Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S229 S230/Joey S278 Software Experiences/Bugs

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I take it this update did nothing to make a 2 Hopper install "seamless"? This is basically what I'm waiting on. Once 2 Hoppers can behave as one I'll sign up.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I take it this update did nothing to make a 2 Hopper install "seamless"? This is basically what I'm waiting on. Once 2 Hoppers can behave as one I'll sign up.

No, I have 2 Hoppers and 1 EHD. The EHD can only be seen from the EHD connected Hopper. I was hoping also for a more complete integration.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#23 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Prepare to be waiting possibly indefinitely.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#24 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I never got S223.

I also never got S223.

#25 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

I also never got S223.

Maybe they picked us for betas? not.....:lol:
It does seem S229 is not in wide release though.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

We will watch your, slow agonize, especially with OTA box.
:D

#27 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

No agony here! Works great! Really enjoying the OTA! The software is stable so far.

BTW channel changing isn't slow here. Same speed as always. Overall the receivers feel smoother.

#28 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

My Hoppers now have S230. Joeys are still S278. So far, nothing new compared to S229. OTA still working great! I swear this OTA dongle is stronger than the MT2 module was. Perhaps that is because the signal doesn't have to be split for 2 tuners, though.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 16 November 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Mine got S230/S278 this morning at 2:38am.

It looks like My Rentals are now shared between Hoppers ... a show I rented on one Hopper is showing up on the other Hopper (and vice versa).

#30 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Mine got S230/S278 this morning at 2:38am.

It looks like My Rentals are now shared between Hoppers ... a show I rented on one Hopper is showing up on the other Hopper (and vice versa).

This is promising. I'm hoping for full integration. As long as each Hopper and Joey can see the schedules and lists of each other then I'm sold. I want to see it act as one cohesive unit the way the Genie does. I wnder if anyone on the DIRTTeam can get that kind of info. If Dish is indeed working on this functionality, you think they would put it out there.
BAN the FCC!

#31 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

While you're hoping that they do "full" integration (not likely) I on the other hand hope that they do not do "full" integration.

#32 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

While you're hoping that they do "full" integration (not likely) I on the other hand hope that they do not do "full" integration.

I can't fathom why anyone would not want full integration. It would make usage so much simpler as far as not having to slect which Hopper you want from which Joey and having a cohesive list for all recordings and allowing the Hopper's to manage free tuners. I could manage it as it stands, but when you have 4 others in the home that aren't tech savvy it just saves the trouble.

In the very least, a user selectable option to either use Integration or use as standalone would be best for those that don't want it. That would keep more people happy. I just want a shared schedule list and Guide accross all conected devices and a shared recoring list and possibly shared external storage.

I like the way Genie does it, but DirecTV is missing too many HD's right now for me. That or Dish needs to offer a "true" 6 tuner Hopper for customers that want one. There is an obvious demand for what I'm asking for if visit various threads and other forums. I don't see how them providing TWO Hoppers is any more cost effective than offering and deploying ONE where applicable. Sure there is a hardware cost, but they can charge an upfront for those subs who want that unit. I'd pay to get it within reason since I have to pay for a second Hopper anyway.
BAN the FCC!

#33 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

This is promising. I'm hoping for full integration. As long as each Hopper and Joey can see the schedules and lists of each other then I'm sold. I want to see it act as one cohesive unit the way the Genie does. I wnder if anyone on the DIRTTeam can get that kind of info. If Dish is indeed working on this functionality, you think they would put it out there.

You might think it would make sense to announce their intentions to add such functionality but the down side would be very upset customers if they ran into some unforeseen problem that prevented them from releasing it. It is also best in general not to tip off your competition on what you are planning to do.

I'd like to see the option to manage it all as one big system but the first things I'd like to see them add (now that the OTA Module is released!) is the ability for one Hopper to view the EHDs connected to a second Hopper and manual timers.

#34 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Makes sense, but the competition already has what we are talking about as far as basic integration. Most cable companies are so far behind they'll never catch up or choose not too. Time Warner here has great channel selection and a solid bundle. I'm in their top tier of service with Signature Home. However, because they refuse to scrub their home brew abortion of a guide I'm stuck with a useless DVR. The could go to a 6 tuner Arris Whole Home, but they won't.

So, I'm here looking to other providers to get what I need even if it means giving up some HD. DirecTV has the concept right, but Dish has the better channel selection and GUI. No single provider has nailed it except for maybe Buckeye Cable, but they are getting closer.

The EHD would certainly be nice.
BAN the FCC!

#35 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

What does it show today? It almost looks like one could check there Smart Card number to see if there in the range listed below, then you would known how close you are to being next if they are just incrementing the numbers to give them a phased roll-out.

Spooling at 61.5W:

PID=08E0h	 11/12/12 23:02:44
 DownloadID:40NA
 Upgrading parts of new FW with filters:
 S229:'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S228','AYA7'-'AYA7'
 S229:'1[A-D0-2]1[A-B0-1]'&'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S229','AYA7'-'AYA7'
 New FW:'S229'&'S229'
 List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN:
'1...'&'NA[CFJ].': 	{XiP813}  R0000000001-R4000000000

Strange criteria: by BootSW version and for S2.23 and up

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

could check there Smart Card number

nope, you'll need check your receiver's CAID number: Rxxxxxxxxxx.

#37 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I can't fathom why anyone would not want full integration. It would make usage so much simpler as far as not having to slect which Hopper you want from which Joey and having a cohesive list for all recordings and allowing the Hopper's to manage free tuners. I could manage it as it stands, but when you have 4 others in the home that aren't tech savvy it just saves the trouble.

In the very least, a user selectable option to either use Integration or use as standalone would be best for those that don't want it. That would keep more people happy. I just want a shared schedule list and Guide accross all conected devices and a shared recoring list and possibly shared external storage.

I like the way Genie does it, but DirecTV is missing too many HD's right now for me. That or Dish needs to offer a "true" 6 tuner Hopper for customers that want one. There is an obvious demand for what I'm asking for if visit various threads and other forums. I don't see how them providing TWO Hoppers is any more cost effective than offering and deploying ONE where applicable. Sure there is a hardware cost, but they can charge an upfront for those subs who want that unit. I'd pay to get it within reason since I have to pay for a second Hopper anyway.

Each Hopper can hold 96 timers and nearly 1000 recordings. I don't want to have to wade through 3 Hoppers' worth of content every time I browse. Besides, if you want "full" integration, just use a Joey. It can link to any Hopper and manage it from one location.

Besides, 2Hoppers is twice the amount of recording space as the Genie. 3 is even better!

#38 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Maybe someone already asked this (sorry):
1) can PTAT be set on OTA or is it strictly going to use Dish locals?
2) I assume OTA will be shared with Joeys, correct?

#39 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Each Hopper can hold 96 timers and nearly 1000 recordings. I don't want to have to wade through 3 Hoppers' worth of content every time I browse. Besides, if you want "full" integration, just use a Joey. It can link to any Hopper and manage it from one location.

Besides, 2Hoppers is twice the amount of recording space as the Genie. 3 is even better!

I get your point. If they do integration it should be a toggle on/off option. The DVR doesn't have a folder based list option? It would be easier to sort through that way. The Time Warner DVR has title only so each line is is populated. No folders.

The discussion of options is good. Especially if the powers that be are taking note. I don't think anyone would disagree with having a toggle option for unifying or separating the Hoppers.
BAN the FCC!

#40 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I just wish they would fix the icon issue in EHDs....even the buggy 922 eventually got it.
Thank you and
Best of luck

spam firewall