Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Maybe moving to DISH

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just remember you cannot be viewing something on the main tv and view a different recording on the tv downstairs at the same time while in single mode, you would need to be in dual mode for this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ok thanks. So to get ANYTHING, live or recorded, on tv2 you must be in dual or is that if and only if you are using tv1 for anything at the same time.

I know that we have a multi-switch for DTV and there are 2 cable runs currently to each box. So this should be easy on the installer.

#23 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

Well they have to pay to have those Joeys manufactured for them somehow, it's not like they get them free, plus they have to pay techs for their labor when installing them and of course the more outlets the longer the install takes and the more they have to pay the tech to get the job done. So they've decided they way to do it is that anyone that wants to have them pay extra per month. Seems fair to me as the other obvious way to do it would be to just have a general programming price increase. Seems to me the people who want more equipment and a bigger install should pay more and not have those of us with only one tv pay more to subsidize people with 6 tv installs.

All of the above items you've listed are one-time, fixed costs. If you want to argue that the dumb devices + installation is $168, fine. But then drop the fee at the end of the 2-year contract. There is no reason to charge somebody a fee for 7 years when there are no real ongoing costs associated with it.

A second Hopper, on the other hand, with 3 additional tuners and the ability to record and consume much more content, does justify a $7/month charge.

#24 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Ok thanks. So to get ANYTHING, live or recorded, on tv2 you must be in dual or is that if and only if you are using tv1 for anything at the same time.

I know that we have a multi-switch for DTV and there are 2 cable runs currently to each box. So this should be easy on the installer.

All of the outputs (HDMI, Component Video, Composite Video, RF Distribution, S-Video) on the 722 are active at the same time and in single mode they all output the exact same signal. There is no way to view two different things from the 722 at the same time in Single Mode. In dual mode the TV2 output (Coax for Home Distribution) displays whatever TV2 is set to (live or recorded program).

#25 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

In single mode, you would have 2 tuners to then swap back and forth ala tivo.

But I hear ya that no 2 outputs, a tv on hdmi and another on component wouldn't help, got it.

#26 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

The BIG thing that has me worried, and I don't think the TIVO to 722 will be THAT bad...

I went from a DirecTivo to the 722k and after about two days I didn't miss the Tivo at all.

#27 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

really?

The Mrs. is telling me she doesn't know if I am going to make it. I am like I think I will be fine. The better channel mix will help.

I told her the biggest issue will be they don't have a season pass thing. But someone said yeah pick a show and it will record it.

I guess what I read was key word searches, like U2, so record anything with U2. TIVO did great with that.

My understanding is the timer expires so it is not a set up once and forget type of thing. So set a timer to grab all keyword U2, but then it expires? Am I understanding that correctly?

Glad to heat the tivo loss is not terminal. It ran perfect for 5 years, a samsung s4080r, and now is dying.

Time for HD and Dish! I think we will adjust. I read you can swap on the 722(k) so i think the dual tuner buffer is still there in play.

One person on these forums said record both and use previous channel and another was how to use whole screen pic in pic. are those the 2 main approaches on overcoming that dual live buffer? We will be in single mode 99% of the time. I feel bad for our installer, we will be all over him/her with questions.

#28 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

really?

The Mrs. is telling me she doesn't know if I am going to make it. I am like I think I will be fine. The better channel mix will help.

I told her the biggest issue will be they don't have a season pass thing. But someone said yeah pick a show and it will record it.

I guess what I read was key word searches, like U2, so record anything with U2. TIVO did great with that.

My understanding is the timer expires so it is not a set up once and forget type of thing. So set a timer to grab all keyword U2, but then it expires? Am I understanding that correctly?

Glad to heat the tivo loss is not terminal. It ran perfect for 5 years, a samsung s4080r, and now is dying.

Time for HD and Dish! I think we will adjust. I read you can swap on the 722(k) so i think the dual tuner buffer is still there in play.

One person on these forums said record both and use previous channel and another was how to use whole screen pic in pic. are those the 2 main approaches on overcoming that dual live buffer? We will be in single mode 99% of the time. I feel bad for our installer, we will be all over him/her with questions.

As long as you have the 722 in single mode you have dual live buffers and a swap button to (very) quickly switch between them. No need to record and it keeps your place if you rewind on both buffer streams. This is one of the reasons I decided not to switch to Direct recently. They have Doubleplay but you have to start it each time you want it to be active and it expires after so many minutes.

#29 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for that. Seems easy. Can't wait. Ordered the HDTV today. Things are lining up.

In DTV it was moving from tuner to tuner than made the buffer appear, a button on our Harmony remote. It is called swapping between, with a button on the remote? I wonder if it will end up being the same button on the Harmony, that would be funny.

But the point is, in single mode the 722 is constantly buffering 2 streams, just like the tivo. I just have to figure out what button it is, and that will be no problem to learn that.

#30 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

As long as you have the 722 in single mode you have dual live buffers and a swap button to (very) quickly switch between them. No need to record and it keeps your place if you rewind on both buffer streams. This is one of the reasons I decided not to switch to Direct recently. They have Doubleplay but you have to start it each time you want it to be active and it expires after so many minutes.

Huh? Dual live buffers means you can be watching a show on one channel, switch to another channel, then come back to the channel you switched from and be able to, say, rewind to the time at which you switched channels.

On my 722, if I am watching, say, NBC, switch to ABC at 8:15, watch something on ABC until 8:30, then switch back to NBC, I cannot rewind back to 8:15 on NBC. As far as I can tell there is only one buffer active and when you switch channels you lose the buffer for the channel you were watching. I just checked and I am in single receiver mode.

#31 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Try the 'swap' button on the remote to toggle between the two tuners.

#32 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Try the 'swap' button on the remote to toggle between the two tuners.

All this time and I've been using the recall button to switch between channels. And missing the dual live buffers I had with DirectTV.

I feel so dumb, LOL! Thanks for the tip.

#33 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

All of the above items you've listed are one-time, fixed costs. If you want to argue that the dumb devices + installation is $168, fine. But then drop the fee at the end of the 2-year contract. There is no reason to charge somebody a fee for 7 years when there are no real ongoing costs associated with it.

A second Hopper, on the other hand, with 3 additional tuners and the ability to record and consume much more content, does justify a $7/month charge.

Oh I don't know it seems to me that if you have multiple tv's hooked up you're also more likely to have tech issues that you're going to have to call in about, hence using more resources in Dish's call center (Can't tell you how many calls I've gotten from someone telling me they've got no picture on tv2 for example). Plus those calls are probably going to lead to more tech visits. I'd bet you'd find that people with more tv's cost Dish more to maintain which justifies the additional cost. Of course the only justification they really need is people's willingness to pay and it seems people are willing to pay those fees otherwise they wouldn't do it that way.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#34 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

WOW

We had our install today and things went great. He used our mast and it was fun to dump the old DTV dish in the recycle.

The installer was VERY professional, wow.

We did get a 722K. It was new.

We have some questions that I know we will find out the answers to but I am just trying to figure it out. I guess we should read the manual, but we tried to do some things already with it.

1) Is Dish "On Demand" = pay per view? I asked when signing up if you guys had PPV and they said yeah. But I don't quite get it. I saw ppv stuff but no library ala Comcast etc.

2) How do you tell your signal strength? I knew on tivo but I haven't seen it yet. The installer said 90% is not how it is rated anymore, like our old tivo. He said his meter only went to 80. How so I see how I am doing.

3) I thought, per reading this site, that the eastern arc would be better for someone in chicago area, NW burbs. He said signal strength is better on the west and the dish don't be pointed as high so snow won't accumulate in it. So I said ok make it the western arc. We are on 110, 119 and 129. I think I read that that makes sense. Is that ok? Did I error in not doing that?

4) We put in our first show to record, a "timer" or "dish pass" (I think that is it) for NCIS. We were getting shows that had the name francis in the name. It was strange. I wasn't expecting TIVO like ease, but I thought the search was tough. Any pointers?

5) I searched "Godfather" and I guess the guide is 8 days? I think we are used to 13. Is that correct on the number of days you can "see" ahead. I think it is but not 100% sure.

6) What is the difference between pass and timer?

7) I am over my quota, but this is great. We just got a new TV to go with the HD so we have some big changes. We had cat6 copper cables, so no new runs. We have a wifi device that I guess links me to DN. He said it was a tunnel for Blockbuster and other DN stuff.

I want to find the Godfather, I love it and my wife has never seen it. Where is it in the DN world? I will find it and make it an offer it can't refuse.

#35 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

2) How do you tell your signal strength? I knew on tivo but I haven't seen it yet. The installer said 90% is not how it is rated anymore, like our old tivo. He said his meter only went to 80. How so I see how I am doing.

In the System Install menu go to the Point Dish area and for each satellite you can get a signal strength.

3) I thought, per reading this site, that the eastern arc would be better for someone in chicago area, NW burbs. He said signal strength is better on the west and the dish don't be pointed as high so snow won't accumulate in it. So I said ok make it the western arc. We are on 110, 119 and 129. I think I read that that makes sense. Is that ok? Did I error in not doing that?

If all of your programmimng and locals are on the WA then you should now have a problem.

5) I searched "Godfather" and I guess the guide is 8 days? I think we are used to 13. Is that correct on the number of days you can "see" ahead. I think it is but not 100% sure.

Guide is only 8 or 9 days.

6) What is the difference between pass and timer?

As memory serves me, a pass will record the show on any channel where a timer is set to a single channel.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#36 OFFLINE   tdfxman

tdfxman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks got to the signal strength. It was 63/64 with a tone sounding. So I think that is ok.

I will look at the other issues, we are still learning and trying to get used to it.

#37 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

4) Create your timers from the guide. Use pass for the few shows that might air on multiple channels (UFC), have several variants (CSI), or for things that don't yet appear on the guide.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

spam firewall