Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

looking to upgrade to SWM

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hello,
I am looking to make the change from a 4 line AU9-SL3 LBN dish to a SL3 -SWM. I currently have 6 HD DVR's in my home and looking to install a HR-34 Gennie. My question is what do I need to make the switch can I buy a SL3-SWM LNB and a SWM-PI29V and be done with it or is more required? I did my system myself so don't mind doing the work myself.
Thanks
Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Is the 34 in addition or replacing? If replacing, how many DVRs are being replaced. You can't change the lnb, you need a swm16, as the lnb one is limited to 8 tuners. But I count 17 tubers if the 34 is in addition, which would require 2 swm16s.

#3 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

If I understand correctly, LNB's with switches built in can support 8 SWM channels. I also understand that DVRs take up 2 channels each. So, with 6 DVRs you have 12 SWM channels. Adding a HR34 you're adding 5 SWM channels to the mix giving you a total of 17 channels consumed. I believe this means you'd need something bigger than a SWM-16 to support the amount of equipment you plan on running at once.

However, if you replace one of your DVRs with the HR34, then you'd only consume 15 SWM channels which a SWM 16 would support.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

He would need something "bigger", but not in the way you'd think. A SWM-32 is available but isn't the right equipment for this job, it's not meant for home installs.

I think this thread would provide a lot of valuable info:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207005

Now, if when everything is done and the tuner count is 16 or under, like if the HR34 replaces one DVR, then the second SWM isn't needed.

Also keep in mind that SWM connection (each SWM-16 has two) is limited to 8 tuners.

#5 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I will be replacing one of the DVR with the 34

#6 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

He would need something "bigger", but not in the way you'd think. A SWM-32 is available but isn't the right equipment for this job, it's not meant for home installs.

I think this thread would provide a lot of valuable info:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207005

Now, if when everything is done and the tuner count is 16 or under, like if the HR34 replaces one DVR, then the second SWM isn't needed.

Also keep in mind that SWM connection (each SWM-16 has two) is limited to 8 tuners.

If I am looking at the diagram correctly I can still use my AU9-SL3 Dish 4 output lines to splitters then to SWIM 16 with power inverters

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

That's pretty much it. Just be sure to use the green label splitters, and one power inserter.

Edited by dpeters11, 16 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

So I will come in with my 4 wires from dish to the SWiM 16 have a PI29V power inverter to the SWiM 16. Than 2 cables out of the SWiM 16 to 2 8 port green label splitters to the DVR receivers 2 cables per DVR? and the HR34 needs 5 cables hook up to it? a total of 15 cables running to the receivers?

#9 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Actually one of the beautiful things about SWM is one cable will support all of the tuners so only one cable per DVR is required.

If you already have 2 cables you now have the option of installing an OTA antenna in you home, connecting it to a distribution amp, piping the OTA signal down that second cable and adding an AM21 to each of the DVRs.

If you have a lot of OTA subchannels available it's a nice thing to have.

I upgraded to SWM and added AM21s to all of my DVRs and gained over 60 channels. I'm halfway between Orlando and Tampa and there is a ton of OTA available.

It also means you won't need 8-way splitters. You can use one 4-way for 4 of the DVRs and one 2-way for the 5th DVR and the HR34.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#10 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

No sence starting a new thread. Will this setup work with a HR34 ?

http://www.satpro.tv...ne-lnb-kit.aspx

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,019 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Yep, only one coax to each unit, and only use a splitter big enough to do the job (2-way or 4-way instead of 8-way). Also, be sure to put a terminator cap on each splitter output that is not being used.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,019 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

No sence starting a new thread. Will this setup work with a HR34 ?

http://www.satpro.tv...ne-lnb-kit.aspx

Yes. Also available at http://www.solidsign...CTV Dishes&sku= (but you need to order the power inserter separately).

If you have additional receivers beyond the HR34, then you need to determine the total tuner count. As long as you have 8 or fewer tuners, those LNB's will work.

#13 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

If the dvr has two tuner inputs how can one cable run both inputs? satellite 1 satellite 2?

#14 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

If the dvr has two tuner inputs how can one cable run both inputs? satellite 1 satellite 2?

SWM mutilplexes the signals for multiple tuners down a single cable. There is an FTM (Frequency Translation Module) internal to the DVR that splits it back out into separate signals for each tuner.

The DVR is able to detect if it is SWM connected. Run the single cable from the SWM splitter to the Satellite 1 input on the DVR and the internal circuitry of the DVR will do the rest.
--Frank Zappa

#15 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

It also depends how old your DRV is HR20's and up can do the single wire some older DVR's will not

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

He said all of the DVR's were HD, so by definition all are SWM compatible, if there are not other receivers in the mix.

However, that does bring up a good point. Are any of these DVR's HR20-100 models?

#17 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

No I believe they are all HR23 I will have 5 HR23's and 1 HR34 so I can buy the LNB kit power inverter and SWiM 16 and be able to run all these 6 DVR's?

#18 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,019 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Just to clarify due to the post by Rickt1962. For a single HR34, the link he provided will work. But for KC2LLW you need the SWM16 and a regular LNB (which I believe you are aware of). I just wanted to be sure the two conversations didn't confuse each other.

#19 OFFLINE   KC2LLW

KC2LLW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ok so I need to use my 4 line LNB with the the SWiM 16 not the 1 line LNB in the kit which has a built in 8 multi switch?

#20 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ok so I need to use my 4 line LNB with the the SWiM 16 not the 1 line LNB in the kit which has a built in 8 multi switch?

That is correct.

For the number of tuners you plan to connect (15 total by my count) you will need to keep your current dish and connect it to a SWM 16. This setup will support up to 16 tuners.

The SWM LNB will only support up to 8 tuners.

The SWM 16 has two satellite outputs. Each output will support up to 8 tuners. You can connect a 4-way splitter to either one of them and run one cable from each of the four splitter outputs to the Satellite 1 input connections on four of the HR23s. On the other output of the SWM 16 connect a 2-way splitter. From that splitter run one cable to Satellite 1 of the remaining HR23 and 1 cable to the HR34. You will also need a 29V power inserter. That can be put in-line between the splitter and any of the DVRs. Or you can connect it to the PWR input on the SWM16 (which is what I chose to do).

If you choose to put the power inserter in-line between the splitter and a tuner make absolutely certain that you have the connections oriented properly. If you hook it up backwards you will damage the DVR. The power inserter is clearly marked which connection goes to the IRD (DVR) and which goes to the SWM. If you connect it directly to the PWR input on the SWM the connection to the IRD is unused.

There are some good diagrams here in the Connected Home forums that illustrate most of the possible configurations.

Edited by HarleyD, 16 November 2012 - 03:16 PM.

--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...