Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   buddybailey

buddybailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Do receivers use the internet to communicate with D? MY dsl speed takes a big hit at certain times and disconnecting them from the net restores the lost speed reconnecting them results in speed drop. Again appears to be at sporadic times not constant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,076 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Really the only thing that could affect your speed is downloading On Demand. The internal stuff such as PPV auth can be handled by a 30 second modem call so on DSL it is nothing

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   buddybailey

buddybailey

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

no on demand activity when speed loss is happening. I unplug broadband adapter from network and speed returns to normal. I plug adapter back into network speed drop occurs. This only happens at intermittent times most of the time everthing is connected and dsl speed is normal.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Maybe your router is being flooded with tiny little DHCP requests from the receivers. Try giving your receivers static addresses.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

no on demand activity when speed loss is happening. I unplug broadband adapter from network and speed returns to normal. I plug adapter back into network speed drop occurs. This only happens at intermittent times most of the time everthing is connected and dsl speed is normal.

Had my HR34 installed yesterday, with a broadband Cinema connection kit, woke up this morning to find my Internet connection at dial up speeds, with the HR34 supposedly off, and the part plug into my router hot to the touch. Rebooted the router with no change. Unplugged the Cinema Connection kit and my router return to its normal 19+ Mb/s speed... If this occurs daily it will be an issue for me.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Maybe your router is being flooded with tiny little DHCP requests from the receivers. Try giving your receivers static addresses.

Kevin

Good suggestion, but you really ought to explain how to do that. Not many folks understand how to put a static IP address on anything.

Rich
  • damondlt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Had my HR34 installed yesterday, with a broadband Cinema connection kit, woke up this morning to find my Internet connection at dial up speeds, with the HR34 supposedly off, and the part plug into my router hot to the touch. Rebooted the router with no change. Unplugged the Cinema Connection kit and my router return to its normal 19+ Mb/s speed... If this occurs daily it will be an issue for me.

Try taking the cck out of the equation and just connect the ethernet cable from your router directly to the HR34, it can act as its own bridge to your network without the use of a cck.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#8 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Good suggestion, but you really ought to explain how to do that. Not many folks understand how to put a static IP address on anything.

Rich

Actually I disagree. buddybaily and I seem to have the same adapter, the broadband Cinema Connection kit. What I am seeing is the adapter takes one IP address from the router, and creates it's own subnetwork at 169.254.10.xxx

On an HR34 0x5d3, See | menu | Settings & Help | Settings | Network Setup | Advance Setup | you'll get a please wait... At the bottom of the screen you'll see "Link Local" I believe that is the address of the HR34. Above the is the address of the actual broadband Cinema Conection kit (server) IP address.

In my case the local network is still up and responding normal, it is the actual Internet that is being blocked, or consumed. (There is no delay in talking to local resources on my network.) That really is different than how a flood of DHCP request from the Directv Recievers would act, as they are on a subnet of the Wi-Fi router, and in theory should be isolated there. The broadband Cinema Server should isolate those request. What I'm seeing is something eating up my 19+ Mb/s of Internet speed, leaving me with just 0.63 Mb/s of Internet bandwidth. :nono:

#9 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

keep in mind if you have just been installed or upgraded receivers that they will be downloading information for 24-48 hrs until they get caught up, i know theoretically there isnt suppose to be any interference or its suppose to be able to do this without you noticing it on your internet speeds, but this downloading maybe what you are getting. So give it a couple days and see if it gets any better, if it is bothering you unplug the cck while you are doing what you need to, then just plug it back up and let it finish when you are done and at night while your asleep

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,549 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Actually I disagree. buddybaily and I seem to have the same adapter, the broadband Cinema Connection kit. What I am seeing is the adapter takes one IP address from the router, and creates it's own subnetwork at 169.254.10.xxx

A situation like this should prevent the nomad and DIRECTV2PC from working as well as the iApp. The receivers should be on the same subnet as your home LAN (unless you live to do creepy things to mess with your LAN routing).

I'm pretty sure the CCK-W does not have routing capability.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

A situation like this should prevent the nomad and DIRECTV2PC from working as well as the iApp. The receivers should be on the same subnet as your home LAN (unless you live to do creepy things to mess with your LAN routing).

I'm pretty sure the CCK-W does not have routing capability.

I can't speak as to the nomad, but it does not effect the iPads or my iPhones from connecting. It would appear that the broadband Cinema Connection kit is very different from the wireless version.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,549 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Maybe your router is being flooded with tiny little DHCP requests from the receivers.

DHCP should never flood. If a device doesn't get a response, it usually gives up. If it does get an address, the client won't ask again until the current lease expires.

Unless you've foolishly set the TTL for your DHCP leases to something very short (the minimum is usually one second), they should live for a day (86,400 seconds) and the client device won't make another request until its lease has expired.

DHCP is all too often blamed for the malfunctions of DECA but it is more than likely that the real problem lies elsewhere. The fact is that even if you do use DHCP, more than 90% of the consumer routers will continue to assign the same IP address to a particular MAC address day in and day out until a factory reset is done.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

keep in mind if you have just been installed or upgraded receivers that they will be downloading information for 24-48 hrs until they get caught up, i know theoretically there isnt suppose to be any interference or its suppose to be able to do this without you noticing it on your internet speeds, but this downloading maybe what you are getting. So give it a couple days and see if it gets any better, if it is bothering you unplug the cck while you are doing what you need to, then just plug it back up and let it finish when you are done and at night while your asleep

I disagree that there is any logical reason why my off HR34 not trying to download movies from the Internet should be using 19Mb/s of my Internet bandwidth for 8 or more hours, :nono: by my math that would be 8550 MB per hour...

#14 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I don't think this is true. My CCK is not wireless and I have static IP addresses for all 4 of my DVRs (R22, HR22, HR24, HR34), all in the
192.168.1.XXX range.

I can't speak as to the nomad, but it does not effect the iPads or my iPhones from connecting. It would appear that the broadband Cinema Connection kit is very different from the wireless version.

#15 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I don't think this is true. My CCK is not wireless and I have static IP addresses for all 4 of my DVRs (R22, HR22, HR24, HR34), all in the
192.168.1.XXX range.

So you are saying that your CCK plugs into an RJ45 port on your Wi-Fi router, and if you go to | Menu | Settings & Help | Settings | Network Setup | Advanced Setup | on your HR34 you see 192.168.1.XXX at the bottom of the screen next to Link Local?

#16 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

So you are saying that your CCK plugs into an RJ45 port on your Wi-Fi router, and if you go to | Menu | Settings & Help | Settings | Network Setup | Advanced Setup | on your HR34 you see 192.168.1.XXX at the bottom of the screen next to Link Local?

Yes, I set up the static IPs myself. I'm in Jamaica now but I'll double check when I get home Monday night.

#17 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yes, I set up the static IPs myself. I'm in Jamaica now but I'll double check when I get home Monday night.

I checked today and each of my DVRs is 192.168.1.XXX

#18 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

Just checked further. My HR34 does have the 192.168.1.xxx for the IP address but there is an extra line labeled lionk local that looks like an IP address 169.254.622. This is not changeable by the user.

#19 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Just checked further. My HR34 does have the 192.168.1.xxx for the IP address but there is an extra line labeled lionk local that looks like an IP address 169.254.622. This is not changeable by the user.

Okay so perhaps then, the "link local" displays the status of the Ethernet Port on the HR34? As that port is not connected, it would logically pull an address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx space?

Have you by chance done a "full" port scan on your HR34? :D

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Okay so perhaps then, the "link local" displays the status of the Ethernet Port on the HR34? As that port is not connected, it would logically pull an address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx space?

Have you by chance done a "full" port scan on your HR34? :D

The HR34 always has a 169.xxx for networking with the Genie clients.
Doesn't matter if this is with ethernet or coax networking.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall