Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing Gaming Consoles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hey guys, I finally have enough money to spend for a gaming console since I just play games either online on the computer or on my PSP (which, just passed away).

Can anybody recommend a console because I'm stuck between a PS3 or a XBOX. I've tried both consoles, they're great and all but I don't have enough cash (and tv's) to own both.

My hobby's collecting Gundams, which'll explain why it took me so long to save up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'm not one to evangelize but I *will* relate my experience.

I was at the same spot - PS3 or Xbox - and I chose the XBox. I haven't regretted that decision for a minute. XBox Live has never had the kind of problems that the PS Network has had. The games come out faster than I can buy them or even get good at them.

Then there's the Kinect - which I bought as a novelty but turned out that I REALLY enjoy it.

Of course, if what you want is Gods of War or another PS-exclusive title, the PS3 is what you want. On the other hand, if Halo is your idea of a good weekend, the XBox wins.

One thing I wish the XBox had done (and apparently will do in the next release, rumored for the Holiday 2013 season) is put in a Blu-Ray drive. They had an external HD-DVD but when that went belly-up, they never made an external Blu-Ray. But, because they are pushing the XBox as a "home entertainment" solution, it would be almost impossible for them to NOT include one in the next round. Not everyone has huge amounts of bandwidth to the house and, even when they do, downloading a 25GB game would still take forever.

Even so, it's not like picking the PS3 would be a bad choice under ANY circumstances.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hey guys, I finally have enough money to spend for a gaming console since I just play games either online on the computer or on my PSP (which, just passed away).

Can anybody recommend a console because I'm stuck between a PS3 or a XBOX. I've tried both consoles, they're great and all but I don't have enough cash (and tv's) to own both.

My hobby's collecting Gundams, which'll explain why it took me so long to save up

Before making your decision, wait another week (due in stores November 18) and take a look at the Wii U from Nintendo. I am not sure if the Wii U will meet your needs but you won't know if you don't look ;) Nintendo is running some great combo deals for around the same price as both the XBox and PS3

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

If you game online with friends or otherwise and want the largest support for third party game titles XBOX is the only way to go. I learned the hard way starting out with PS3 on launch (also have a Wii) and moved to XBOX 360 shortly after and have never looked back. The only advantage the PS3 has is the ability to play Bluray disks. There are now too many good standalone options out there to purchase it for this reason. If you want to game XBOX is still the platform and the price of entry for this console is very reasonable, holiday sales could make it even better.

Do a ton of research before spending your hard earned cash on a Wii U. Nintendo is making a lot of promises with this console but third party game support and online play has always been an issue at Nintendo headquarters. Granted the Nintendo faithful will come out in droves to purchase one but they are so far behind the curve in these areas that there is good reason to sit back and see if they finally get these fixed in this release. Also realize that unless you are part of the 12 and under crowd the online gaming experience will be somewhat less than desirable for teen and adult titles.

You are also spending a premium amount of cash on the Wii U to get a console that is only slightly better in graphics capability than either the XBOX 360 or PS3 in their current form. Both of these systems are also due for refresh in the near term so you can bet there is a very good chance the Wii U will look ancient in a year. The touchscreen controllers being released on Wii U are already out of date (single touch) compared to any current cell phone or touchpad device which are all multi-touch devices. Why would Nintendo choose to recycle the old DS and market that as the controller of the future? Our Wii has sat dormant for many months and I have long since sold off most all of the game titles we had for it.

Good luck in your search.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Look at what games you want to play....sometimes it makes the decision for you....I have an xbox for the Forza racing franchise, I have a PS3 for the Gran Turismo racing franchise....there are a few other exclusive titles for each but you get the idea. If you want to play HALO, you'll need an XBOX....

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

There are 2 significant differences between the "Big 2"

1. Exclusive titles.
Xbox pretty much only has 2 exclusive block busters gears of war and the Halo series for exclusives.
Though XBL has an excellent library of indie games, but alot of these are not exclusive and can be found on PSN as well.

PS3 has, the uncharted series (touted as one of the best series ever made), God of War series, ratchet and clank series, Resistance series, Kill zone series, Sly cooper series. All of these were triple A titles with high praise from reviewers and are exclusive to PS3.

In addition to that theres the huge retro library, theres a ton of classics to choose from generally ranging from 5 to 10$ each on the PSN.(IIRC theres several gundamn games in the PSN right now)
PSN does have a subscription service called PSN+, but what this does is actually net you huge discounts on games and also gives you free games to play every month (pretty nifty imo). You can still play online free of charge without it, its only like a discount club more then anything.

2.Online functions.
In this case you get what you pay for. PSN is free and gets the job done but it is bare bones. You cant party chat from the PSN with friends who are in a game or a separate game like you can on XBL.
XBL is not free.

How ever aside from that thats about all XBL has over PSN, the network is pretty darn solid for both and they have more then enough players to play online with no matter which console you choose. Neither is a baron waste land like fan boys often insinuate.
*Though I do find that I run into more racist tween boys who scream on the mics more on XBL then I do on PSN.

So the question there is, do you want a subscription fee for what is basically just party chat and having to deal with racist annoying children? :P

3. Console life time.
360's are notorious for burning out, even the most recent iteration still suffers from bouts of the red ring of death.
There are several graphs and studies done and the consensus is that statistically 30 to 40% more 360's fail every year then PS3's.

I have all of the consoles because at the moment I run a gaming channel on youtube so being able to use all of the consoles for reviews and gameplay is quite a necessity to me.
So honestly at the end of the day I much prefer my PS3, I can hop onto the PSN and get some online gaming footage without having to deal with kids (ironically you'd think the free service would be loaded with them) and honestly the exclusives for the 360 just dont do it for me there just arent enough for me to have purchased this console of my own choosing (again i bought it because of my channel).

The PS3 pumps out tons of block buster exclusives where as the 360 only basically does sequels of old hits with no new IP's. The other games on 360 are readily available for PS3 too so I see no point in really owning a 360 unless you must have halo or gears other then that the 3rd party games play the exact same way on PS3 and if you want to play them online you can do it for free!

#7 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I am down to just a single PS3 in the house - use it as a bluray player and keep it because the firmware is of the right era to make it special. I have 4 XBOX 360's for gaming and extenders for streaming video and Windows Media Center. The red ring of death is old news. I had a first generation die years ago which Microsoft replaced at no charge to me. I have had zero console failures over the last three years across all four consoles.

XBOX live may have more undesirable opponents playing but that is true of any neighborhood with a much larger population. More people means a greater chance of meeting someone you do not like just like you may have a better chance of also meeting someone you actually do like. When all of your friends are on XBOX Live how do you link up and compete when you are the only one with a PS3?

Believe me I was all in on PS3 in the early days but Microsoft figured out early on that the online experience in gaming is everything, even more important than exclusivity of titles. Of course if you only game by yourself and you only like a title available on PS3 then that makes it an easy decision. I have two avid gamers in my house they are now both teenagers. They were the ones that pushed me into the XBOX to begin with and I have to say they were right.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,674 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

If you're not into online gaming, the PS3 might be a better option. It's there if you play online occasionally, but if you want to access to Netflix streaming etc on the 360, you have to pay for XBox Live plus Netflix.

#9 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys!

I did some resarch and more firsthand gaming experience, and I think I'll probably lean towards the XBOX. My nephew has one and I can persuade him to buy HALO, I kinda influenced him to play fps games as he just plays Nba and Need for speed.

It may sound hard for you guys to believe this, but I rarely watch anything on Bluray or DVD. I'm the kinda guy who'd read the book and watch the history channel (although my exceptions are anime and the occasional sci-fi flick).

I think I'll pass on the Wii U, as based on my experiences with the Wii, I find the controller small. I grew up playing the Nintendo 64 so I got used to the big "reverse trident" as I call it. I sure do miss Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers though.

#10 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

Before making your decision, wait another week (due in stores November 18) and take a look at the Wii U from Nintendo. I am not sure if the Wii U will meet your needs but you won't know if you don't look ;) Nintendo is running some great combo deals for around the same price as both the XBox and PS3

The Wii U looks like a good console, but it lacks games (don't quote me on this though), I was suprised that the first Wii had Call of duty, I tried playing it using the regular controller and my co-workers saw me playing and told me that I either had a seizure or was playing dance revo (the old playstation game).

I do applaud Nintendo for still being #1 when it comes to family themed games

#11 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

[quote name='Inkosaurus']
I have all of the consoles because at the moment I run a gaming channel on youtube so being able to use all of the consoles for reviews and gameplay is quite a necessity to me.
So honestly at the end of the day I much prefer my PS3, I can hop onto the PSN and get some online gaming footage without having to deal with kids (ironically you'd think the free service would be loaded with them) and honestly the exclusives for the 360 just dont do it for me there just arent enough for me to have purchased this console of my own choosing (again i bought it because of my channel).

QUOTE]

Veeery informative. I'm not really sure, but I think I can manage when it comes to gaming hours now that I work. I used to burn at least 60 hours a week on my PS2 and N64 when I was studying, but I made sure that there was a fan next to my consoles.

Title-wise, HALO, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and NBA are the games that I'd revolve around. I did get rude players online when I played HALO at a friend's house, but they'd simmer down once I ran over them. I suck at NBA, but my best buds as well as my brother plays it, so I do so we can play together and hang out.

Can I also know your channel on youtube? I wanna see your reviews, they might help a lot :)

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,674 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think overall the Wii has really only been successful with first party games. They have some heavy hitter characters, I honestly don't know where they'd be without characters like Mario or Donkey Kong and games like the Zelda series.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have had them all....

I had my PS3, and then sold it when I realized I was only using it for Blu-Ray's... and then just replaced it with a Blu-Ray player.

I have had XBOX Live since BETA testing... While it is not free, it is a relatively small fee once a year, fo reverything you get with it.... I think leaps and bounds, XBL is what makes XBOX that much better then the rest.

First Person shooters... you won't go wrong with either PS3 or XBOX, but it is going to be a while to see what the Wii U brings to the table (long term) for first person shooters.

I would go with the XBOX
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

[quote name='alex000'][quote name='Inkosaurus']

QUOTE]

Veeery informative. I'm not really sure, but I think I can manage when it comes to gaming hours now that I work. I used to burn at least 60 hours a week on my PS2 and N64 when I was studying, but I made sure that there was a fan next to my consoles.

Title-wise, HALO, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and NBA are the games that I'd revolve around. I did get rude players online when I played HALO at a friend's house, but they'd simmer down once I ran over them. I suck at NBA, but my best buds as well as my brother plays it, so I do so we can play together and hang out.

Can I also know your channel on youtube? I wanna see your reviews, they might help a lot :)[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.c...1080PixelGaming

Its my second crack at the youtube market, the first one (also originally partnered) got a copyright strike because of one of my dumb contributors uploading the BF3: Close Quarters DLC trailer an hour before Dice made it public lol, so we had to spend about 4 months worth of paper work and emailing between EA and youtube to try and get the strike lifted. Youtube ended up brushing our efforts aside about a month ago and gave us a firm "no" response so we had to start over xD

The new account got partnered through a gaming network in 15 days (which is unheard of XD)

I actually play the Battlefield series as well. I have it on console and on PC and ill be honest man if your going to get BF3 get it for PC. The larger maps are just to big for 12x 12 and are often just hide and go seek chases on conquest.
Its a bit more fun on the infantry based maps like bazaar, metro and seine but they still dont match up to PC's 32 man servers ( dont like the 64 man ones).
Armored Kill on console is 100% unplayable, its just boring as heck for conquest.
Rush on the other hand is actually really good on pretty much every map on console and the 12 v 12 for it actually makes it fairly manageable.

[quote=]XBOX live may have more undesirable opponents playing but that is true of any neighborhood with a much larger population. More people means a greater chance of meeting someone you do not like just like you may have a better chance of also meeting someone you actually do like.[/quote]

Depends on the game.
According to
http://p-stats.com/
And other similar sites (for non Battlefield/EA games) PS3 generally has about 10k more gamers at any given time for BF, CoD(blops,mw2,mw3 and blops2), MoHW and a few others.
Only games ive generally seen to have higher player counts on XBL have been racing game.
Ultimately though in the grandscope of things 10k player differences arent a huge deal when there both boasting 50k+ players a night per game.
Like I said earlier neither network is the baron wasteland alot of people make them out to be.

[quote=]If you're not into online gaming, the PS3 might be a better option. It's there if you play online occasionally, but if you want to access to Netflix streaming etc on the 360, you have to pay for XBox Live plus Netflix.[/quote]

PSN has netflix and a ton of the same apps XBL has too lol.
I dont understand how PSN can be a good choice if your not into online gaming o.O
The games arent any slower or buggier online on PSN then they are on PC or XBL.
When it comes to the gaming aspect of it literally the only difference is that on XBL you can party chat with players who are playing a completely different game. Thats about it.

[quote=]Of course if you only game by yourself and you only like a title available on PS3 then that makes it an easy decision.[/quote]
Again the assertion that PS3 is a bad platform for Online gaming is completely absurd, its just as capable as PC and XBL to play online.

About the exclusive titles its not about having games that are exclusive to it that makes it good. Its the fact that these games are incredibly polished and are generally considered as some of the best games ever made that makes it an appealing option.

The point was on PS3 you can have access to those excellent games AND have access to the other 3rd party games that play just as well on PS3 as they do on any other platform. With PS3 the only games you really miss out on are Halo , Gears and Forza and thats really about it..

#15 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Inkosaurus,
Excellent points and I did not intend my reply to be a negative. I agree that PS3 and XBOX both offer good online experiences.

I should have clarified right away that my kids were the ones that forced the move to XBL because all of their friends were there. This was really the point I was trying to convey, it just came off sounding more like a dig against PSN.

I personally leave the chat off during random online gaming sessions. I only use it on the rare occasion I am invited to one of my sons private sessions with his friends. The old man gets lucky once in awhile. :)

#16 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Inkosaurus -

Saw your feed, lotsa cool stuff. Saw a lot there and on "BF3- 5 Tips to be a Better Team Mate," I lol'd as I heard your comment about "don't bring 6 c4's or 7 rpg's" because I was guilty on that part. I used to use the overkill perk (a sniper and a smg) on COD and use three frag grenades (nothing says you're f****d like a couple of grenades).

spam firewall