Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 fan replcement?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

My HR20-100 fan is getting noisy. I want to keep this HR20-100 in operation because I have a 1 TB external hard drive with lots of programs I don't want to lose. I am afraid the fan will fail and the unit will overheat and fail.
My unit is well out of warranty.
Has anyone replaced a fan on one of these?
Is it a difficult job (I am pretty good with this kind of thing).
Any specs on the fan? replacement?
Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

I think that is against the terms of service,
but, I do understand not wanting to lose all those recordings on the external drive.

The surest way to find out what you need is to open it up and get the numbers off the fan that is in it.

I found this link that seems to be what you want.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186730

Edited by jimmie57, 14 November 2012 - 11:34 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

It's pretty easy, actually. The fan is a drop-in unit and I'm sure you can find a close or exact replacement to fit the bill (see below). Excess fan noise can also be caused by failure of the internal temperature sensor which ramps up fan speed. If that's the case, try a full power-down reset to see if it fixes the problem (sometimes a software glitch can make the fan overspeed). Otherwise, replacing the fan won't help. If it's just a noisy fan (rattles, etc.), replacement is warranted (though not in compliance with the TOS) to keep your hard earned recordings.

I have an owned HR20-100 DVR and replaced the Hard Drive which requires fan removal in the process. Here are the steps for just the fan:

1) Remove the 5 torx screws from the rear panel and pull the panel towards the rear. It should pop upwards as it slides. Swing upwards and remove.

2) Disconnect the fan power connector on the main board.

3) Remove the four torx screws holding the card retainer and remove.

4) Remove the remaining four torx screws holding the black plastic fan/HD housing (2 of the screws are recessed but can be removed with an Allen wrench of the proper size), and remove the housing assembly.

5) Remove the fan by depressing the three clips holding its edges.

6) Replace with new fan and reverse the steps to reassemble the unit. Don't forget to reconnect fan power before closing the unit.

You can determine what fan is needed once you remove it, and you might need to use the connector off the old fan (be sure to get the polarity correct when attaching it to the replacement).

I found a pretty good fan supplier who carries a lot of replacement fans:

http://www.thefanvan...vlet/StoreFront

They might have this one.

Edited by RBTO, 14 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

It's a pretty generic 12v fan, very likely. Some have a 3rd wire for sensing when the fan is not spinning and that ties into an alarm, so if that is all you can find you just leave that wire disconnected.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think that is against the terms of service,

It isn't if it's owned. If its leased, it is against the TOS, but they also don't want it back if its deactivated.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...