Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is the HR34 RF Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

My sister just had Genie installed. Is the HR34 receiver capable of RF remote? The installer said no and I didn't see the RF option in the Remote setup area. The remote that came with the HR34 was an RC65X and I see that there is an RC65RX remote available. She has an RC64R remote which was used with the old receiver.
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes the HR34 will work in RF mode, the setting is under the advanced tab in the remote setup.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes The HR34 works in RF mode.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yes the HR34 will work in RF mode, the setting is under the advanced tab in the remote setup.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will it work with the RC64R remote or does she need the RC65RX remote?
HR24-200

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Will it work with the RC64R remote or does she need the RC65RX remote?

the R means it will work
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yep on the R, the X means that it's a two way remote where the HR34 and HR24 can talk to it for programming TV, AV1 and AV2 settings without the user having to enter a bunch of codes.

#7 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yep on the R, the X means that it's a two way remote where the HR34 and HR24 can talk to it for programming TV, AV1 and AV2 settings without the user having to enter a bunch of codes.

When it enters the codes, its not just taking your place in entering codes that already in the remote, but it actually enters codes the remote didn't have before. These upgrade codes aren't permanent, one reset of the remote and they are gone. Directv never has to replace remote for sake upgrading the library like in the past.

Edited by Edmund, 13 November 2012 - 02:44 PM.

aka Tivoburkee

#8 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

When it enters the codes, its not just taking your place in entering codes that already in the remote, but it actually enters codes the remote didn't have before. These uprade codes aren't permanent, one reset of the remote and they are gone. Directv never has to replace remote for sake upgrading the library like in the past.

Always thought those codes were in the receiver. Learn something new every day. Thanks.
HR24-200

#9 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

When it enters the codes, its not just taking your place in entering codes that already in the remote, but it actually enters codes the remote didn't have before. These upgrade codes aren't permanent, one reset of the remote and they are gone. Directv never has to replace remote for sake upgrading the library like in the past.

Just thought of another question. Is this only applicable with the HR34 & HR24 receivers or all HR receivers?
HR24-200

#10 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Just thought of another question. Is this only applicable with the HR34 & HR24 receivers or all HR receivers?

Just those in Hr series. Older Hd dvrs only list the codes, if they are in you remote, it will accept them via you entering them.

Also it has to be x series remote too, either rc65x, rc65rx, or rc65rbx.
aka Tivoburkee

#11 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

I just got an HR34 a few days ago and I was pretty disappointed that it did not come with an RF remote. All my other HR's came with RF standard. The HR34 is DirecTV's flagship receiver, and they opted to save a few pennies on the included remote.

Any chance the D* will send me an RF remote if I complain about the install?
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#12 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

The only way to know the answer to that is for you to call and ask.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I just got an HR34 a few days ago and I was pretty disappointed that it did not come with an RF remote. All my other HR's came with RF standard. The HR34 is DirecTV's flagship receiver, and they opted to save a few pennies on the included remote.

My understanding is that it's up to the installer if the location of a HD STB requires a RF remove vs. the IR model, with IR being the default to be handed out. As the other responded said all you can do is call and see what you can get.

#14 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

If they won't give you one just check Google, they go for anywhere between $15 and $25.

#15 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not going to deal with CS, because it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Besides, it might cause some grief for the installer, who did nothing wrong. I ordered one off ebay for $7.00 shipped.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...