Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH's AutoHop Technology Named CES Innovations 2013 Design/Engineering Award Honoree

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

DISH's AutoHop Technology Named CES Innovations 2013 Design and Engineering Award Honoree

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) named DISH's AutoHop™ commercial-skipping feature an International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Innovations 2013 Design and Engineering Award Honoree. AutoHop is available on the satellite-TV provider's Hopper™ Whole Home HD DVR.

DISH received the award as CEA hosted the annual CES Unveiled conference in Manhattan. Products entered in this program are judged by a panel of independent designers, engineers and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 29 product categories.

"The Hopper has been recognized in multiple reviews as the best DVR, and we thank the Consumer Electronics Association for recognizing the receiver's AutoHop feature as a leading innovation," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH. "The entire Hopper system gives customers more choice and control over the TV that they watch. AutoHop is just one of the exciting features we offer on Hopper and is an extension of what consumers already do - skip commercials on shows they record."

The Innovations Design and Engineering Awards are sponsored by the CEA, the producer of the International CES, the world's largest consumer technology tradeshow. The CEA has been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976.

The Innovations entries are judged based on the following criteria:

Engineering qualities, based on technical specs and materials used
Aesthetic and design qualities, using photos provided
The product's intended use/function and user value
Unique/novel features that consumers would find attractive
How the design and innovation of the product compares to other products in the marketplace

Innovations 2013 Design and Engineering honoree products are featured on http://cesweb.org/Aw...ons-Awards.aspx, which lists product categories, as well as each product name, manufacturer information, designer, description, photo and URL.

DISH's Hopper, with its AutoHop capabilities, will be displayed in The Venetian at the 2013 International CES, which runs Jan. 8-11, 2013, in Las Vegas. Honorees will also be displayed at CES Unveiled: The Official Press Event of the International CES from 4-7 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 6 in the South Seas Ballroom C at Mandalay Bay.

About AutoHop

DISH's AutoHop feature is offered with the Hopper's exclusive PrimeTime Anytime™ capability, which allows viewers to choose to record the primetime TV programming on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC -- the networks that deliver some of the most popular shows during primetime.

Once the viewer enables the PrimeTime Anytime feature, and selects the networks and nights to record, the Hopper stores these shows for up to eight days after they have aired making it easy to access episodes from last night, or last week.

The AutoHop commercial-skipping feature, using patented technology, works with most shows recorded using PrimeTime Anytime.

A viewer can watch a show with the AutoHop option commercial-free starting the day after a show has been recorded with the Hopper's PrimeTime Anytime capability. Prior to that, the Hopper's 30-second "hop forward" feature continues to work for same-day viewing of recorded shows.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.042 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Never use this award winning feature..... It would be an award winner if my Hopper would quit dropping my favs.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#3 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Didn't ReplayTV have an automatic commercial skipping feature at one point? And I think there was even a VCR with this feature? Is Dish's version "innovative" because it works much better/differently than older ones? I've never owned any of these so maybe I'm missing something.

#4 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I never use this feature either, nor PTAT....But I STILL love the Hopper/Joey system. I had Direct for many years. This is WAY better than any hardware I ever had with them.....

My only complaint is a small one: if you are watching a recorded show, finish, then try to delete.....it will NOT delete if all 3 tuners are in use. Don't know why, but it won't.

Other than that, no issues.:)

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

You can't delete things that are recorded via PTAT until 7 days are up.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I haven't seen or heard of this issue. Is this on a DVR recording or BB@Home? I will test this on my Hopper. Please let me know. Thanks.

I never use this feature either, nor PTAT....But I STILL love the Hopper/Joey system. I had Direct for many years. This is WAY better than any hardware I ever had with them.....

My only complaint is a small one: if you are watching a recorded show, finish, then try to delete.....it will NOT delete if all 3 tuners are in use. Don't know why, but it won't.

Other than that, no issues.:)

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I thought it won at the regular CES in Las Vegas early this year.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I haven't seen or heard of this issue.

Yep ... mine does that.

The issue seems to be where to go when deleting the program. If there is an available tuner the receiver will go to the last tuned channel and use that tuner. The program will delete as requested.

If there is no available tuner the program one was watching will stay in the corner of the screen and will not delete until one selects and plays another DVR event or chooses to join another feed.

When the recording is no longer in use it can be deleted. A recording in use cannot be deleted.

spam firewall