Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Extra Innings Package Changes?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I answered a survey from DirecTV regarding MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV. The questions were all geared towards the possibility of offering multiple package options for EI including bundling EI with MLB.TV, or purchasing MLB.TV through them and watching MLB.TV through your DVR. They also hinted at prices for the different package options. The current EI package as it is now appears to be dropping in price about about 50% judging from the survey questions.

Two years ago I dropped EI and went to MLB.TV because it was a lot less expensive; I was able to have more viewing options; I was able to watch it outside my home; and I was able to watch archived games. Some of the DirecTV EI packages options that were offered in the survey included these options as well.

Perhaps someone with some insight can chime in

Anyone else get this survey?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I haven't gotten the survey. But I did drop EI in favor of MLB TV this year. It was a no brainer for me.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#3 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

i will not be order the e anyone unless d come down on their fees.

#4 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

MLB does a disservice to their PPV partners by pricing MLB.TV so low compared to MLBEI. With the ease of use with Smart TVs, Smart Bluray, Internet TV devices, and the like, and the PQ not being much different than standard TV, it is almost a no-brainer to just simply get MLB.TV.

The NBA includes internet access with their TV package, and to a certain extent so does the NFL, and it's good to see MLB maybe joining that trend.

#5 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

I think this is the way of the future for the sports packages. I could return to Extra innings if it was combined. I left several years ago to MLB.TV.

#6 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

I switched to DirecTV a month ago but have been an mlb.tv subscriber since the service began. I wish DirecTV would lower the price to match the online subscription. The PQ is better on regular HD TV than on the apps. Also, I've had several different devices with the mlb app and the PQ is inconsistent.

If you subscribe to EI is access to the MLB apps free like it is with mlb.tv?

HR34 w/ one client, AM21N, Choice Ultimate, HD Extra Pack, Sports Pack, Extra Innings

#7 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

IMO the picture quality on MLBtv is inferior when compared to EI.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#8 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,106 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

I answered a survey from DirecTV regarding MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV. The questions were all geared towards the possibility of offering multiple package options for EI including bundling EI with MLB.TV, or purchasing MLB.TV through them and watching MLB.TV through your DVR. They also hinted at prices for the different package options. The current EI package as it is now appears to be dropping in price about about 50% judging from the survey questions.

Two years ago I dropped EI and went to MLB.TV because it was a lot less expensive; I was able to have more viewing options; I was able to watch it outside my home; and I was able to watch archived games. Some of the DirecTV EI packages options that were offered in the survey included these options as well.

Perhaps someone with some insight can chime in

Anyone else get this survey?

yup, received and answered!

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

I switched to DirecTV a month ago but have been an mlb.tv subscriber since the service began. I wish DirecTV would lower the price to match the online subscription. The PQ is better on regular HD TV than on the apps. Also, I've had several different devices with the mlb app and the PQ is inconsistent.

If you subscribe to EI is access to the MLB apps free like it is with mlb.tv?

No. It isn't included.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

No. It isn't included.

It hasn't been included. Perhaps there are some changes coming? Perhaps Satelliteracer has some info he can share?

#11 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

It would be nice if they make the price comparable to mlb.tv and include the ability to watch on the apps at no extra charge like mlb.tv now does. The PQ is so much better on DirecTV than through the app on my blu-ray player. If they did all of this I would ditch mlb.tv and go with EI.

mlb.tv airs all of the games, home and away feeds. EI doesn't do this does it? That might make a difference to me. I'm in Alabama and enjoy watching my beloved Orioles on MASN.

HR34 w/ one client, AM21N, Choice Ultimate, HD Extra Pack, Sports Pack, Extra Innings

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

IMO the picture quality on MLBtv is inferior when compared to EI.

That is true, but, IMO, the PQ of MLBtv is not inferior enough to justify EI being almost double the price while having far less features.

With the PS3 version of MLBtv I can even get a synced radio feed for the game.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#13 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

MLBTV Picture quality has greatly improved every year, but the biggest thing for me is the mobility, Iphone, Ipad, Xbox, DVD players, etc & for half the price i can watch/listen to it almost anywhere

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

It would be nice if they make the price comparable to mlb.tv and include the ability to watch on the apps at no extra charge like mlb.tv now does. The PQ is so much better on DirecTV than through the app on my blu-ray player. If they did all of this I would ditch mlb.tv and go with EI.

mlb.tv airs all of the games, home and away feeds. EI doesn't do this does it? That might make a difference to me. I'm in Alabama and enjoy watching my beloved Orioles on MASN.

Not live they dont. Unless you live in a coverage area that there is no MLB team I guess. For me there are a few teams blacked out on MLB (Rangers, Royals and Cards).
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Not live they dont. Unless you live in a coverage area that there is no MLB team I guess. For me there are a few teams blacked out on MLB (Rangers, Royals and Cards).

I live in the Braves market but get all Orioles games, home and away feeds, live through mlb.tv.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

That is true, but, IMO, the PQ of MLBtv is not inferior enough to justify EI being almost double the price while having far less features.

With the PS3 version of MLBtv I can even get a synced radio feed for the game.

Oh. For me it sure is. I use MLB.tv for mobile purposes. The PQ is horrible for the big screen.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Actually, every MASN game is on directv's EI.

They do the vast majority in home and away feeds. MASN is always on.

What you do not get on MLB.tv is your local team. No live broadcast of the local team at all. Only archived games. That part is the dumbest part. I live in MASN territory and can't watch the MASN games live on my idevice.

#18 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I live in the Braves market but get all Orioles games, home and away feeds, live through mlb.tv.

Thats not what I was saying. Your post said MLB.tv airs all games home and away. That may be true but not LIVE.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

In order for me to order EI from DirecTV next year, they would need to make it available for mobile and probably lower the price a little. The mobile part is key for me. I chose MLB.TV for that reason alone last year. It really sucks too because I would much rather watch the games from my HD DVR's at the house then my PS3 and use up bandwidth.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#20 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thats not what I was saying. Your post said MLB.tv airs all games home and away. That may be true but not LIVE.

I get all games, home and away feeds, LIVE through mlb.tv except for the team blacked out in my area (Braves).

spam firewall