Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Great Customer service Experience

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Kind of ironic. If you have an HR20 and want 3D, policy is they'll send a box that supports it once you give the code displayed. Later, HDMI port goes out, and policy states you can't get 3D functionality back.

Huh?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Wasn't the policy that if you have an HR20 and try to tune to a 3D channel when you get a 3D TV, that you'd get a code to give to a CSR and they'd swap you out for an HR21-24 free of charge to add 3D?

Or has that changed?

#23 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

The 3d swapout is still current policy. 3d has turned out to be a non-event, as predicted by various posters not long after launch, however.
The replacement policy is, in fact, that we do not replace for failed HDMI ports, so that csr actually went outside policy to accomodate the poster. Often what the customer thinks is a failed HDMI port is actually a handshake issue anyway. You can test the hdmi port through the internal diagnostics to verify.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I may be mistaken but aren't HBO and some of the other premium providers in the process of requiring HDMI connections in order to support and enforce HDCP?

If so, then a failed HDMI port should force a replacement because your box is now incapable of delivering the premium channels in HD.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I may be mistaken but aren't HBO and some of the other premium providers in the process of requiring HDMI connections in order to support and enforce HDCP?

If so, then a failed HDMI port should force a replacement because your box is now incapable of delivering the premium channels in HD.

No the hdcp error is resolved with a switch to component cables. HDCP is the encoding technology used in hdmi. HDMI is not an organic, evolved product - it's an engineered technology that is designed to protect the copyright of program providers. In fact, HDMI is a company that sells its technology to device manufacturers and so on. I don't see hdmi being required anytime soon. Desirable, yes, required, no.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#26 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

Kind of ironic. If you have an HR20 and want 3D, policy is they'll send a box that supports it once you give the code displayed. Later, HDMI port goes out, and policy states you can't get 3D functionality back.

Yes ironic, however if you build your case around that most people would or should make an exception.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...