Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

calm act

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

calm act supposedly takes effect next month.:lol:

wanna bet that doesn't happen?

I believe the date is the 15th.

extensions granted if stations can proove hardship. [ yup, I can read hoppa all over this]:rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Huh??

Sent from my DROIDX ....
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hopper/Joey and the ViP have commercial volume technology built in to them.

#4 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Huh??

Sent from my DROIDX ....

http://en.wikipedia...._Mitigation_Act

#5 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have a VIP 722 with firmware 7.27. Does yours work when "activated" If I read the "help" right it says "digital output on rear of receiver" which I take to mean the "optical" going to the home theater system. I don't think this includes a HDMI cable. I have both but don't seam to notice a difference especially on local channels.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have a VIP 722 with firmware 7.27. Does yours work when "activated" If I read the "help" right it says "digital output on rear of receiver" which I take to mean the "optical" going to the home theater system. I don't think this includes a HDMI cable. I have both but don't seam to notice a difference especially on local channels.

I've moved on to the Hopper, so I can't answer from personal experience.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Broadcast has had long standing regulations that said that commercials couldn't be greatly louder than the programs. I guess this act includes cable & satellite and probably decreases the allowed variances for broadcast. Dish has never been bad with this (even when I had a 322 years ago), but cable tends to be horrible sometimes with the local commercials.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'll take louder commercials if they'll ban all the crap on the screen obscuring the programs.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I've got the 222k, "audio leveling enabled"

NO difference. [ I have had three of these 222k's, audio leveling never seemed to make a bit of difference]

most commercials are louder, some are even louder still.

Calm act, I believe will pertain to cable and satellite as well as others.

I just don't see the "calm act" being enforce anytime soon, even though next month was the deadline:nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've got the 222k, "audio leveling enabled"

NO difference. [ I have had three of these 222k's, audio leveling never seemed to make a bit of difference]

most commercials are louder, some are even louder still.

Calm act, I believe will pertain to cable and satellite as well as others.

I just don't see the "calm act" being enforce anytime soon, even though next month was the deadline:nono2:

+1 Guess we will have to wait and see. I have some locals I have to turn down 8 levels and more on my home theater and audio out of dish box between one station and another. Every station is different and not just commercials.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I don't like the way the volume leveling technology dulls the audio.

I leave it off and turn the volume down with the remote if needed, more exercise that way :D.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

For prime time on the networks the Hopper works pretty good for not needing to worry about commercial volume levels. Or pictures. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

This has been an ongoing issue between broadcasters and the government for many years.

If you took a VU meter to any broadcast you will see that the commercials are already peaking at a slightly lower level than the program audio. Why it sounds louder has to do with the amount of audio compression applied. Commercials have their audio dynamics smashed to near zero, while the program audio dynamic range is much wider (which sounds softer to the human ear). It's also why noncommercial networks like HBO sound softer in comparison to commercial networks.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Who do I write to on Dic 16 to start complaining.

#15 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Far too many engineers are already finding that the CALM Act leveling is taking the dynamics out of the shows, making them sound "like 50's television".
Wish they had just followed the Dolby Digital standards, and not made a new (government) one.

#16 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Geez!

Yes it is mildly irritating to get that louder volume on commercials, but did we really have to get the govt involved towards creating and passing a new law regulating the sound gain on TV ads? No wonder Congress cannot get anything of substance done.

And what happens if a network does not comply? They will be fined? And if they don't pay the fines- will CEOs be doing hard time?

And, as others have pointed out, in many-most-maybe all cases there may not be some insidious plot to grab one's attention towards these ads, but rather simply a change in the dynamics of the sound range. Much like switching from an HD channel to "TVLand": the volume gain is sudddenly much louder due to less of a dynamic range on that particular channel.

Perhaps some sound engineers, somewhere in the broadcast chain, should be monitoring inputs, seeking more of a uniform gain level, but bringing in regulation to enforce this is over the top IMO.

#17 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Makes no difference to me as i have not watched a show real time as it aired in years. One thing i have noticed in movies and shows lately is the music and or sound effects seem to be louder than the dialog. I am always lowering the volume then raising it when people are speaking......

#18 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Makes no difference to me as i have not watched a show real time as it aired in years. One thing i have noticed in movies and shows lately is the music and or sound effects seem to be louder than the dialog. I am always lowering the volume then raising it when people are speaking......

+1 I always think to myself, do these audio people ever listen to their work?! It juust keeps getting worse and worse.

#19 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

+1 more.

My favorite is when I have to back it up two or three times, each time louder, and I still can't figure out what the actor said due to background noise.

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

+1 I always think to myself, do these audio people ever listen to their work?! It just keeps getting worse and worse.

They do listen, however...
If the program source is a feature film originally produced for theatrical release than the dialog levels are fine for listening in a theater. Unless someone pays to remix the entire film for home viewing than the mix is what it is. The engineers on the TV side cannot remix the dialog, they can only run it through compressors - the very device that caused the uproar about loud commercials in the first place.

OTOH a DD 5.1 mix may be adjustable at home by simply raising the front center channel louder.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...