Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blank recordings on THR22

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Several times in the past couple of months my THR22 has showed a recording in Now Playing but the recording is blank - it just shows a black screen. As it happens I also have an HR21 recording many of these same shows, and the HR21 always has a normal recording. Today I got an email from another THR22 owner complaining about the same thing. Have others seen this?

I will call DirectTV about it but am pretty sure I know what they will tell me. If it weren't for my wife, who hates the HR2x UI, I would never have bothered with the THR22. I note that it has had zero software updates since general release.

Steve

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Had the same thing happen to me today on TCMHD.
There was a movie playing, it was about 30 min into the movie, so I hit record.
The TiVo started recording it, and was able to get the complete movie as it was still in the buffer.
Went to watch it this evening, but got a black screen for the entire movie.
Never had this happen before.
Hope it was just a fluke...
I have discovered several bugs in the software, nothing major, more like quarks of the operating system. Surprised that there hasn't been any software upgrades sense its release.

#3 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Also Steve,
I am surprised that there has been no threads about anyone being able to copy their drive to a larger drive to preserve their recordings and have more capacity.
Guess it can't be done. (Perhaps weaknees can do it for a fee?)
The only thing good about these units is that you can just slap a large capacity drive into them, and the box does the rest.
A lot easier than the HR10-250 drive replacement, but then was able to copy the recordings to the new larger drive.

#4 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Well, it just happened again.
The THR22 was recording my season pass of the news, but it was a black screen.
Stopped the recording, but was still a black screen. changed channels, found that both tuners was on the same channel, so changed each channel off to another channel, then changed back to channel 2 news, and got a picture.
I wonder if the *!%%$!! enhanced content took control with the tuner on channel 2, then released it and put both tuners on 2. Then when my season pass for the news started, with both tuners on 2, it just recorded nothing?
This is a new problem.
Wonder if anyone else has had this start happening in the last few days.

#5 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

There are threads on drive copying. Indeed, I started one here.

Supposedly, the method at http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760 works. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

Steve

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   avlnch

avlnch

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm having issues with my THR22-100 as well (although mine is different - slow/hanging screens and actions). I really hope there's a new S/W update coming out soon.

Why again does the THR22-100 not have the latest TIVO HD UI software? Maybe because DTV wants their HR-24 receiver (a great receiver I have to say) to be the flagship model.. and it is.

The only reason one would want the THR22 TIVO is if they are a TIVO "fan" and are willing to sacrifice the much better HR-24 for the TIVO features.

Lets face it: The TIVO THR22-100 receiver is a huge step back.. about 8 years back. The hardware and the software (Series 3) is eight years old.. and eight years in the technology world is like 2.5 lifetimes for the device and it's software.

Could you imagine if this THR22-100 TIVO had HR-24 equivalent hardware and the new HD UI that's loaded on the other current TIVO's (the ones available at BestBuy that work for just the cable providers). It would be incredible.. and would absolutely be the flagship model dvr receiver. Obviously DTV does not want that to happen. They are satisfying our want for a DTV TIVO by giving us what we used in 2003, and then washing their hands clean.

Not very cool DTV. Let TIVO give us at least updated software (if it will even run effectively on the outdated hardware). Why wouldn't TIVO want to build a box whose tech matches their other latest existing TIVO receivers (cable). DTV has to be holding that one back, don't you think?

</rant>

#7 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

The THR22 software is pre-Series-3. It is the HR10 software with just enough (but no more) to make it work for DirecTV HD. It's what many said they wanted - an HR10 that could record MPEG4 HD and nothing more.

That doesn't particularly bother me - I knew what I was getting. It's that there have been no software updates since initial release that is a concern.

If you have problems, call DirecTV and complain. Don't ever expect the THR22 to be even a Series 3 much less an HR22.

Steve

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   surfboy500

surfboy500

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I got a blank on my GMA recording on ABC today. Thought it might be a HD sat problem until I saw this thread. I have a new THR-22 (since Dec 15th) and this is my first glitch.
The second tuner recorder Nbc's TODAY show just fine.
Any more updates on why this is happening?

#9 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

I didn't know this was still happening. The last recording I had this problem with was over a month ago.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#10 OFFLINE   Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

This happened to me this past week for the third time since Christmas. I have restarted the TiVo to see if that helps.

spam firewall