Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Extra Innings Package Changes?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Then I must be in the privileged minority. I posted video before showing there is no difference. I posted video before and nobody could guess which came from the EI and which came from D*

Here is a video posted by someone else from 2 years ago when the PQ was much worse. I cannot upload the one I did since I am not at home. Keep in mind you are watching a video online (through YouTube) which alone denigrates the quality, and it is in 720p only. If it was uploaded in 1080P the PQ would be even better. Don't forget to select 720p before watching.

To compare the quality of the video being streamed, compare the PQ of the video to the image of the PS3 control icons and the MLB.TV menu (since these images have nothing to do with PQ quality of MLB.TV). You will see that the blur is the same, meaning the blur is due to YouTube, not MLB.TV.

Sorry. Don't need any stinkin captured video from anyone on a smallish screen.

You simply have low standards or have deluded yourself because of the price difference.

MLB.tv has its selling points. PQ isn't one of them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Then I must be in the privileged minority then. I posted video before showing there is no difference. I posted video before and nobody could guess which came from the EI and which came from D*

Here is a video posted by someone else from 2 years ago when the PQ was much worse. I cannot upload the one I did since I am not at home. Keep in mind you are watching a video online (through YouTube) which alone denigrates the quality, and it is in 720p only. If it was uploaded in 1080P the PQ would be even better. Don't forget to select 720p before watching.

Upload all you want, post your rants all you want, you do it every year... many of us clearly see the difference. Can't you just accept that there's many of us who prefer and can tell better VQ?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#43 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sorry. Don't need any stinkin captured video from anyone on a smallish screen.

You simply have low standards or have deluded yourself because of the price difference.

MLB.tv has its selling points. PQ isn't one of them.

Smallish screen? OK...

Take from it what you want. The image is there to see. If it is better than what you are getting, then I do not know what to tell you. If it still looks bad to you, then we have a difference of opinion about what constitutes bad.

Upload all you want, post your rants all you want, you do it every year... many of us clearly see the difference. Can't you just accept that there's many of us who prefer and can tell better VQ?

Rant? Not ranting at all. Just like you, I am simply posting what I see, my opinion, and the evidence to support it. I have posted several screen captures, and videos from my TV of both MLB.TV and EI. Perhaps I am one of the few lucky ones? Perhaps you are one of the many unfortunate ones? All I can say is the evidence I have posted clearly shows that there is not much difference from the two different sources on my TV. Perhaps I am just a lucky man?
If it looks awful to you, then it is awful too you.

#44 OFFLINE   mcees4life

mcees4life

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

i got no reason to get EI as i live in Braves territory and thats the only games i care about lol

exactly how i feel as a Nats fan who lives in DC lol
Sent from my iPhone

#45 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Anyway, the main point of me starting this thread was to see if there will be changes to EI. I am hoping Satracer chimes in soon. If he does know anything and is intentionally not saying anything, it could be because he cannot say anything yet.

#46 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have a roku and tons of bandwidth. I shouldn't have to buy a specific unit for MLB quality.

It is horrible.

I stream a lot of programming. It is among the worst. It is inconsistent and cannot handle any movement at all.

Given that this forum screamed about HD lite and argues over grass on espn, I have no idea how you can tell people MLB is good quality.

Agreed on all fronts. I can access MLBTV via Roku or PS3.

Have plenty of bandwidth and stream quite a few other Media apps via the Roku and PS3.

MLBTV is "light years" behind MLBEI on PQ.

Like the service(MLBTV) for it's mobility and several other options.

PQ though ain't even remotely comparable.

Edited by davidatl14, 16 November 2012 - 02:36 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#47 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Anyway, the main point of me starting this thread was to see if there will be changes to EI. I am hoping Satracer chimes in soon. If he does know anything and is intentionally not saying anything, it could be because he cannot say anything yet.

Hope some of the changes happen. Less money and more product always is good.

I doubt you will get a rise out of anyone official based on a survey. When we get closer to the season, maybe some input and possibilities.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#48 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,134 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

He could return the favor by putting together a highlight film of the Yankee hits in the ALCS this year. Pretty short film.

!rolling!rolling!rolling!rolling!rolling

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#49 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yeah. Wish I could subscribe. I WANT to give MLB or DirecTV my money. But, they insist on being stupid with their blackout rules. I'll pay double, due to the lack of a Philly RSN.

All I get is the At Bat app, so at least I can listen to the radio feeds. They deemed those as being acceptable to be heard anywhere.

#50 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yeah. Wish I could subscribe. I WANT to give MLB or DirecTV my money. But, they insist on being stupid with their blackout rules.

Yep, same reason they no longer get my money.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#51 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yep, same reason they no longer get my money.

things are changing for the better and will come next year:
http://www.bizofbase...rials&Itemid=39

Beginning in 2014, subscribers of MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV have the opportunity to watch Saturday MLB on FOX games subject to certain geographic black outs that protect games assigned to local FOX affiliates.

I must have read this ten times. What FOX and MLB did was throw this writer a curve. What will happen is not too dissimilar to the local blackouts (which, yes, MLB… you’re still going to have to figure out one day). FOX selects three regional games each Saturday. If, let’s say, the Rangers were playing the Angels in Anaheim, then those within that regional broadcast area would be blacked out on MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV for that game and forced to watch on FOX. But, if the Yankees were playing in New York and you were within that West Coast television territory for the Angels game, that wouldn’t be blacked out thus allowing you to truly get a complete out-off-market package. Given the money in play with the new deal (FOX jumps from $257.1 million annually to approx. $500 million a year), the fact that FOX relinquished any exclusivity is a major miracle. In other words, be happy and take it, baseball fans.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#52 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

It's been said here, but I'll reiterate it. MLB.TV PQ through the Roku was actually quite good this year. Much better than 2011.

I live in my teams home market, but I like to watch games that affect NL Central standings, and for this MLB.TV is perfect.

If I weren't in the Reds home market, I'd subscribe to MLB.TV at half the price to have access on mobile. I didn't miss a game when traveling because I had my phone, tablet and travel Roku with me. Extra Innings can't do that.

If D* offered mobile, Roku and better PQ with EI for a $50 premium I might do that. For double the money and no Roku (they block HBO Go on Roku so I assume they'd do the same to EI) I'll stick to MLB.TV.

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

It's been said here, but I'll reiterate it. MLB.TV PQ through the Roku was actually quite good this year. Much better than 2011.

I live in my teams home market, but I like to watch games that affect NL Central standings, and for this MLB.TV is perfect.

If I weren't in the Reds home market, I'd subscribe to MLB.TV at half the price to have access on mobile. I didn't miss a game when traveling because I had my phone, tablet and travel Roku with me. Extra Innings can't do that.

If D* offered mobile, Roku and better PQ with EI for a $50 premium I might do that. For double the money and no Roku (they block HBO Go on Roku so I assume they'd do the same to EI) I'll stick to MLB.TV.

They do offer NBA LP on roku as part of the package.

MLB.tv and LP online are managed by the leagues not directv.

#54 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

MLB.tv is better for me. I watch on my iPad via the AtBat app while wifey has a show on the tv. We're together and I can still follow the game.

#55 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

As a sub of MLB.TV, I got an e-mail survey that was rather brief. It did ask who my TV provider was and if I subbed to Extra Innings. Could be interesting....

#56 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

As a sub of MLB.TV, I got an e-mail survey that was rather brief. It did ask who my TV provider was and if I subbed to Extra Innings. Could be interesting....

Received the same email and survey. Lets hope that at the end of the day, EI and MLB.TV is bundled for one price!

#57 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Received the same email and survey. Lets hope that at the end of the day, EI and MLB.TV is bundled for one price!

That's the direction they(MLB) are headed in. Tim Bronsan (EVP of MLB) spoke to this extensively at the Sports Business Journal symposium.

I will see if I can find the article and post a link to it. I'm pretty sure Fang's Bites may have a link.

Short VersionHelps pump up the number of total subs to the EI package across all MLBEI TV distributors just in time for negotiation/renewal of Carriage Deals of the MLB Network and MLBEI with the plethora of Providers.

Helps shield the Sub numbers from self cannibalism.

Edited by davidatl14, 06 December 2012 - 09:02 AM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#58 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have two homes and have D* at my main home with EI and multiple ROKU (and WD TV Live boxes) at my weekend place ... I always have had to buy both MLB.TV and EI since I wanted the perfect picture quality at the main house and I didnt want the Cable version or the cost at the other home ... if they included MLB.TV with EI I would be ecstatic I think but if I lose picture quality at my main home I wont be as pleased with the savings ... BTW the ROKU PQ got much better by the end of last season than it has been in the past and the WD TV live box (which includes a great slingbox app as well) has very high quality streams of MLB.TV as well... not quite D* EI but certainly not bad at all.

#59 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Can you start a game on Mlb.TV that's already in progress >from the beginning< and then catchup by fast forwarding through ads and such? That's a pretty compelling feature of EI (assuming you recorded the game).

#60 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Can you start a game on Mlb.TV that's already in progress >from the beginning< and then catchup by fast forwarding through ads and such? That's a pretty compelling feature of EI (assuming you recorded the game).

Of course.

spam firewall