Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless HD-DVR's?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

We are hopefully about to purchase a house and I found out today they only have cable runs going to 2 rooms, and we would need an additional 2 cable runs. Because it is in Florida the builder did not make an attic entrance so we would have to basically cut the ceiling to create attic access to run the wires down the wall to those additional rooms. Another option would be to drill through concrete which I'm not so sure about either.

So my question, does D* offer wireless HD stb's or dvr's? We currently have 4 HD-DVR's. If not I would have to hate to move to ATT.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

nope
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Dang. Are they working on it?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,948 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Dang. Are they working on it?

Not that anyone knows yet.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,974 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

HR44 ?

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

With an HR34 Genie you can serve a C31 client connected to a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit - no cable run. Mine works very well.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#7 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

With an HR34 Genie you can serve a C31 client connected to a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit - no cable run. Mine works very well.

How does that work I plug my wireless cck into my 31 and it won't find a server unplug it its fine

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

I don't believe this is a DirecTV approved though, so I highly doubt a tech would be willing to set it up this way.

Mx6bfast, is there any way the coax could be run around the outside of the house, and drilled in through an exterior wall, or is that the drilling though concrete you are talking about? DirecTV's free install only includes running cables around the exterior of a house and in through one wall, or running in a basement/crawlspace and up through the floor. Fishing cables down through walls is not included. Some techs will do it, and charge you extra, some won't even do it.

As far as drilling through concrete, that really isn't that big of a deal if you have the appropriate tools.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

How does that work I plug my wireless cck into my 31 and it won't find a server unplug it its fine

You just gave us a one-liner there so not sure what you actually did.
For one thing of course you need a spare WCCK. My HR34 is wired into my home network to provide a network/internet connection for all of the DVRs.
The WCCK needs to be set up/configured. It's been so long ago I don't recall setting mine up but it can't be too hard.
My C31 is connected to the WCCK using a short coax cable. Not sure how well a C31 to WCCK ethernet hookup would work, never tried it.
Reboot the C31 and if it was successfully setup as a client before it'll just work.

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#10 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Oh I'm sorry I got it to work I hooked my wcck up to my 34 because my router doesn't have the easy button to sinc once it was setup for my router unplugged it and redid the 34 for wired connection took the wcck to my 31 ran a line from it to client turned it on and it ran just fine with no cable run from the splitter I can basically take it anywhere in the house now

#11 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,049 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Glad that you got it to work!
BTW, Stuart Sweet originally determined that the WCCK could be used this way.

#12 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I don't believe this is a DirecTV approved though, so I highly doubt a tech would be willing to set it up this way.

Mx6bfast, is there any way the coax could be run around the outside of the house, and drilled in through an exterior wall, or is that the drilling though concrete you are talking about? DirecTV's free install only includes running cables around the exterior of a house and in through one wall, or running in a basement/crawlspace and up through the floor. Fishing cables down through walls is not included. Some techs will do it, and charge you extra, some won't even do it.

As far as drilling through concrete, that really isn't that big of a deal if you have the appropriate tools.

Sorry, I was in TN for a week and just got back.

The house appraised out so we are moving forward with the purchase. The owner/builder of the house did things for it to be as energy efficient as possible and one thing was to not cut out a space to get to the attic. He said there is also not a lot of room up there either. The only option to run cables would be to drill them from outside, through stucko, an extra sound dampening layer, concrete, then wood. I have no idea why they only have 3 cable runs in a 4 bedroom house, not counting family/living/kitchen. I'm just not sure if I want to do all of that drilling much less get the WAF.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#13 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I've called to setup a tech to come out a do a survey of the house. A genie and 2 clients are available for upgrades. However near the end of the call the lady said the clients need to have a coax plugged into them. Since there isn't coax to those rooms that wont work.

We currently have an HR24 with a wireless cck connected to it. The people above, did you get the clients to work with a cck on each one? If not how did you get it to work?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#14 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

We ended up going with ATT and 2 wireless receivers. Sucks that the wireless receivers aren't out yet for D*.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#15 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Any update to this, are wireless hd-dvr's available yet? Our promotion is ending in 2 weeks.

Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,974 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

not there yet ...

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

How about running the cable behind the baseboard?

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,974 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

shouldn't be a big problem ... just some work what could be done with good results

#19 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Any update to this, are wireless hd-dvr's available yet? Our promotion is ending in 2 weeks.

Looks like you are out of luck.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

sucks :(

Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures