Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S229 S230/Joey S278 Software Experiences/Bugs

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

You only need 1 Internet connection for the Hopper. You are getting conflicts because you have 2 IP addresses, 1 for each Hopper. Removing 1 should resolve this issue for you. Thanks.

I had guessed that might be the problem so I'm going to disconnect one of them and see if that clears it up. I just had them installed on Sunday and haven't done a lot of research on this particular issue yet so I guess I have missed the discussions you reference.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

You only need 1 Internet connection for the Hopper. You are getting conflicts because you have 2 IP addresses, 1 for each Hopper. Removing 1 should resolve this issue for you. Thanks.

Thanks, that does seem to have resolved it so far. I'm going to call the installer and let him know this as well so he can avoid the problem with any other installs he has.

#63 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'll do the network guy for a living thing and tell you that you created a network loop internally for the Hoppers.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#64 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Anyone else still on 222/271?
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#65 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Anyone else still on 222/271?

Yes, still on 222. Is this update going to everyone, or just those that don't already have OTA via Dish?

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Yes, still on 222. Is this update going to everyone, or just those that don't already have OTA via Dish?

Slowly to everyone ... no regular customer had OTA before S229.

#67 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Still waiting for the update...

#68 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Can we get an other update please. This info is very helpful.
I am wondering if there is now a S2.31 out there and if they added any new receiver IDs to the range.
I can not find any posts of anyone getting any new updates recently.
Did they stop due to the holiday or issues?

S230 is the newest available version.

#69 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 928 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Still waiting. I wonder receiver ca id range there sending updates to tonight?
Could some of you that got it post the first five digits of your id so we will know? Just hit menu twice to see yours.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#70 OFFLINE   jtp1947

jtp1947

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Still on 2.22/271 which was installed 11/7. I called Dish on 11/21 and was on the phone for 2 hours. The advanced tech told me 2.22 should work for the OTA module and I possibly had a dead module. I told him I needed a software update, he put me on hold, came back and told me I was correct. He then tried to force a download to 2.29 but was unsuccessful. He did a work ticket for the engineers and guaranteed 2.29 would show up in 24-48 hours. It has not happened, very frustrating.

Edited by jtp1947, 24 November 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#71 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I'll do the network guy for a living thing and tell you that you created a network loop internally for the Hoppers.

I'm a network guy for a living but expected them to deliver spanning tree like functionality and not create an unnecessary connection that lead to the loop. I guess I expected that it could / would only use MOCA for data transfers between the Hoppers and route the appropriate traffic out the Ethernet connection but it appears they share a single network stack.

I'm still seeing some odd behavior occasionally with only one hopper connected to Ethernet. Most of the time I look it shows that both Hoppers have a valid DHCP address but shows the connection to the server and internet have failed. Sometimes renewing DHCP will work and some times I have to reboot the Hopper that has the Ethernet connection.

#72 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I haven't ever experienced consumer hardware that even knows a cousin named 'spanning tree' let alone has one in the house :P

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#73 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm still seeing the same problem of the network connection not working properly every day. I have one Hopper connected to my router via Cat5 and it gets a valid IP address but shows connection to Internet and Server as "failed". When it is in that state I can ping the Hopper but cannot connect to either one from the Dish Online website and the two Hoppers do not connect to each other over MOCA. Rebooting the connected Hopper fixes it every time and pulling/reinserting the Ethernet cable fixes it some of the time. I've replaced the Ethernet cable, changed ports on the Router / tried it connected to a switch off the router and the problem still persists. I'm still on S230 and this is the only version of s/w I've ever had on it.

#74 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

We received the shiny new S230 about a week ago. This weekend, I tried to use the Home Media functionality for the first time since the update. As usual, this displayed both the DLNA connection to my Win7 PC and the connection to PlayOn, also running on that Win7 PC. It was a no go.. nothing but "no information available" for both the DLNA connection and for PlayOn. Worked just fine before the update. I've since power-button restarted the hopper, and installed the newest version of PlayOn, but I still can't browse music, videos, etc from the hopper.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue, or is this still working for you?
Thanks,
-Mike-
------------------------------------
Dish Network Hopper (no joeys)
JVC D702B A/V Receiver
Panasonic TH50PH9UK 50" plasma

#75 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

We received the shiny new S230 about a week ago. This weekend, I tried to use the Home Media functionality for the first time since the update. As usual, this displayed both the DLNA connection to my Win7 PC and the connection to PlayOn, also running on that Win7 PC. It was a no go.. nothing but "no information available" for both the DLNA connection and for PlayOn. Worked just fine before the update. I've since power-button restarted the hopper, and installed the newest version of PlayOn, but I still can't browse music, videos, etc from the hopper.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue, or is this still working for you?
Thanks,
-Mike-

Try a power cord reset. I didn't do one but the Home Media works on the Hopper and Joey. Kind of. It finds my WD TV Live Hub and my desktop. On the desk top, no Playon it works great for the music. Even throws up the little floating banner after a bit. Videos it will play mp4 but not WMV or AVI. Photos are a problem. It can't see the My Photos folder. No big thing in my case since the WD TV does everything and the music works good on the Hopper and for me that's the main interest.

I do have a couple of other problems. I can no longer highlight Save when trying to set up a custom Favorites list. Also I wish the number of episodes shown for my folders did not include the deleted programs. That's just a nit to pick I guess but the Favorite list is an issue.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#76 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Try a power cord reset. I didn't do one but the Home Media works on the Hopper and Joey. Kind of. It finds my WD TV Live Hub and my desktop. On the desk top, no Playon it works great for the music. Even throws up the little floating banner after a bit. Videos it will play mp4 but not WMV or AVI. Photos are a problem. It can't see the My Photos folder. No big thing in my case since the WD TV does everything and the music works good on the Hopper and for me that's the main interest.

I do have a couple of other problems. I can no longer highlight Save when trying to set up a custom Favorites list. Also I wish the number of episodes shown for my folders did not include the deleted programs. That's just a nit to pick I guess but the Favorite list is an issue.

The fav list issue was fixed for me. Try changing your cursor to anything but invisible and you should see that it works. The buttons are not highlighted but they are still fully functional. If you know where you are on the screen, you can hover over and press select and they will respond as normal.

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Isn't all boxes has S2.34 now ?

#78 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes, all boxes should have S.234 now. That went full last week I believe.

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

then the thread shouldn't be disturbed ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...