Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie new install, any tips things to look out for?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Okay I'm getting a new Genie, (I assume an HR34) at this point I only have an old SD TV. The Genie because I like to record multiple shows at the same time. I have high speed Internet in another room.

So Directv tells me I am getting,

1. DIRECTV® Advanced WholeHome DVR

1 Cinema Connection Kit

1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish
=======================================

Does that actually make sense? The DVR is listed as Advanced not HR34 or Genie. The dish is listed as Slimline not Slimline 3 not smw.

After reading here a bit I've noticed a number of people reporting that they had their HR34 swapped out, is that because they have Directv's insurance plan? Or is Directv willing to swap boxes after firmware upgrades if there are issues?

Will the Cinema Connection kit connect at 5 GHz? If not will they run cat 5 cable to my router?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Okay I'm getting a new Genie, (I assume an HR34) at this point I only have an old SD TV. The Genie because I like to record multiple shows at the same time. I have high speed Internet in another room.

So Directv tells me I am getting,

1. DIRECTV® Advanced WholeHome DVR

1 Cinema Connection Kit

1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish
=======================================

Does that actually make sense? The DVR is listed as Advanced not HR34 or Genie. The dish is listed as Slimline not Slimline 3 not smw.

After reading here a bit I've noticed a number of people reporting that they had their HR34 swapped out, is that because they have Directv's insurance plan? Or is Directv willing to swap boxes after firmware upgrades if there are issues?

Will the Cinema Connection kit connect at 5 GHz? If not will they run cat 5 cable to my router?

Thanks

You wont get a SWM LNB setup because you are gonna need 5 tuners. My guess is you will be getting a SWM8 switch installed. As for the cinema connection you will hard wire it in and you HR34 will be able to pick it up. Not sure why you need a cinema kit if all you have is a HR34. You could just hard wire the HR34.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

You wont get a SWM LNB setup because you are gonna need 5 tuners.

Your advice is bogus. The SWiM LNBs serve up 8 SWiM channels just like the SWM-8.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Your advice is bogus. The SWiM LNBs serve up 8 SWiM channels just like the SWM-8.

Sorry about that. I couldn't remember. I stand corrected. Is the HR34 the only box that will be on the account?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Okay I'm getting a new Genie, (I assume an HR34) at this point I only have an old SD TV.

If your TV doesn't have RCA or S-Video inputs available, you may have to wave off.

The Genie is a relatively poor match for an SDTV and you may be better off waiting until you have a suitable TV since you'll be paying for HD service whether you can fully appreciate it or not.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

sometimes they make you get or but the 1 Cinema Connection Kit, they made me paid $99 for it, and completely useless!

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

If your TV doesn't have RCA or S-Video inputs available, you may have to wave off.

The Genie is a relatively poor match for an SDTV and you may be better off waiting until you have a suitable TV since you'll be paying for HD service whether you can fully appreciate it or not.

I disagree that it is a poor match. I have an HD receiver hooked up to an old SD CRT TV and the picture looks great, especially on the HD channels (you can choose to letterbox or zoom/crop them, I prefer letterbox).

You are correct though that it may be a small issue if his old TV doeesn't have composite, S-video, or component video inputs (yes some old SD TVs had component). However, it isn't that big of a deal. A simple RF modulator hooked up to the ouputs of the HR34 and fed into the TV over the coax input using channel 3 or 4 will work just fine. I know for a while techs were carrying RF modulators on their trucks, but I'm not sure if they still are. The OP may want to have one on hand just in case. They are relatively easy to find and cheap. Most Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. stores will have some. Here is a decent cheap one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=rf modulator

As far as the Cinema Connection Kit goes, I believe they are only 2.4GHz. They can however be used hardwired, or they may install a hardired one if you prefer that (I do). They won't run a ethernet cable to your router for you, but they will run a coax cable to the router so they can be placed next to each other. Remember though, the same rules apply to running this cable as any other run to a receiver. They will run along an outside wall of the house and in through one wall, or under the house and up through a floor (if you have a basement, or easy to maneuver in crawlspace) as part of the free install. If you want the cables fished through walls, etc then they may charge you extra to do so, or tell you they can't do it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   swaits

swaits

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Don't enable Genie Recommends if you like to do remote records from either the web site or the apps, because it breaks that. /sigh

#9 OFFLINE   swaits

swaits

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Also, if you only have the C31 and HR34 (i.e. no other DVRs) then DirecTV has no way of enabling Whole Home DVR, which means you can't actually delete recordings from the C31. /ugh

#10 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Also, if you only have the C31 and HR34 (i.e. no other DVRs) then DirecTV has no way of enabling Whole Home DVR, which means you can't actually delete recordings from the C31. /ugh

What do you mean? I have an HR 34 and two C31 units, and nothing else, and I routinely delete recordings after viewing from a C31.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is a setting on the HR34 where one must enable/allow deletions from the C31 boxes. It seems like the default might have been to not allow that.

Edited by TMan, 14 November 2012 - 08:35 AM.

October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#11 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

What do you mean? I have an HR 34 and two C31 units, and nothing else, and I routinely delete recordings after viewing from a C31.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is a setting on the HR34 where one must enable/allow deletions from the C31 boxes. It seems like the default might have been to not allow that.

The problem is a current glitch in DirecTV's system which prevents them from turning on Whole Home service for some customers in certain situations. It all covered over in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209594
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#12 OFFLINE   whitestripes1

whitestripes1

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Is the DECA needed for installs that have an ethernet cable near the receiver ?

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Is the DECA needed for installs that have an ethernet cable near the receiver ?

As far as DirecTV is concerned, yes. The tech has to install a Cinema Connect Kit or he doesn't get paid.

In reality, after the tech leaves you can unhook the Cinem Connect kit and just hook an ethernet cable up directly to the HR34 (Genie). This only works with the HR34 (Genie) though, don't try it with any other HR2x HD-DVRs or H2x receivers.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall