Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 34 Picture Too Big

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

We have a strange problem with the HR34. Yesterday my husband was watching a previously recorded show when he got a call & paused the recording. Awhile later, he came back to resume the show & *somehow* in all of his attempts to resume he managed to make the picture from the HR34 too big for the TV. For instance, if I go to Menu, I can't see the menu items on the left side of the screen - the picture is too big. I've cycled through resolutions & we've rebooted the DVR. I didn't try a red button reboot, though. We have an HR24 attached to the same TV & it works fine. I don't know if this is related but we also frequently get a pink screen when we turn on the TV & are on the HR34. During those times we also have no sound & I have to reboot the HR34 to get the picture & sound fixed. I think this is an HDMI issue but wanted to throw it out there as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Same thing happened to me once and it was the TV. My TV has a screen size button and it can be set to NORMAL, or WIDE or TALL or STRETCH. That was my problem.

Also check the aspect ratio on the HR34, did it get reset to 4:3?

I know the HR24 is OK per your message but that could be an HDMI signal issue.
If all else fails reboot the HR and even your TV by removing the power plug for a few minutes.

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

I thought about that but the HR24 connected to the same TV was fine so I ruled it out. I don't know if the TV can do different resolutions for different connections (the HR24 is connected through component). I'll try that, though.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

It seems like the HR34 is set for 4:3 or 480i but you wrote you checked the resolutions.

Can you swap Component and HDMI inputs on the HR34/24?

#5 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I checked the TV settings & they were set to Wide: Full. I set it to Wide: Full Pixel & that seems to have worked for now.

To swap the cables, I'd have to disconnect the current HDMI for the HR24 (It is connected to two TV's on either side of a double fireplace & the cables run through the wall). It can be done, though, & I might play around with them later especially if the pink screen issue continues.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Leave both HDMI cables plugged into the TV,
Swap the other ends of them between the 2 receivers. See if the problem swaps receivers.
If it does, you have a bad cable or connection on the TV.

The pink screen and no sound, etc. is usually an HDMI problem. It could be the cable, the connection on either end or the software for the HDMI in the receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 936 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Here is a WAG on my part. It is possible that the EXIT key was held down on your remote which puts the HR into SD(standard definition) mode. To return to HD, press and hold the EXIT key for a few seconds. Again it's just a guess......

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Here is a WAG on my part. It is possible that the EXIT key was held down on your remote which puts the HR into SD(standard definition) mode. To return to HD, press and hold the EXIT key for a few seconds. Again it's just a guess......

I thought that too until I read in the first post they cycled through the resolutions. But never hurts to suggest everything.

#9 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yep, that was the first thing that I tried -- cycling through the resolutions. It's fixed for now -- I changed a setting on the TV.

#10 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,625 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I checked the TV settings & they were set to Wide: Full. I set it to Wide: Full Pixel & that seems to have worked for now.

Good! Does the TV not have a native setting? Or is it "Wide" vs. "Standard"?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I thought about that but the HR24 connected to the same TV was fine so I ruled it out. I don't know if the TV can do different resolutions for different connections (the HR24 is connected through component). I'll try that, though.

Yes, it can do different resolutions, aspect ratios, picture settings, etc. per input. That is why your HR24 was still fine. It appears that you fixed the issue, so that's awesome! :)

FYI, a pink screen usually shows up when a display is "thinking" its getting an RGBHV signal and is actually receiving a YCbCr component signal. The display usually auto detects eventually and the normal image returns but sometimes it gets confused and is stuck but as others have mentioned a simple reset or switching inputs should do the trick.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

spam firewall