After messing with the wires inside and switching them many times, my HR25 now would show no signal at all on tuner 2. swap wires, and no sig on tuner 1. And I was only getting a few station here and there. So my attention sent outside, other receiver still seemed to be working, its an SD DVR btw.
I hobbled up to the roof and suspected the Zim 6x10 multi-switch. Its old and it was sitting on the roof ina pile of leaves where D** left it after their professional install (sarc). Pulling the wires from the sat they all appears fine. from the receivers however one from the HR25 was completely corroded. BAM I thought I found the problem. bought a new RG6 50ft cable and installed it. I thought I fixed the problem. Went to check signals, Nope...SAME problem.
So I went back up and swapped ports on the Multiswitch. Same problem. By this time I was able to only get a few local stations and nothing else.
Sat Signal showed only odd transponders only on tuner 2. swap wires and only odd transponders on tuner 1. Now the other SD DVR started acting up. And when it was unplugged there was NO signal at all on the HR25. SO I figured probably bad MS and might as well get replacement LNB since mine was old.
INstalled new Multiswitch...No change whatsoever..in fact rather than even getting odd transponders and being able to watch a few channels, everything showed 0. SD DVR same thing. Put the old MS back on, and again odd transponders good 95-97.
So I changed the LNB. Same result...only odd transponders on 1 tuner.
So I put the new MS on...Again 0 - everything.
So...what was the problem...well, thanks to many people explaining things better, I started bypassing the MS alltogether. And connected cables directly to wires coming out my SL3 4-output lnb. I found signals on 3 of the 4 wires. I figured all would be fine...nope, later yesterday lost another tuner.
Climbed back up there with a camera app on my phone to watch the signals...as I moved wires around signals would come on and off...
The wires and barrel connectors inside the arm of the dish were also bad. pulled the lnb off, removed 2 wires that were dead and put 2 new ones in along with all new blue barrel connectors and a new ground block No Multiswitch. tested all the wires in every combo and problem was fixed.
Other than the 1 corroded wire, ALL of the wires and barrel connectors are new, and I have 97-99 on all tuners now.
What are the chances ? I dont know?
Bad brand new Multiswitch, bad wires INSIDE the lnb arm, Bad Old multiswitch, Bad Old LNB (I tested it and only 2 ports work)...And the kik was that it all cascaded...I almost wonder if fixing the corroded wire and such allowed wnough new voltage from the boxes to finish the rest of the wires. My theory is lightning caused damage and with the humidity and rain here lately that damage finally corroded enough stuff to fry everythig up to the lnb.
I now know enough about how the reeivers power the lnb, and how the lnb and SWN types work to probably fix this a lot sooner...the real kick in the pants was the intermittenet failure of signal directly from the factory dish wires coming out of the arm...they look 100% brand new, but 2 of them are bad internally.
thanks again all.