Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA or direct ethernet connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

My house is wired with cat 5 from my office to my bedroom and living room. I only have one TV, which is in my living room.

Yesterday I had a HR34 installed, upgrading from an HR20, and the installer also installed a SWM and a DECA. If I am only using one television and and I have a direct Ethernet connection that can be plugged into the HR 34 is there any advantage to leaving it hooked up to the DECA? I can't think of any. My HR20 was hooked up directly to my network without any problems.
Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by antzona, 11 November 2012 - 04:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

While there is no direct advantage to you. What they have in place is a standardized installation which means phone CSRs and local repair techs will know how to debug (if only following a script to do so).

Technically the HR34 doesn't need the extra DECA for home LAN conversion it's Ethernet port has all the magic goodies to act as the CCK and passes multiple streams concurrently.

So do you need the extra pieces? Not at all, but come support time . . .

In your case having a wired home LAN locally available is a rarity and the install is their "one size fits all" set up. Unless it isn't working, I'd think hard about changing it to technically what is optimal (from a computer/network geek perspective) in favor of having their ability to help troubleshoot problems.

Don "I run both DECA and home LAN services with no issues but I am my own installer/support team as result" Bolton

My house is wired with cat 5 from my office to my bedroom and living room. I only have one TV, which is in my living room.

Yesterday I had a HR34 installed, upgrading from an HR20, and the installer also installed a SWM and a DECA. If I am only using one television and and I have a direct Ethernet connection that can be plugged into the HR 34 is there any advantage to leaving it hooked up to the DECA? I can't think of any. My HR20 was hooked up directly to my network without any problems.
Any help would be appreciated.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#3 OFFLINE   antzona

antzona

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I think I'll end up disconnecting the DECA and just plug the Ethernet cable directly into my HR 34. In addition to the DECA there is some other box that he plugged in back behind my television. Do I need that as well? I don't even know what it is. Can I just have the coax coming from the dish plugged directly into my box, or is anything else required. Thanks

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I think I'll end up disconnecting the DECA and just plug the Ethernet cable directly into my HR 34. In addition to the DECA there is some other box that he plugged in back behind my television. Do I need that as well? I don't even know what it is. Can I just have the coax coming from the dish plugged directly into my box, or is anything else required. Thanks

There is a very good chance that "other box" is the power for the dish, so if it gets unplugged you won't get any signal.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,228 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

In addition to the PI (power inserter), there is probably a black box, either a CCK or Wireless CCK that connects the DECA cloud to the internet.

Bottom line, I'd leave them connected but there shouldn't be a DECA (white or black) module on the coax to the HR34. It's built in.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Just for a clarifaction point on the eathernet connection. If you tell us you direct wired your unit on the phone we do have steps for that. The only time you will/might get a headache with support is if you have more than one HD unit on the account. We are going to tell you that direct wire eathernet will disable the MRV systems because the HR34's CCK funcationaly is not offical yet. just sayin you wont have problems with it being the only unit on the account. :)

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

spam firewall