I hear you - One of my HR24-500s was having strange issues and rebooting twice seemed to do the trick.

That's why you have to do it quickly... :lol:

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Let's hold the phone here just for a minute, Jimmie. That is a pretty incredible claim to be making.

If that were actually possible, that would mean that a conventional camera sensor or even a cheap "Skype" camera has the ability to see infrared light .....

I've been using digital cameras to check remotes for so many years that I'm surprised to see that this issue is questioned. Every single digital camera or camcorder that I've had (about 8 of them or so) "sees" the emitted IR and shows it on the display as a white light. Just tried it on an LG and Moto cell phone camera with the same result. My 1994 car uses an IR remote for the door locks and every time there's a problem I first use a digital camera to see if the remote is working.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've been using the 24-500 for a couple days now and you would not believe the difference in performance after I flushed the Guide data. I bought the 500 on eBay for a pittance, it was owned and not working. I put a new power supply in it and used it as a server for several months. Whole cost + new access card was less than $120. Works like it's brand new now.

Flushing the Guide data when you start getting weird results from remote commands is something we should urge everyone to at least try. It's not gonna solve every problem, but it's certainly worth trying.

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I've been using digital cameras to check remotes for so many years that I'm surprised to see that this issue is questioned. Every single digital camera or camcorder that I've had (about 8 of them or so) "sees" the emitted IR and shows it on the display as a white light. Just tried it on an LG and Moto cell phone camera with the same result. My 1994 car uses an IR remote for the door locks and every time there's a problem I first use a digital camera to see if the remote is working.

Would you please explain exactly how you do this? I've never been interested in photography and I don't quite understand how to do this with a cell phone camera.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Would you please explain exactly how you do this? I've never been interested in photography and I don't quite understand how to do this with a cell phone camera.

Same procedure with any camera: Hold camera in one hand looking at LCD display, with other hand point the IR emitter directly into the camera lens, press a button on the remote, if the remote is working the IR emitter will show up on the display as a white light.

#51 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

It takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to reboot twice!

I never have that problem on the HR24-200, in fact it reboots pretty fast like getting a snack at the kitchen then returning to my bedroom to see picture.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#52 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

But the HR22-100 in the other hand takes at least 7 to 10 minutes, which i rarely if ever needed to reboot.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I never have that problem on the HR24-200, in fact it reboots pretty fast like getting a snack at the kitchen then returning to my bedroom to see picture.

I just rebooted nine 24s the other day. Took ~ 1.5 hours. I watched each one reboot. I was having problems with my MRV and had to do a complete shutdown of the MRV system and then reboot. So, it took about 10 minutes for each receiver to reboot. Some were faster than others. Apparently depends on the size of the content on each 24. In other words a 24 with an empty drive reboots faster than one that has a lot of content on the drive. All had 2TB drive on/in them.

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

But i have a 1tb ext drive on the 24 thats almost full but still reboots normally, but the 22 has a 2tb that's half full but takes 10 minutes at least even on internal drive.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

But i have a 1tb ext drive on the 24 thats almost full but still reboots normally, but the 22 has a 2tb that's half full but takes 10 minutes at least even on internal drive.

After rebooting all those 24s I'll stick with about 10 minutes a reboot. The 22-100 you have is more than capable of doing some very strange things. I wouldn't use that unit as a benchmark for anything.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 324 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I found the best remote for our units is my iPad using the DirecTV app.

If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#57 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

This has been going on for at least 5 years. The remote is fine. DirecTV needs to fix the software on the DVR, which they will never do. If they had the skill or mental capacity to fix it, they would have done it long ago. So you can do all the little tricks and temporary fixes you want, but nothing is going to change on the current hardware. The best you can hope for is that as time goes on, later generations of DVRs will be fast enough to mask the problem.

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Same procedure with any camera: Hold camera in one hand looking at LCD display, with other hand point the IR emitter directly into the camera lens, press a button on the remote, if the remote is working the IR emitter will show up on the display as a white light.

My phone shows a white box every time I hit the remote.  Didn't matter where I held the remote or camera, it showed the white box every time I hit the remote.  That was with the remote in RF mode.

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

This has been going on for at least 5 years. The remote is fine. DirecTV needs to fix the software on the DVR, which they will never do. If they had the skill or mental capacity to fix it, they would have done it long ago. So you can do all the little tricks and temporary fixes you want, but nothing is going to change on the current hardware. The best you can hope for is that as time goes on, later generations of DVRs will be fast enough to mask the problem.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I've only had that problem with HRs with corrupted Guide data.  Flushing the Guide data stops that problem immediately.  I don't view this as a temporary fix, once you do the flushing you should be good for a long time.  I also don't see it as a hardware problem.  I don't see it as a software problem either.  I do see it as a Guide data problem that is, at worst, an infrequent problem.  

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I know you don't want to hear this, but I've only had that problem with HRs with corrupted Guide data.  Flushing the Guide data stops that problem immediately.  I don't view this as a temporary fix, once you do the flushing you should be good for a long time.  I also don't see it as a hardware problem.  I don't see it as a software problem either.  I do see it as a Guide data problem that is, at worst, an infrequent problem.  

Rich

I dumped DirecTV years ago (in my own home at least), so it makes no difference to me. I'm open to any and all permanent solutions (not temporary workarounds or band-aids). But I have to disagree that errors in guide data bringing the system to its knees is not a software problem. I don't know about you, but if my software couldn't handle errors gracefully, I'd be fired. Especially if I was unable to fix it for 5 years and counting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...