Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
Dead HR20-100, seeking feedback on options
Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:16 PM
1) Replace HD in HR20-100 with a 500 GB or 1 TB relatively inexpensively? I like the fact that it has an internal cooling fan and runs cooler than the 700 which has slots all over the top and sides. Also, the 700 only has a 300 GB HD.
2) Called DTV again. Multiple upgrade offers exist, but no Genie. Current pricing they offered for that was $299 for Genie, $99 for ea. Client, $49 for install. Pricey.
3) Another upgrade option was a new HR2x DVR, Whole Home and Cinema Connection kit (is this the DECA?) for $99.
In addition to the dead HR20, I also have an HR21-200 with an AM21 attached to it. Desired setup (if I can get the price down) would be HR34 with 2 or 3 clients. Is there any reason to keep the HR21-200 with this setup?
Long time DTV customer since '98. Choice Xtra Classic. No SWM - 2 coax to both receivers w/B-band adapters. Hard-wired to internet through ethernet connections on back of receivers. No whole home.
Thanks in advance.
||...Ads Help To Support This Site...||
Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:25 PM
Edited by RBTO, 15 November 2012 - 07:41 PM.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM
Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:59 PM
Last month, when my HR20-100 failed, D* wanted it back, and fined me $250 to incent me to return it. I did, of course, and they refunded my fine after 3 calls from me.
The $99 might be worth it to get your DVRs networked and sharing, especially if you have no interest in doing it yourself.
Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:05 PM
Are the Pipeline HD's worth the extra cost? More than double? It has twice the cache, but the RPM and SATA rate seems slower, but I guess the firmware is more optimized for HD/DVR usage?
I replaced my HR20-100 drive about 5 years ago but recently it's gotten real noisy and I'm starting to see dropouts in recordings when pausing or jumping backward/forward.