Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hyperlinks won't open in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

At work, IE is really quirky and messed up. We can't open our Email using Firefox, so many of us installed Chrome to surf some education-related websites. That works fine. However, one thing we've noticed when using Chrome, as we read the curriculum guide of our district and browse through the numerous hyperlinks the guide contains--links to videos, PowerPoints, and more--whenever we attempt to click on a link, nothing happens. Moreover, the cursor doesn't even turn into that hand & finger icon that is common when one hovers over a link in IE or FF.

We're forced to go back to IE to enable these links. Is there something intrinsically wrong with Chrome here? We've been trying to figure out what to adjust in Chrome's settings, but nothing appears to be related to our problem.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Are there any extensions loaded in Chrome?

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I don't believe so.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

At work, IE is really quirky and messed up. We can't open our Email using Firefox, so many of us installed Chrome to surf some education-related websites. That works fine. However, one thing we've noticed when using Chrome, as we read the curriculum guide of our district and browse through the numerous hyperlinks the guide contains--links to videos, PowerPoints, and more--whenever we attempt to click on a link, nothing happens. Moreover, the cursor doesn't even turn into that hand & finger icon that is common when one hovers over a link in IE or FF.

We're forced to go back to IE to enable these links. Is there something intrinsically wrong with Chrome here? We've been trying to figure out what to adjust in Chrome's settings, but nothing appears to be related to our problem.

Having the same thing with Firefox 16.02 :mad:

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

A Google forum mentions that the Hyperwords extension causes this problem. There are other possibilities: Google "chrome won't open hyperlinks."

What version of IE are you using? IE 8 is a bit slow loading but is working fine on my XP desktop.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

We're using IE8. BTW, the same problem is, in fact, occurring with FF as well. I can't even open .pdf files in FF.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Seems to me like some sort of security issue with the computer. I can attest to the fact that Chrome works just dandy for me.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,605 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Probably time to upgrade to a Mac....:preach:!devil12:

A more level-headed idea now in this post, have you rebooted?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't think you'll see school districts doing that anytime soon.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Probably time to upgrade to a Mac....:preach:!devil12:

A more level-headed idea now in this post, have you rebooted?

I don't think you'll see school districts doing that anytime soon.

Allen, TX has... computer labs are all gorgeous desktop Macs. Teachers have iPads. Another buddy works in Arlington, TX and always has his school issued iPad on him.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Many districts have labs with Macs, and many districts distribute iPads to all staff members. All the schools in which I worked had labs with nothing but Macs, but these were done primarily because they were for engineering courses, CAD classes, etc., where Macs outperform PCs any day of the week. Districts do not, however (with rare exception), utilize Macs throughout their system (offices, classrooms, etc.).

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Is Chrome still 32bit?

#13 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Having the same thing with Firefox 16.02 :mad:

Had this with Thunderbird not Firefox , did a sys. restore to two weeks ago & all is fine now , hope this helps .:)

#14 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

LordVader - do you have a laptop at work? If so, can you take it home with you, and does Chrome work there?

#15 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yes, Chrome works at home, as does FF.

#16 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Then I doubt it's your PC - it's probably something in the setup of the work network. Call your help desk.

#17 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Next time I suggest you try this on any unhighlighted link- with the mouse (click) the right button and drag it over the link, Then right click the Now Highlighted space and select "search or go to" a new tab should open :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Seems to me like some sort of security issue with the computer. I can attest to the fact that Chrome works just dandy for me.

Me too. Schools must have some kind of blocking software that keeps kids from accessing undesirable sites. My library does that with their computers.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

They do, but that isn't the issue. The district has their curriculum guides online, with hyperlinks embedded in the guides. Using Chrome or FF doesn't allow us to open the links. However, using IE is fine.

#20 OFFLINE   orlandoawilliams

orlandoawilliams

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

WestDC -  "on any unhighlighted link- with the mouse (click) the right button and drag it over the link, Then right click the Now Highlighted space" seems to do the trick.  Thanks!

I wish I knew why I have this problem. My issue is also with a local public school district's website...

spam firewall