Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lost network connectivity for single-box setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Another one of those "I can't get my network working threads." Most of the other threads I've seen show troubleshooting for multi-room set-ups. I have a single box.

I have an HR24/500 in my office. I have a dedicated cable modem with a "clean" outside internet connection (meaning there are no company firewalls or anything like that in place.) I moved my entire set-up down the hall to a different room - the DirecTV box, the cable modem, and I lost the network.

The HR24 has a single internet port. It is plugged into a port on a Netgear router. If I plug that same Netgear port into my laptop, I have full internet access without any problems so I'm assuming the internet connectivity itself is OK.

TV reception is fine and the EPG is working.

The error screen:

IP address 169.254.8.3 OK
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 OK
Network: Coax Not Connected (9)
Internet: Not Connected (13)

Result Code: 86-856

Whole Home DVR is not authorized, but to the best of my knowledge it never was. I don't know if Whole Home must be activated for any online connectivity, but it seems very unlikely that if it was activated before, that it would just happen to "expire" the day the the box was moved.

I appreciate any help/insight. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

IP address 169.254.8.3 OK

The DVR hasn't "found" your router.
Bad cable?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

The DVR hasn't "found" your router.
Bad cable?

I used the same cable to test the internet connection with the laptop. It worked fine, so the cable is good.

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,621 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Try setting a fixed IP on the DVR outside of your DHCP range. It's possible the Netgear doesn't like giving a dhcp address to the DVR.

Set the IP to 192.168.x.y where x is the same as your router and y is outside of the dhcp range.

Mask to 255.255.255.0
Gateway and DNS to your Router IP

Then do a Network Advanced test and try to ping it from a pc on your network.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Try setting a fixed IP on the DVR outside of your DHCP range. It's possible the Netgear doesn't like giving a dhcp address to the DVR.

Set the IP to 192.168.x.y where x is the same as your router and y is outside of the dhcp range.

Mask to 255.255.255.0
Gateway and DNS to your Router IP

Then do a Network Advanced test and try to ping it from a pc on your network.

Or simply reset the network defaults and try "connect now".
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I used the same cable to test the internet connection with the laptop. It worked fine, so the cable is good.

Hope you haven't done what I did one time, and connect it to the wrong jack.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   misterp

misterp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I swapped my DirecTV box with an old one from storage and it works A-OK. Maybe the ethernet card on my original box got damaged in the move.

The box I have now says the software was last updated December 1, almost a year ago and it says "Scheduled Upgrade: Not Scheduled." Current software is 0x4e2.

Will the system automatically upgrade itself over the next 24 hours, or do I need to turn on an auto-upgrade feature? The UI looks ancient (how quickly things change in just one year!)

Thanks for the trouble-shooting tips. It's frustrating when it really does turn out to be a hardware issue, but at least I should have my system up and running again completely real soon.

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,621 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

If the box hasn't already updated itself, do a menu reset and at the first screen enter very deliberately 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. It should download the current software.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...