Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-34 with external E-sata drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

OK, I had a HR-24 hooked with an external esata drive and then purchased a HR-34. I accidentally hooked up the external to my new HR-34 when I fired it up. Now I cannot read any of the many recordings I had from the HR-24. Did I just screw myself on the recordings that were on the external or?
HR-34-Living room
Sony 60" TV
(3) Sony 42"ers
Sony 34"
Sony 24"
Denon AVR-3805 Receiver w/ (4) Infinity 200 watt speakers, (4) Infinity Surround Speakers and one Infinity subwoofer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

accidentally

How does that happen? You prob should have read up on what would happen before you tried that.

#3 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's the human element.
HR-34-Living room
Sony 60" TV
(3) Sony 42"ers
Sony 34"
Sony 24"
Denon AVR-3805 Receiver w/ (4) Infinity 200 watt speakers, (4) Infinity Surround Speakers and one Infinity subwoofer

#4 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

All recordings are encrypted to a special chip on the receiver main board, and may be played ONLY on the receiver that recorded the files

Moving a drive to a different receiver, with a different encryption chip, is a BAD idea... unless you know in advance that the old recordings are no longer needed

#5 OFFLINE   D1vad

D1vad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

All recordings are encrypted to a special chip on the receiver main board, and may be played ONLY on the receiver that recorded the files

So if they are encrypted to a special chip, then in theory moving the drive back to the original receiver should allow them to be decrypted once again, unless directv has decided this is an attempt to pirate the recordings... :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

OK, I had a HR-24 hooked with an external esata drive and then purchased a HR-34. I accidentally hooked up the external to my new HR-34 when I fired it up. Now I cannot read any of the many recordings I had from the HR-24. Did I just screw myself on the recordings that were on the external or?

As long as you did not reformat the drive once hooked to the new HR34, you will be able to just rehook the drive back the the origional HR24 and everything should be back to normal giving you the ability to replay anything origionally recorded from that DVR.

Again, current DirecTV policy is to only allow the playback of recordings on the DVR that origionally recorded them. Until their policy changes and a corresponding firmware update is made this will remain the case.

The problem truely falls on that when a DVR just fails/dies, there is no way to recover any of the recordings at all. It should be tied to the account, NOT a particular receiver!

Several requests to do away with this policy have constantly been made over the past few years; falling on deaf ears thus far.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

As was said above, unless the HR34 reformatted the drive when you connected it up, moving it back to the HR24 will allow you to play all the recordings just fine.

#8 OFFLINE   Beckzilla

Beckzilla

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

As was said above, unless the HR34 reformatted the drive when you connected it up, moving it back to the HR24 will allow you to play all the recordings just fine.

Well switched it back to the HR-24 and all recordings are gone. What would make the new HR-34 automatically reformat the drive. Looks like I am screwed.
HR-34-Living room
Sony 60" TV
(3) Sony 42"ers
Sony 34"
Sony 24"

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Well switched it back to the HR-24 and all recordings are gone. What would make the new HR-34 automatically reformat the drive. Looks like I am screwed.

With the HR34 having "Genie Recommends" the partitioning is most likely different than an HR24 so the HR34 had the need to re-partition.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yup, looks like you "accidentally" screwed yourself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...