Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking for options in adding additonal receivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HiDefWatcher

HiDefWatcher

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have recently had the HR34 and two H25's installed to replace a couple of older DVRs. I am looking to add 2 additional receivers in a couple of bedrooms and I am looking for suggestions. My understanding is that the Genie will only allow 4 total TVs to view programming. My question is can I add two more H25s or C31s or do I have to add another DVR to the mix to be able to have DVR capability on all rooms. Or can I have 5 boxes connected and only be able to view on 4 at a time. Any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,664 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

You can have more than 3 C31's, but only 3 at a time can be used.

You can have an HR34, 3 C31's, and 2 H25's all running at the same time with no problem.

Regardless of what mix of equipment, the HR34 can only do three outgoing streams at one time. So if all 3 C31's are watching something, the H25's could watch live but could not stream MRV. But if fewer than 3 outgoing streams, the H25's could also watch recordings from the HR34. The difference is the H25 has a built in tuner but the C31 does not. The C31 uses a tuner from the HR34 to watch live.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I have recently had the HR34 and two H25's installed to replace a couple of older DVRs. I am looking to add 2 additional receivers in a couple of bedrooms and I am looking for suggestions. My understanding is that the Genie will only allow 4 total TVs to view programming. My question is can I add two more H25s or C31s or do I have to add another DVR to the mix to be able to have DVR capability on all rooms. Or can I have 5 boxes connected and only be able to view on 4 at a time. Any help is appreciated.

Currently you can watch live TV in three room, and watch recordings in three.
The HR34 can only stream recordings to three rooms.
If you want to add two more rooms, the first won't be a problem, but the forth won't be able to play a recording "if" three others are already streaming.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   HiDefWatcher

HiDefWatcher

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I don't post very often, but I have used this forum for a wealth of information through the years.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I don't post very often, but I have used this forum for a wealth of information through the years.

Yes, at less than one per year, I'd say so! But welcome, if a bit belated!

You might consider making one of the units a DVR for extra flexibility and recording time.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall