Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation Riddle with SL3 Multiswitch system

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

On the H21, nothing "apparent" happens when the "powering" receiver either changes channels or turns off.

For the non-powering receiver, I'm not noticing any missing channels. What would I be looking for on the various transponders?

When you "turn off" the "powering" receiver, it will still be powering the LNB.

"The other one" should have problems with either the odd or even tps on the 101 SAT.

If it doesn't, then its working, and go pull the power cord on the other receiver and recheck the tps on 101.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

OK, new information.

Finally this weekend I found a way to get the H21 to work on the SL3 dish, and the answer is that just like on the legacy dish, the H21 will get a sat signal if the legacy receiver is also plugged up to that same SL3 dish.

Said another way -- the H21 receiver will work on either the legacy dish or the slimline 3 dish IF the legacy receiver (or presumably any other receiver) is also plugged into that same dish! If you disconnect the legacy receiver from whichever dish, the H21 receiver says "searching for signal".

Experts -- what does that tell you? Is there a problem with the DC voltage carried out to the LNB by the H21?

Dave

Ok, pretty much what I thought.

There are two things it is likely to be: a bad cable or a bad receiver.

Try putting the H21 in the room the standard is in and leave the standard disconnected.

If the H21 works, the line heading to it's normal location has issues. Look for corroded connecters, cuts in the line, etc.

If the H21 doesn't work, call for a replacement.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#23 ONLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

The H21 (and its associated coax) will function as a voltage source but cannot supply sufficient power on its own to power the LNB. As long as there is a power source (another receiver) to furnish current to the LNB, it all works. On its own the '21 cannot supply enough current to power the LNB. (this is not an LNB problem as the same thing happens on at least 3 LNBs). With the LNB powered otherwise, the voltage available from the '21 will switch polarity.

The problem could be a defective power source in the '21 or a lossy piece of coax. As has been suggested swap the '21 with the other receiver (effectively swapping the coax). If the problem moves with the receiver then the '21 is defective. If the problem stays with the coax then the coax is the problem.

#24 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Whilst inspecting the cable, if there are any barrel connectors they should be checked to make sure that the dialectric is blue or orange. That has caused me grief in some motels with l-band wiring. Piss-poor, low pass only barrel connectors are the equivalent of a questionable cable.

#25 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

This is all still confusing;

A legacy (four output) SL-3 has an integrated voltage/tone multiswitch in its LNB does it not?

Therefore it should only produce satellite signals on the port(s) supplied with a proper control signal. In this case the one the SD receiver is connected to.

If the H21 is not supplying proper voltage/tone control signals to its connected port on the LNB there should be no satellite signal output from it regardless of the SD receiver's correct control signal on its own port.

This is the reason un-used ports on legacy voltage/tone multiswitches do not need terminating caps.

With no voltage/tone control input from a receiver there is no satellite signal output.

Edited by HoTat2, 06 December 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

This is all still confusing;

A legacy (four output) SL-3 has an integrated voltage/tone multiswitch in its LNB does it not?

Therefore it should only produce satellite signals on the port(s) supplied with a proper control signal. In this case the one the SD receiver is connected to.

If the H21 is not supplying proper voltage/tone control signals to its connected port on the LNB there should be no satellite signal output from it regardless of the SD receiver's correct control signal on its own port.

This is the reason un-used ports on legacy voltage/tone multiswitches do not need terminating caps.

With no voltage/tone control input from a receiver there is no satellite signal output.

the H21 could be supplying voltage, but lower than the required 13/18 v. i have personally witnessed situations similar to this. in one case a receiver on the system would only tune to transponders that another receiver was currently tuned to. i honestly believe this technology is like dentistry - it is not an EXACT science.

#27 OFFLINE   ARIZONA-DAVE

ARIZONA-DAVE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Arizona

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Im posting this because this forum and the GREAT information from several members was instrumental in me fixing my problem. Without this forum, I would have spent several hundreds of dollars on several D*V tech calls and probably would have been FORCED onto a new 2-year contract which I do not want, on new equip I do not want.

3 months ago my HR20 or 22 started acting up...long story short, I could not watch one channel and record another. Sat signals seemed fine, several calls to D*V svc and they send me an HR25 replacement. During setup it noted several probs with sat 99 and 103, but 101 was fine. Called support and they just told me to click "Continue" Seemed to work for a few mins, went back to office, when I came home only half my channels would come one. And only for 5 minutes or so before 771 signal loss. The receiver in the other room was working perfectly fine.

I messed around with the wires, reset the device which takes FOREVER, and to my surprise I could get a signal out of either wire. But afte a few minutes of watching TV, or changing the channel, Bam 771 again. called tech, they had be swap the cables, reset, run diags, etc. Again, after resetting I could watch a channel for a few mins then nothing. Another call and Im told "$50 tech service fee and most likely we need to *upgrade* your equipment onto the new stuff which requires a 2-yr contract" Needless to say I told them where to stuff it.

10 days later I now have a working system...100% working THANKS to the many people on this forum.

My problems seemed to cascade...once I fixed one thing, another problem would surface, I will post what those experiences wee, and what I did to fix them on next post:

#28 OFFLINE   ARIZONA-DAVE

ARIZONA-DAVE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Arizona

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

After messing with the wires inside and switching them many times, my HR25 now would show no signal at all on tuner 2. swap wires, and no sig on tuner 1. And I was only getting a few station here and there. So my attention sent outside, other receiver still seemed to be working, its an SD DVR btw.

I hobbled up to the roof and suspected the Zim 6x10 multi-switch. Its old and it was sitting on the roof ina  pile of leaves where D** left it after their professional install (sarc). Pulling the wires from the sat they all appears fine. from the receivers however one from the HR25 was completely corroded. BAM I thought I found the problem. bought a new RG6 50ft cable and installed it. I thought I fixed the problem. Went to check signals, Nope...SAME problem.

So I went back up and swapped ports on the Multiswitch. Same problem. By this time I was able to only get a few local stations and nothing else.

Sat Signal showed only odd transponders only on tuner 2. swap wires and only odd transponders on tuner 1. Now the other SD DVR started acting up. And when it was unplugged there was NO signal at all on the HR25. SO I figured probably bad MS and might as well get replacement LNB since mine was old.

INstalled new Multiswitch...No change whatsoever..in fact rather than even getting odd transponders and being able to watch a few channels, everything showed 0. SD DVR same thing. Put the old MS back on, and again odd transponders good 95-97.

So I changed the LNB. Same result...only odd transponders on 1 tuner.

So I put the new MS on...Again 0 - everything.

So...what was the problem...well, thanks to many people explaining things better, I started bypassing the MS alltogether. And connected cables directly to wires coming out my SL3 4-output lnb. I found signals on 3 of the 4 wires. I figured all would be fine...nope, later yesterday lost another tuner.

Climbed back up there with a camera app on my phone to watch the signals...as I moved wires around signals would come on and off...

The wires and barrel connectors inside the arm of the dish were also bad. pulled the lnb off, removed 2 wires that were dead and put 2 new ones in along with all new blue barrel connectors and a new ground block No Multiswitch. tested all the wires in every combo and problem was fixed.

Other than the 1 corroded wire, ALL of the wires and barrel connectors are new, and I have 97-99 on all tuners now.

What are the chances ? I dont know?

Bad brand new Multiswitch, bad wires INSIDE the lnb arm, Bad Old multiswitch, Bad Old LNB (I tested it and only 2 ports work)...And the kik was that it all cascaded...I almost wonder if fixing the corroded wire and such allowed wnough new voltage from the boxes to finish the rest of the wires. My theory is lightning caused damage and with the humidity and rain here lately that damage finally corroded enough stuff to fry everythig up to the lnb.

I now know enough about how the reeivers power the lnb, and how the lnb and SWN types work to probably fix this a lot sooner...the real kick in the pants was the intermittenet failure of signal directly from the factory dish wires coming out of the arm...they look 100% brand new, but 2 of them are bad internally.

thanks again all.

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,908 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Great work on your part, glad you got it all sorted out. Don't recall if I posted this before, but there is a dish/LNB fact/info sheet in the tips and resources forum that covers the stack plans and all of that very comprehensively. I'm not on a computer that easily let's me search and link right now, or I would post a link to it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...