Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stroh

stroh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm thinking about leaving DirecTV after many years as a customer because I can't stand the poor response of the receiver to remote button presses. I have two HR20-100's. Almost every time I press a button on the remote I have to hit it several times before it actually responds. I have changed the batteries, reset the receiver, etc. Overall I'm happy with the picture quality and programming, but the crappy hardware is really getting to me.

I have considered trying to get an HR34/C31 and see if that works. The thing with this solution is that I don't feel I should have to pay to have substandard performance fixed at my expense and I don't see too many people on here getting all new equipment installed for free. Then if it doesn't work, I'm stuck for another two years with the same annoying problem and that doesn't even count in the WAF aspect.

I may give Uverse a try. They are always bugging me to switch. I would save a bit on my monthly bill as well. If it doesn't work out, I can come back to DirecTV and probably get the HR34 and install free as a "new" customer. It's just such a hassle to change everything and probably find new problems over there.

Anyone have any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Try this first.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=184693

One thing to keep in mind on UVerse, there is a limit of the number of HD streams you can have, and that number depends on where your house is compared to their equipment.

I have an HR34 and am satisfied with it. However I don't change channels that often.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

You possibly have IR interference.
Try this: Use the TV remote and turn the TV off. Now use the DTV remote and change channels up or down and pay attention to the power light on the front of the receiver. Does it blink each time you press the button ? If yes, Turn the TV back on. Is it on a different channel than when you started ?
If the above is true, try putting a piece of Blue Painters Tape over the sensor for the IR ( it is just to the right of the power light on the receiver ) or a piece of Scotch tape and then color the tape dark with a charpy or marks a lot.
I have done this to all 3 of my units and did away with this problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

It is also possible that the remote is just worn out.
If you have a laptop with a camera or I have heard a smart phone works also. Start the camera so that you can see yourself on the screen. Point the remote at the camera and press buttons on the remote. You can see the IR lights work with each button press using the camera. I did this with one remote and found that I had worn out several of the most frequently used buttons.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I have the Hr22-100 have 3 remotes in RF mode turned off the code checker. And have hard rebooted it. And mine is running very slow. I hit the guide and it hangs for a minute or 2 ! :mad:

You cant channel surf like the old days with Cable ! Digital is 10 times slower compared to the old anolog days !

Edited by Rickt1962, 19 November 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I switched to FiOS over a year ago because of the slow channel change on my HR20-700.

Big improvement plus better PQ, but after 13 months I started getting a similar slow response on my FiOS HD DVR. Called support Friday afternoon and they shipped a replacement DVR (same model, looks new) which arrived Saturday morning. Swapped units and the problem has gone away. I didn't have to go through a bunch of tests, either. CSR was willing to ship the unit immediately after I explained the problem to her.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have the Hr21-100 have 3 remotes in RF mode turned off the code checker. And have hard rebooted it. And mine is running very slow. I hit the guide and it hangs for a minute or 2 ! :mad:

You cant channel surf like the old days with Cable ! Digital is 10 times slower compared to the old anolog days !

There is more to switching a channel on satellite, one channel to the next may be on a different transponder or satellite, then add in possible resolution changes and things seem slow. It's really the nature of the beast but that's not to say it won't ever be faster.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

stroh's problems are not due to the issues listed here, which are either side issues or excuses.

Many of us, probably most of us, have these same issues. We don't all have RF interference. The fact that it is sat or digital is also not a factor, as DISH and UVerse do not have this problem. They also must deal with resolution changes, and that seems not to faze them. Changing to a different transponder or sat is instantaneous as far as the switching part goes; that is no more sophisticated than latching a dumb relay might be.

But on the HD DVR+, it's not the switching that takes time, its the lack of or delay of the response to the commands we send it to switch, or scroll the guide, or almost everything else. Why? Bad, poorly-written unwanted-cheapass-feature-bloated software trying to keep up with underpowered hardware. Period. And DTV seems to think that's OK.

If you do not have these problems, then good for you, but let's not pretend the rest of us are a small minority that should not count. The only thing that should take time when operating a DVR is channel acquisition, which should average less than two seconds and is due to the nature of MPEG4 compression.

The bottom line is that in the performance department (and they are otherwise very reliable and feature-laden and among the best DVRs available) DTV DVRs just blow. Out loud. DTV needs to build a better DVR, even if they have to completely start over to cure these performance problems.

Having the best features and the best interface is important, and all you have to do is look at the outcry at the death of Tivo to understand just how important, echoes of which still reverberate all over the forums. DTV has finally claimed that title, and good for them.

But performance is also important, and DTV has done absolutely nothing in the 5+ years we have been saddled with this DVR line, about it, other than to make it worse with every up rev. A wonderful US President that shall go nameless almost lost his job due to a perception of not doing enough to solve problems, just two weeks ago. And he only has had 3 1/2 years, not 5+. Maybe it's time to vote DTV out of office.

stroh is just one of what may become a flood of folks that are fed up. If your DVR is slow, that gives the impression, however unfair that may be, that your service is antiquated and poorly implemented. Not many of us feel comfortable cutting a $100 check or better each and every month to a service that we perceive to be antiquated or poorly implemented.

stroh is not really the exception here, he may be representative of the rule. I don't like that either, but it doesn't help much to succumb to Stockholm Syndrome and try to convince yourselves that this issue is not out there or that we can afford to live like this. We can't, and it is. Escape your captor; don't rationalize that this is just how things should normally be. Power to the people. Rise up, mad as hell, and say we're not going to take this, anymore!
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

It's really the nature of the beast but that's not to say it won't ever be faster.

If it had always been that way, you might have an argument. That the channel changing rate started out at an acceptable level and has degraded significantly over time takes the physics out of the equation and places the blame on things that DIRECTV has (or hasn't) done.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

This conversations seems oddly familiar!:lol:

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

stroh's problems are not due to the issues listed here, which are either side issues or excuses.

Many of us, probably most of us, have these same issues. We don't all have RF interference. The fact that it is sat or digital is also not a factor, as DISH and UVerse do not have this problem. They also must deal with resolution changes, and that seems not to faze them. Changing to a different transponder or sat is instantaneous as far as the switching part goes; that is no more sophisticated than latching a dumb relay might be.

I get a daily reminder of how awful the HD DVR's are even though I don't have HD from DirecTV. I DO have an R22 which is really an HD DVR and I also have 2 R15-300's. When I watch TV in my kitchen with the R15 it responds INSTANTLY to remote commands, the guide whizzes around with every push of the remote. I select a show and in less than a second I'm watching the recording.

Then I settle in for an evening of TV in the living room with the lethargic R22. I press GUIDE and sit and yawn a few times-then it appears. When I select a show in my playlist and hit PLAY once again I sit there waiting and waiting. After watching a show I press DELETE and it scratches it's head for 10 seconds wondering what to do. Remember, this has nothing to do with HD-the two DVR's are doing exactly the same thing accessing the same SD satellite feeds and recordings.

This is why I haven't upgraded to HD from DirecTV...and won't anytime soon.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Amazing how four of the most dissatisfied users—well, including one who's not even a DIRECTV® sub— showed up in this thread.

Do any of you have any constructive ideas?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Amazing how four of the most dissatisfied users—well, including one who's not even a DIRECTV® sub— showed up in this thread.

Do any of you have any constructive ideas?

Yes I do.

If you can’t live with lethargic DirecTV receivers don’t use DirecTV. It is wrong to think that it will get better…. It has been this way since the HR20 was introduced and by postings here it continues with the latest and greatest HR34. Sometimes they are ok many times they are not and apparently DirecTV is content.

No amount of tweaking, massaging, drinking or praying is going to make the HR series receivers respond like the old SD receivers or like Dish Network HD DVRs.

Adapt, lower your expectations and watch TV after your HR catches up or switch providers.

#14 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

There is more to switching a channel on satellite, one channel to the next may be on a different transponder or satellite, then add in possible resolution changes and things seem slow. It's really the nature of the beast but that's not to say it won't ever be faster.

Yea i given up on Channel surfing with DTV. But ther shouldnt be any excuse for a slow Channel Guide or Your Movie List to pop up ! That should always be in the back ground of the software to be viewed at a mouments notice.

#15 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Not sure how many here are into OS and Hard Drives. But if you ever had a Hard Drive replaced in DTV. After booting It reformats the Drive then installs the OS to the drive. The slowness is coming from the HardDrive.

I just installed a 180g SSD drive to my Home PC and Kept my 1 tera as storage. No longer have to wait the 2 to 3 minute boot up anymore ! It boots in seconds ! And any program I installed to the SSD is instant when i click on it ! So using my old computer not changing to a faster CPU or adding more RAM and Now I am 10 times faster with just doing that !
So going back to DTV makes you wonder if the slow responce is between the Hard Drive and the head unit communicating with each other.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Not sure how many here are into OS and Hard Drives. But if you ever had a Hard Drive replaced in DTV. After booting It reformats the Drive then installs the OS to the drive. The slowness is coming from the HardDrive.

I just installed a 180g SSD drive to my Home PC and Kept my 1 tera as storage. No longer have to wait the 2 to 3 minute boot up anymore ! It boots in seconds ! And any program I installed to the SSD is instant when i click on it ! So using my old computer not changing to a faster CPU or adding more RAM and Now I am 10 times faster with just doing that !
So going back to DTV makes you wonder if the slow responce is between the Hard Drive and the head unit communicating with each other.

The OS, aka firmware, is not installed on the hard drive. The only thing on the hard drive are recordings, series links, guide data, logos, logs, etc. The slowness is not the hard drive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,975 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

H25 runs at warp drive. I've tried many Directv receivers and it flies.
The HR24 is tad faster than the HR34 when it comes to DVR speed.

Keep native OFF so the TV switching resolutions doesn't slow things down.

#18 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yes I do.

If you can’t live with lethargic DirecTV receivers don’t use DirecTV. It is wrong to think that it will get better…. It has been this way since the HR20 was introduced and by postings here it continues with the latest and greatest HR34. Sometimes they are ok many times they are not and apparently DirecTV is content.

No amount of tweaking, massaging, drinking or praying is going to make the HR series receivers respond like the old SD receivers or like Dish Network HD DVRs.

Adapt, lower your expectations and watch TV after your HR catches up or switch providers.

I fully agree. If you want fast equipment, you probably aren't going to get it from D*!

That said, I take mine to channel 1 about once a week for 30 seconds and just doing that seems to make things a tad quicker. Not speedy, but just a bit faster.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#19 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I fully agree. If you want fast equipment, you probably aren't going to get it from D*!

You can, but he will likely have to pay for it. My HR34 is pretty speedy, IMO. The HR22s, are awful and suffer from terrible keybounce issues (and no, it is not LCD interference since one of them is hooked up to a 36 inch CRT).
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have also read that it appears to effect the speed if the HD has 30% or less free space.
I can not verify this since mine most of the time have at least 70% free space.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...