Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 mysteriously changes channels

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

OP, you sure someone isn't playing with the DirecTV App and changing channels on you. :lol:

Daughter did this to my wife awhile back and changed some channels on the sly while she was watching. :D
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I agree that changing the IR codeset on the HR34 is probably the best bet.

You said you tried covering the front of the HR34 with a cloth, but I'm betting the IR signal was getting through it still. I believe your TiVo sends out the IR signal 2 ways. One is through the little IR emitters that are on a cable that plugs into the back of the TiVo and then sticks to the front of your D12. The other is a IR blaster that is built into the front of your actual TiVo unit. I'm betting the IR blaster on the front of the TiVo unit is the one causing this issue. I'm not sure if you can shut that one off in the menu somewhere or not, but if you can I would try that. The IR sensors on the DirecTV receivers are pretty sensitive, and it's not uncommon for them to pick up interference from TV backlights, direct sunlight etc and have it cause issues. A fix for that is to tape over the IR receiver to block some of the signal so the remote signal is still seen, but the other interference is not. I'm thinking the cloth over the front did the same thing, it blocked some of the IR signal, but not enough so the receiver still responded to the TiVo's blaster commands.

Turning off the Tivo front blaster in the menu if possible, or changing the IR codeset for the HR34 should take care of the issue.

BeerStalker,

You are the winner! While I considered an IR blaster on the front panel, I couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation or online. Initial tests were inconclusive so I shelved that approach.

Luckily the blaster is not near the IR receiver so a piece of black tape over the blaster in the center has solved the problem.

Thank you to all who have helped me resolve this mystery.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• HDR612.jpg

#23 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

BeerStalker,

You are the winner! While I considered an IR blaster on the front panel, I couldn't find any mention of it in the documentation or online. Initial tests were inconclusive so I shelved that approach.

Luckily the blaster is not near the IR receiver so a piece of black tape over the blaster in the center has solved the problem.

Larry

You can also remove the Tivo cover and put that tape on the inside of the cover to make it look better. My brain didn't register you had a Series 1 until you posted the picture (I thought I was the only one still using a series 1). Be careful not to block the IR receiver for the Tivo remote, which is right next to it. The receiver is on the left, the IR transmitter is on the right.

Here's how to remove just the front cover:

http://archive2.tivo...ad.php?t=231729

#24 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

A heavy cloth will not block a good IR signal. Remote Central uses the fluffy blanket test and good remote shoot through many layers of blanket. So to block the IR from the HR34 use aluminum foil. I did that many times when setting up TiVo units on different codes when they were colocated.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

A heavy cloth will not block a good IR signal. Remote Central uses the fluffy blanket test and good remote shoot through many layers of blanket. So to block the IR from the HR34 use aluminum foil. I did that many times when setting up TiVo units on different codes when they were colocated.

I use a towel to block IR signals all the time and it works perfectly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

You can also remove the Tivo cover and put that tape on the inside of the cover to make it look better. My brain didn't register you had a Series 1 until you posted the picture (I thought I was the only one still using a series 1). Be careful not to block the IR receiver for the Tivo remote, which is right next to it. The receiver is on the left, the IR transmitter is on the right.

Here's how to remove just the front cover:

http://archive2.tivo...ad.php?t=231729

The link does not work (it may be a problem at tivocommunity), so I will try latter.

I did find that covering then entire 'eye' wasn't right. I tested the config shown in the picture and it prevented the HR34 from changing and responded to the TiVo remote when the remote was a few feet from the HDR612. But I learned last night that from across the room the remote did not work. I made some adjustments to the tape that more or less worked. Knowing the exact location of the IR emitter will make tape placement more effective. Thanks,

The series 1 keeps on ticking. I upgraded to larger disks about 10 years ago, they failed a few years ago so I just re-installed the original disks. The only unfortunate problem is that I have no s-video input on my TV so the picture is not as good as it should be. I was really waiting and hoping for the new TiVo from DTV because I thought the DTV receivers had a poor UI. But while waiting for DTV and TiVo to do the right thing, DTVs receivers improved significantly and now with the HR34 (that is improving too), and the lack of features in the DTV TiVo I decided to stick with the DTV STBs.

Still, the TiVo suggestions and auto-recording finds some things that we find interesting.

Genie! At first I thought the mysterious channel changes were related to Genie. The program displayed after the channel change were things we might be interested in. So I thought maybe there is hope for Genie. Now that I found the channel changes were based on TiVo suggestions and not Genie, I remain disappointed in Genie.

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

BeerStalker,

Larry

Glad that you were able to confirm the problem. I still suggest changing the HR34 over to a different codeset though. I know you are hesitant to do it because you normally use a Harmony remote to control it but it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Once you change the codeset on the HR34 and it's remote you just need to change the Harmony remote over to the new codeset. The new codeset should already be in Harmony's database so it shouldn't be that hard to change. Log into the Harmony software and go to your HR34 device. Go to the troubleshooting section and tell it that the HR34 isn't responding to any commands. The software should then ask if you have the original remote. Tell it that you do. It will then have you hook up your Harmony remote to the USB cable on your computer and verify a few commands. It will ask you to hold the DirecTV remote pointed at the learning IR sensor on your Harmony remote and hit a few buttons. It should only take a few buttons (around 3 or 4 I think) and then it will figure out what codeset the DirecTV remote is using and change your Harmony remote over to that one. Then you just have to update the Harmony remote and everything should start working as usual.

This way you can get rid of the tape on the Tivo, and not have to worry about trying to take it apart to hide the tape.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#28 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

The link does not work (it may be a problem at tivocommunity), so I will try latter.

I did find that covering then entire 'eye' wasn't right. I tested the config shown in the picture and it prevented the HR34 from changing and responded to the TiVo remote when the remote was a few feet from the HDR612. But I learned last night that from across the room the remote did not work. I made some adjustments to the tape that more or less worked. Knowing the exact location of the IR emitter will make tape placement more effective. Thanks,

The series 1 keeps on ticking. I upgraded to larger disks about 10 years ago, they failed a few years ago so I just re-installed the original disks. The only unfortunate problem is that I have no s-video input on my TV so the picture is not as good as it should be. I was really waiting and hoping for the new TiVo from DTV because I thought the DTV receivers had a poor UI. But while waiting for DTV and TiVo to do the right thing, DTVs receivers improved significantly and now with the HR34 (that is improving too), and the lack of features in the DTV TiVo I decided to stick with the DTV STBs.

Still, the TiVo suggestions and auto-recording finds some things that we find interesting.

Genie! At first I thought the mysterious channel changes were related to Genie. The program displayed after the channel change were things we might be interested in. So I thought maybe there is hope for Genie. Now that I found the channel changes were based on TiVo suggestions and not Genie, I remain disappointed in Genie.

Strange, the link works for me...

I don't think I can copy and paste the text without getting yelled at by the moderators, but basically you gently lift out the bottom corners of the front panel. Then the front panel slides down. Or just take the cover off. It's not like you're worried about voiding the warranty. :)
Then wrap the one on the RIGHT (it sticks out a little more than the one on the left) with electrical tape. Then put the cover back on.

Or just do what Beerstalker has been telling you and change the IR codes already! :grin:

I didn't pay $3 a month for whole home service, either. My other TV was SD and my Tivo had a lifetime subscription. With that setup, I had three tuners. Mine's 11 years old. I upgraded the hard drive in 2005. If your modem doesn't die, they last forever.

#29 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Bootcamp1,

It was a problem with archive2 at Tivocommunity. It worked 10 minutes after I replied to you. At first neither archive1 or archive2 worked, then I got an updating message for searches of archive1 and then the archive2 responded.

I removed the cover & put the tape on the IR LED as you suggested and it works like a champ. I was going to try Beerstalker's suggestion as a way to change the setup as a diagnostic, but I was going to change the D12 not the HR34. The reason is that I created some very strange 'macros' on the remote to create a 2 minute skip (try this during a change of possession or a timeout in a football game - it is perfect.) And I created some even weirder sequences to flip between dolby and other modes. My receiver does not have an IR code to select modes so I run a specific sequence to get it to do what I want. So messing with the remote codes is possible but a pain.

Thanks again to Beerstalker and Bootcamp1.

Larry

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, if you have macro's built by learning IR codes in RAW mode, then they won't work anymore if you were to switch the HR34 over to a different codeset. You'd have to learn them all over again. If I knew you had done that then I probably wouldn't have pushed for changing the HR34 codeset as hard.

Changing the D12 codeset might not be a bad idea though, depending on how hard it is to switch the codeset in the TiVo. I've never had a TiVo so I'm not sure how difficult that would be, so I never suggested it.

Although, I guess if you've already got a fix in place, and it's working well then I probably wouldn't bother with it either. Especially if you were able to put the tape behind the bezel like it seems you have. I know tape on the front of the box would have drove me and the wife crazy :lol:
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall