Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Disappionted

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

My house burnt down July of 2012. I called to suspend my Directv service a couple days later. When I called they told me there would be no charges incurred for receivers or anything because of what had happened. Last month (october 2012) I got to move into the new house. I called to restart my service. I told them I wanted 1-HDDVR receiver and 2-standard receivers. Instead I got 2-DVR receivers and 1-standard. I of course called to complain about this with no luck at all. That is when I learned that the 3 receivers I had in the house that burnt were still on my account. So I wrote down the numbers off the receivers I have now so that the others could be taken off. When I called to give them these numbers I was informed that I would owe them around $250 for the old receivers. Also, just got my first bill - I haven't even been moved in a whole month - and it is about $60.00 higher than what it should be. There are multiple fees on there that I don't understand.
I am to the point of switching to a different service. I do not want it to effect my credit score but I can't justify paying a company that has lied to me this many times.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

They have every right to bill you for the lost receivers. You can include their value in your contents reimbursement of your homeowners insurance.

#3 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

My problem is that I was told that I would not be responsible for those receivers. I have already done all of my insurance claims and they are closed now.

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

You can try to get an addendum to the claims usually.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Not gonna happen. The claim was paid in full. I don't have anymore money to get. If they would have told me that I had to pay for them when I asked the first time I could have included that on my insurance claims. That or I would have dug through the ashes left behind from everything I own and my two dogs that didn't make it out and "recovered" the receivers to send back to them.
If this would have been the first issue with them recently I might not be as mad but since reactivating my account I have had nothing but problems.

#6 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sorry for your loss on the Dogs I could care a rats ass about the driect tv receivers.
HR20-700
HR21-700

#7 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I don't care about them other than the fact that I was told I wouldn't have to pay for them and now they want to charge me $250 for them. They knew from the beginning that I did not have them to return. I told them when I suspended my service (big mistake I should have just cancelled then), when I called to activate my account they asked about them and I told them what happened again, when the guy came out to set up my service he asked about them again I told hi what happened, I told them at least 5 times and no one ever mentioned any fees until I called to tell them which receivers I still have (Why don't they know this?) thats when the CSR told me about the fees. All the while I have been arguing with them about them sending me the wrong equipment - which none of which works worth a crap. ON top of all of it I have a ton of crazy charges on my bill

#8 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,809 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Call back and ask to speak to customer retention and see what they can do for you.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yeah sorry for the quip I just love my dog so much I’d be beside myself with greif. Your right they should have told you to claim them on your insurance, but I bet it don’t come up much at customer service. Direct TV is not very flexible when it comes to their receivers. If I saved up the dough I have spent on direct TV equipment over the years. I'd be spending February in Hawaii.
HR20-700
HR21-700

#10 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

No worries. The issues I have with Directv don't even come close to the pain I still feel everyday about my babies. I have no children of my own and they were my kids. I hate myself on a daily basis for not being able to get them out. After everything that has happened I just wished that there would be a sensitive person out there to help me.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

email Ellen.Filipiak@directv.com, her people will take care of you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I emailed her maybe 2-3 hours ago and just got an email back from someone on her team. They have removed the old receivers at no charge.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I emailed her maybe 2-3 hours ago and just got an email back from someone on her team. They have removed the old receivers at no charge.

Awesome!

Sorry you had to go through all that, especially losing your home and dogs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   Breezy

Breezy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thank you! and thank you for all the help.

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

email Ellen.Filipiak@directv.com, her people will take care of you.

I was going to suggest this, too. I knew they'd straighten it out. My condolences over your pets; they're truly family.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss and very happy these guys could connect you with someone who could make things a little easier. D* needs to take a careful look at how poor their phone support can be at giving thoughtless and inconsistent answers to customers. I can't imagine being on the other side of the phone and speaking with a customer with a story like yours and giving you a flip response like they did without trying to do something to help you. A little compassion and a whole lot more training and oversight would go a long way to improve the D* experience.

#17 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Really?...If i wrecked my car right now without comprehensive insurance....should i demand replacements for free? Just sayin
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#18 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

Really?...If i wrecked my car right now without comprehensive insurance....should i demand replacements for free? Just sayin

He didn't demand anything for free. They told him they wouldn't charge him. He has a right to be upset when they change their tune after he's missed out on the opportunity to claim them on his insurance.

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Your comment has nothing to do with the OP's complaint and is uncalled for.:nono:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#20 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Ah, but he DID have comprehensive insurance. He was told he was not responsible for the cost of the receivers that were lost and then billed for them by the very people who told him he was not responsible for that expense.

Had DirecTV told him it was on his dime at the very beginning he could have claimed it and his insurance would have covered it.

Why should he be left holding the bag for DirecTV's inability to put forth a consistent position?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...