Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question regarding Whole Home Setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hwilker

hwilker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have a current Whole Home setup that has run fine, by and large, for over a year. However, I have one problem that crops up, that seems to occur only when the power gets interrupted to the power inserter and the HR24 which is connected to it both via coax and by sharing the same electrical circuit.

Here is my setup: I have a SWM8 module sitting outside the house. I have a slimline-5S disk. Connected to the SWM are the following:
HR-21
HR-22
Broadband Adapter
Power Inserter which also connects to an HR 24.

The HR 21 and 22 have DECA adapters. The HR 24 does not.

The problem I have is that when power is interrupted to the circuit that powers the HR 24 and power inserter, when the power is restored I get an error "Searching for Satellite on Tuner 2 - error 771". It is not a satellite problem since both the HR-21 and HR-22 work with both tuners just fine.

In the past, fiddling around with the Power inserter and the HR 24 (basically unplugging and rebooting, sometimes resetting) has eventually corrected the problem, but yesterday the problem recurred and this time, nothing has been able to correct it.

I got the HR 24 to function by setting it up to use a single tuner, but have a service call scheduled for tomorrow.

My question (and I suggest this without understanding why this keeps happening and why this might correct it) is, would it be possible to use one of the vacant SWM ports and connect it directly to the HR24, leaving the power inserter to JUST function to power the system. Why this might work I don't know, but I note only that a) the other two DVR's function fine and are NOT connected directly to the power inserter, and B) every other time this problem has arisen it has turned out that there is no problem with the second tuner itself or with the HR24. So, if there is some strange interaction between the power inserter and the HR24 (perhaps some grounding problem or something) wouldn't make sense to ask the service tech to hook up the HR24 directly to the SWM and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

You can power a SWiM-8 two different ways. The SWM/PWR port or the Legacy 3 port.

I think moving the PI out of the equation is a good troubleshooting step. You can probably do that two ways: Either run a separate line to the SWiM module and power it separately or put a splitter inline with the HR24 and put the PI on the power passing output and the HR24 on the other.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   hwilker

hwilker

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

You can power a SWiM-8 two different ways. The SWM/PWR port or the Legacy 3 port.

I think moving the PI out of the equation is a good troubleshooting step. You can probably do that two ways: Either run a separate line to the SWiM module and power it separately or put a splitter inline with the HR24 and put the PI on the power passing output and the HR24 on the other.

Go Beavs,

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what you're suggesting when you say " run a separate line to the SWiM module and power it separately" If you mean to run an electrical line from the house main to the swim module that seems difficult and I'm not sure why I couldn't use the Power Inserter (plugged into a wall outlet inside and connected through the wall to the SWM model outside for power.) That's how it's set up now. I also don't understand why I'd need a splitter. There are four empty posts on the SWM module. Why wouldn't I just run coax from the HR24 to an unused post on the SWM.

In other words move from the current setup: HR24 -> Power Inserter -> SWM (with, of course, the Power Inserter also plugged into the power outlet) to this setup: Power outlet -> Power Inserter -> SWM and a separate run from HR24 -> SWM.

That would mean that the HR24 is hooked up exactly the same as the other two receivers (directly to the SWM, save only the DECA modules which are not needed on the HR24 because it is internal). The hunch being that, since that setup works for the other two receivers it would work for the HR24.

I hope I'm making sense. Sometimes this stuff is hard to describe clearly. Thanks again for the help.

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

What you are saying would work fine, as long as you make sure to hook the power inserter up to the red power passing port on the 4 way splitter outside (which it should already be hooked up to).

My guess is this probably won't help though. I'm thinking this might be a good time to invest in a UPS to plug your HR24 and power inserter into, and it will probably help take care of the issue.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   hwilker

hwilker

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

What you are saying would work fine, as long as you make sure to hook the power inserter up to the red power passing port on the 4 way splitter outside (which it should already be hooked up to).

My guess is this probably won't help though. I'm thinking this might be a good time to invest in a UPS to plug your HR24 and power inserter into, and it will probably help take care of the issue.

Thanks. Actually I was oversimplifying the way the equipment is plugged into the power for simplicity. Actually both devices are connected to a power strip and the strip is connected to a UPS. The power interruption happened because I accidentally turned the switch off on the power strip while working on my AVR and didn't notice for a few minutes. It had the same effect as a power outage as far the HR24 and Power Inserter were concerned. Thanks again, Beerstalker.

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Go Beavs,

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what you're suggesting when you say " run a separate line to the SWiM module and power it separately" If you mean to run an electrical line from the house main to the swim module that seems difficult and I'm not sure why I couldn't use the Power Inserter (plugged into a wall outlet inside and connected through the wall to the SWM model outside for power.) That's how it's set up now. I also don't understand why I'd need a splitter. There are four empty posts on the SWM module. Why wouldn't I just run coax from the HR24 to an unused post on the SWM.

In other words move from the current setup: HR24 -> Power Inserter -> SWM (with, of course, the Power Inserter also plugged into the power outlet) to this setup: Power outlet -> Power Inserter -> SWM and a separate run from HR24 -> SWM.

That would mean that the HR24 is hooked up exactly the same as the other two receivers (directly to the SWM, save only the DECA modules which are not needed on the HR24 because it is internal). The hunch being that, since that setup works for the other two receivers it would work for the HR24.

I hope I'm making sense. Sometimes this stuff is hard to describe clearly. Thanks again for the help.

Sorry, I should have said "a separate coax" instead of a "separate line" to the SWiM module. So, yes, what you're describing would work.

Just to be clear, do you have a SWiM-8 module outside with 4 coax lines coming from the dish to your SWiM-8 or do you have one line from the dish to an 8-way splitter?

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#7 OFFLINE   hwilker

hwilker

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sorry, I should have said "a separate coax" instead of a "separate line" to the SWiM module. So, yes, what you're describing would work.

Just to be clear, do you have a SWiM-8 module outside with 4 coax lines coming from the dish to your SWiM-8 or do you have one line from the dish to an 8-way splitter?

Go Beavs, I have a single line coming from the satellite to what I THOUGHT was a SWiM-8, but judging from your reply I guess my terminology was messed up and what I thought was a SWiM-8 was an eight way splitter. Sorry about that.

The tech did show up and suggested himself that we wire it up the way I had been thinking. He did that, but it turns out the tuner on the receiver truly was non-functional and his tests indicated that the LNB was failing. He wound up replacing the LNB, the Splitter and the HR-24. Everything is fine now, except losing my stored recordings and having to re-enter my season passes. A pain, but no big deal.

Thanks for your help.

#8 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Go Beavs, I have a single line coming from the satellite to what I THOUGHT was a SWiM-8, but judging from your reply I guess my terminology was messed up and what I thought was a SWiM-8 was an eight way splitter. Sorry about that.

The tech did show up and suggested himself that we wire it up the way I had been thinking. He did that, but it turns out the tuner on the receiver truly was non-functional and his tests indicated that the LNB was failing. He wound up replacing the LNB, the Splitter and the HR-24. Everything is fine now, except losing my stored recordings and having to re-enter my season passes. A pain, but no big deal.

Thanks for your help.

Got it. Thanks for the follow up and glad to hear you have a fully functioning system again. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

spam firewall