Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation Riddle with SL3 Multiswitch system

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,392 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

On the H21, nothing "apparent" happens when the "powering" receiver either changes channels or turns off.

For the non-powering receiver, I'm not noticing any missing channels. What would I be looking for on the various transponders?

When you "turn off" the "powering" receiver, it will still be powering the LNB.

"The other one" should have problems with either the odd or even tps on the 101 SAT.

If it doesn't, then its working, and go pull the power cord on the other receiver and recheck the tps on 101.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

OK, new information.

Finally this weekend I found a way to get the H21 to work on the SL3 dish, and the answer is that just like on the legacy dish, the H21 will get a sat signal if the legacy receiver is also plugged up to that same SL3 dish.

Said another way -- the H21 receiver will work on either the legacy dish or the slimline 3 dish IF the legacy receiver (or presumably any other receiver) is also plugged into that same dish! If you disconnect the legacy receiver from whichever dish, the H21 receiver says "searching for signal".

Experts -- what does that tell you? Is there a problem with the DC voltage carried out to the LNB by the H21?

Dave

Ok, pretty much what I thought.

There are two things it is likely to be: a bad cable or a bad receiver.

Try putting the H21 in the room the standard is in and leave the standard disconnected.

If the H21 works, the line heading to it's normal location has issues. Look for corroded connecters, cuts in the line, etc.

If the H21 doesn't work, call for a replacement.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#23 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

The H21 (and its associated coax) will function as a voltage source but cannot supply sufficient power on its own to power the LNB. As long as there is a power source (another receiver) to furnish current to the LNB, it all works. On its own the '21 cannot supply enough current to power the LNB. (this is not an LNB problem as the same thing happens on at least 3 LNBs). With the LNB powered otherwise, the voltage available from the '21 will switch polarity.

The problem could be a defective power source in the '21 or a lossy piece of coax. As has been suggested swap the '21 with the other receiver (effectively swapping the coax). If the problem moves with the receiver then the '21 is defective. If the problem stays with the coax then the coax is the problem.

#24 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Whilst inspecting the cable, if there are any barrel connectors they should be checked to make sure that the dialectric is blue or orange. That has caused me grief in some motels with l-band wiring. Piss-poor, low pass only barrel connectors are the equivalent of a questionable cable.

#25 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

This is all still confusing;

A legacy (four output) SL-3 has an integrated voltage/tone multiswitch in its LNB does it not?

Therefore it should only produce satellite signals on the port(s) supplied with a proper control signal. In this case the one the SD receiver is connected to.

If the H21 is not supplying proper voltage/tone control signals to its connected port on the LNB there should be no satellite signal output from it regardless of the SD receiver's correct control signal on its own port.

This is the reason un-used ports on legacy voltage/tone multiswitches do not need terminating caps.

With no voltage/tone control input from a receiver there is no satellite signal output.

Edited by HoTat2, 06 December 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

This is all still confusing;

A legacy (four output) SL-3 has an integrated voltage/tone multiswitch in its LNB does it not?

Therefore it should only produce satellite signals on the port(s) supplied with a proper control signal. In this case the one the SD receiver is connected to.

If the H21 is not supplying proper voltage/tone control signals to its connected port on the LNB there should be no satellite signal output from it regardless of the SD receiver's correct control signal on its own port.

This is the reason un-used ports on legacy voltage/tone multiswitches do not need terminating caps.

With no voltage/tone control input from a receiver there is no satellite signal output.

the H21 could be supplying voltage, but lower than the required 13/18 v. i have personally witnessed situations similar to this. in one case a receiver on the system would only tune to transponders that another receiver was currently tuned to. i honestly believe this technology is like dentistry - it is not an EXACT science.

spam firewall