Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM 32 v 2 SWiM 16s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Take price out of the equation -

Neither a SWiM 32 or 2 SWiM 16s will do MRV natively and both require a similar non-DirecTV approved workaround.

That being the case, would a SWiM 32 be preferable as one would not need to split the signal to 2 SWiM 16s?

Or would 2 SWiM 16s (or perhaps 4 SWiM 8s) be preferable for redundancy in case one went out (though the installation would not be as neat).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

With DIRECTV you would just use 2 CCK's with 2 SWM 16's. They would bridge through the router if you had one. If you didn't then you would have to use a work around. With a SWM 32 you would need 4 CCK's or some other work around which could cause issues. Either way there will be pros and cons depending on the installation as well. If the SWM 32 was installed and all the lines were run equally then it could have less db loss overall. If however you had some long runs then being able to move a SWM 16 closer may give that install the edge.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Take price out of the equation -

Neither a SWiM 32 or 2 SWiM 16s will do MRV natively and both require a similar non-DirecTV approved workaround.

That being the case, would a SWiM 32 be preferable as one would not need to split the signal to 2 SWiM 16s?

Or would 2 SWiM 16s (or perhaps 4 SWiM 8s) be preferable for redundancy in case one went out (though the installation would not be as neat).

The SWiM-32 is a commercial unit, made by another manufacture than the other SWiMs.
There may be some pluses to it, but little has been yet measured [by me or someone else for me].
They're thought to have a bit higher output power for longer runs, and as you know they don't have any DECA crossovers.
The diplexer method is actually used with them, but not for DECA/whole home DVR, but for using a DECA signal for the DRE in hotels/motels.

One thing I do know about them is their legacy ports don't have the loss that the other SWiMs do, so they can be cascaded much easier.

Because of the different manufacture and application, it's hard to know if they would fail at the same rate of the -16 or SWM8s, so [again] it's hard to know if there would be an advantage to using 4 SWM8, or two -16s, over one -32.

I guess this mostly comes down to a bunch of "I don't knows".
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

With...

I think the OP is referring to the diplexer combining the DECA cloud method, which isn't DirecTV approved, but works well with only a slight loss of DECA range.

completely unapproved, but works with one -32. two -16s, or four SWM8s and only one CCK:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1342586724
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I think the OP is referring to the diplexer combining the DECA cloud method, which isn't DirecTV approved, but works well with only a slight loss of DECA range.

Correct

Protected By... spam firewall...And...