Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to enter channel numbers 2 or 3 times

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I dumped DirecTV years ago (in my own home at least), so it makes no difference to me. I'm open to any and all permanent solutions (not temporary workarounds or band-aids). But I have to disagree that errors in guide data bringing the system to its knees is not a software problem. I don't know about you, but if my software couldn't handle errors gracefully, I'd be fired. Especially if I was unable to fix it for 5 years and counting.

I didn't say it brought the system to it's knees.  I was talking about one HR. That's all that's affected by corrupted Guide data.  If the problem is with each HR in a system, something else is wrong.  I have 12 active HRs and none, normally, have this problem.  Usually, it's only on the HR that you use the most.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Of course, to completely flush the guide data, you're rebooting your DVR twice in succession.  Whose to say it's not the rebooting, instead of the new guide data, that's the fix?

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#63 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

I didn't say it brought the system to it's knees.  I was talking about one HR. That's all that's affected by corrupted Guide data.  If the problem is with each HR in a system, something else is wrong.  I have 12 active HRs and none, normally, have this problem.  Usually, it's only on the HR that you use the most.

Rich

I've had my share of HRs over the years (not a completely insane number), and all were painfully slow at all times after, say 2008, IIRC. They were pretty speedy before that time. If I had paid attention, I probably could have told you the exact software version where things went wrong. Didn't matter how many guide flushes I did. The only flush that eventually solved the problem was when I flushed my DirecTV contract down the toilet (figuratively of course). What blows my mind is that were still debating the exact same issue all these years later. Nothing has changed.

#64 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've had my share of HRs over the years (not a completely insane number), and all were painfully slow at all times after, say 2008, IIRC. They were pretty speedy before that time. If I had paid attention, I probably could have told you the exact software version where things went wrong. Didn't matter how many guide flushes I did. The only flush that eventually solved the problem was when I flushed my DirecTV contract down the toilet (figuratively of course). What blows my mind is that were still debating the exact same issue all these years later. Nothing has changed.

This issue is different. I have a fairly speedy receiver that has this channel numbers not registering to change the channel. The numbers take just fine, the channel just won't change.  It's not IR (thanks again for trying the remote awhile back) only, either, because it happens with IP control, too. The only solution seems to be hitting 'Enter' after the numbers.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Of course, to completely flush the guide data, you're rebooting your DVR twice in succession.  Whose to say it's not the rebooting, instead of the new guide data, that's the fix?

Oh, I dunno.  Perhaps because one reboot does nothing?  I didn't come up with the whole flushing the Guide data thing by myself, I read about it and tried it and it worked.  A single reboot did nothing.  There are people on this forum I've come to trust and that's where I got the idea from.  I didn't randomly make it up, I followed someone who knew more than I did.  

When I first found this forum I knew practically nothing about HRs.  I learned from those who knew a lot more than I did.  I'm perfectly comfortable admitting my ignorance and asking for help, not arguing constantly with those who know more than I do.

Rich 

#66 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

To flush guide data, do you have to wait until the system is fully rebooted and viewing live TV before you reboot it again?  Or can you just do a menu reset and then press the red button again while it is starting up on the basic blue screen?

It is a little slow, especially DVR's.  One does have to wonder how taxed the CPU is.  They seem awfully underpowered.  Though HR44 users say those systems are incredibly fast.  The HR44 is using a much better CPU.  So that kind of rules out software since its running the same software as the HR34.  It must be a CPU or Memory/Bus limitation. 

Because its write once - deploy many... the software build is theoretically not optimized for each set to box CPU.  Why do you think Flash and Java suck performance wise?  Write once / deploy many...

I think there is room for optimization.  Each CPU has its own library of hardware acceleration drivers and optimization routines.  It'd run really fast if it was all written in assembly language specific to the processor.  However the development time (and remember time is money) is most likely why it is not done that way.

If I could do more via my iPad (like manage to do list, series priorities, see DVR disk space usage, browse VOD screens and queue content to download, etc...) I wouldn't even have to go in the guide on my HR24-200.  It would be nice if the YouTube app on iPhone or iPad could pair with DirecTV like it can with XBOX and other YouTube media streamers.  Takes a while entering search terms using the old tap text method on the DirecTV remote.

Edited by cypherx, 17 April 2013 - 03:30 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

To flush guide data, do you have to wait until the system is fully rebooted and viewing live TV before you reboot it again?  Or can you just do a menu reset and then press the red button again while it is starting up on the basic blue screen?

It is a little slow, especially DVR's.  One does have to wonder how taxed the CPU is.  They seem awfully underpowered.  Though HR44 users say those systems are incredibly fast.  The HR44 is using a much better CPU.  So that kind of rules out software since its running the same software as the HR34.  It must be a CPU or Memory/Bus limitation. 

Because its write once - deploy many... the software build is theoretically not optimized for each set to box CPU.  Why do you think Flash and Java suck performance wise?  Write once / deploy many...

I think there is room for optimization.  Each CPU has its own library of hardware acceleration drivers and optimization routines.  It'd run really fast if it was all written in assembly language specific to the processor.  However the development time (and remember time is money) is most likely why it is not done that way.

If I could do more via my iPad (like manage to do list, series priorities, see DVR disk space usage, browse VOD screens and queue content to download, etc...) I wouldn't even have to go in the guide on my HR24-200.  It would be nice if the YouTube app on iPhone or iPad could pair with DirecTV like it can with XBOX and other YouTube media streamers.  Takes a while entering search terms using the old tap text method on the DirecTV remote.

I wait until the reboot is complete and I have a picture, then I reboot again.  I'd stay away from that red button.  If you have to do a hard reboot, I'd pull the cord.  To do a flush of the Guide data, I go to Settings and there is an option to restart the HR.  I use that and it works very well.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...