Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does international programming only come off 118.7.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm a installer in Chicago area and I've always wondered why not have it on 110 119 or 129 and a sat on the ea? I did about a hundred migration jobs last summer and I think it woulda been more cost affective ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Because it would probably be more annoying for and less cost effective for installers to have to switch non-international subs to 118.7.

Just imagine thousands of installs during the summer for that install instead :P
*I used to dread having to set up this install for custs over the phone it was simple but when you've done 30 a day for 2 months... it gets old fast*

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Bandwidth... If they loaded the internationals up on west/east arc then they would be out of bandwidth I believe for anything else.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Then why a different type of dish and LNb?

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

They used to be on 61.5 on the EA as well. I don't know why they took them off that bird. Makes for a big pain for those who live in an EA market and want both locals and internationals.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

They are taking them off eastern arc because they aren't on western arc... and they are trying to balance the channels available on west/east and will not add new channels that they cannot add for both arcs.

As for why 118.7 is in use... I forget the origins of why they have it.. but they have it...and they have far fewer international customers than they do customers in general... so someone counted beans and decided it was worth it to not have to launch another satellite for internationals and to use what they have.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

I recall that 118.7 used to carry smaller local markets. The first time I saw a 118.7 dish was when I crossed the Ohio/PA border into NW PA where an E* customer had it for Erie PA locals. This was in the days before HD locals IIRC.

BTW: The Erie market needed satellite delivery of its locals badly. My aunt's OTA reception was so bad that she watched Cleveland locals instead of her own DMA's stations. I bet the local cable had problems (this was in the analog days) she initially did not get cable and was happy watching a near perfect picture from WJW a good 60+ miles away.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

Erie was 121 ... before 105 and 121 SuperDISH setups were added for locals (and eventually used for other things). The original 121 was not the same satellite as the one used for SuperDISH.

105 is no longer used for direct to home ... 121 is still in DISH's system and is used for Business TV feeds (list).

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

I forgot about 105 & 121. Did those 2 satellites use the same type of LNB as what is now used for 118.7?

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

I forgot about 105 & 121. Did those 2 satellites use the same type of LNB as what is now used for 118.7?

I believe 118.7 is circular and 105 and 121 are linear.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Correct.

spam firewall