Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Maybe they have been reading your posts. LOL

Glad you got it early since you have had so much trouble.

Did you ever make a favorite ? it only takes a few minutes if you only put 10 or 20 channels in it.

Of course D* reads his posts. How else could they maintain his level of service in such a wonderful manner... :lol:

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#222 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Maybe they have been reading your posts. LOL

Glad you got it early since you have had so much trouble.

Did you ever make a favorite ? it only takes a few minutes if you only put 10 or 20 channels in it.

If they had been readin my posts they would have just cut off my service by now!:D

I did - much quicker that way! See here: http://www.dbstalk.c...3&postcount=113

#223 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

They're obviously toying with you. Next the black helicopters will start flying overhead... :lol:

Rich

Of course D* reads his posts. How else could they maintain his level of service in such a wonderful manner... :lol:

Rich

I knew I heard helicopters last night! I'm sure they were just checking my dish for proper alignment and making sure my batteries are fresh!

#224 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

If they had been readin my posts they would have just cut off my service by now!:D

I did - much quicker that way! See here: http://www.dbstalk.c...3&postcount=113

Thanks , I missed that somehow.
Glad it worked for you.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#225 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I must admit, I didn't read through all the posts but my HR22 is somewhat okay at times but at other times, it slows to a crawl when advancing through the guide or changing channels. It seems like minutes (though I'm sure its much shorter) to move forward after a key press while in the guide or to change to another channel. Also, at times, the remote seems not to want to take in key presses very well and changes to channels I didn't want. In fact, I have two RC64R's and it happens to both.

I have several friends with Dish and they wonder why I would put up with this. Well I been with DTV for sometime and keep hoping it will improve.

So my question, if I upgraded to a HR24 or HR34 (assuming I could do that), would the performance improve significantly? My other option is obviously to go to Dish.

#226 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I must admit, I didn't read through all the posts but my HR22 is somewhat okay at times but at other times, it slows to a crawl when advancing through the guide or changing channels. It seems like minutes (though I'm sure its much shorter) to move forward after a key press while in the guide or to change to another channel. Also, at times, the remote seems not to want to take in key presses very well and changes to channels I didn't want. In fact, I have two RC64R's and it happens to both.

I have several friends with Dish and they wonder why I would put up with this. Well I been with DTV for sometime and keep hoping it will improve.

So my question, if I upgraded to a HR24 or HR34 (assuming I could do that), would the performance improve significantly? My other option is obviously to go to Dish.

A 24 will simply blow that 22-100 away.

Rich

#227 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Rich

You are being kind.

#228 OFFLINE   stroh

stroh

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I started this thread on 11/16/12 and got my HR34/C31 installed on 11/19/12 and I have to say that everything I was complaining about has been corrected. I haven't had any problems with the new setup. Remote response is as it should be, menu/guide speed is vastly improved and quite acceptable, and the extra tuners and PIP are a bonus!

The only hiccup is that my wife doesn't like that she can't delete shows from the C31 after she has finished watching (no keep or delete popup at the end).

#229 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I started this thread on 11/16/12 and got my HR34/C31 installed on 11/19/12 and I have to say that everything I was complaining about has been corrected. I haven't had any problems with the new setup. Remote response is as it should be, menu/guide speed is vastly improved and quite acceptable, and the extra tuners and PIP are a bonus!

The only hiccup is that my wife doesn't like that she can't delete shows from the C31 after she has finished watching (no keep or delete popup at the end).

That's a bug. First try making sure that all the settings in Whole Home Service section of settings are set to allow, and if that has no effect, do a search here abut that issue, there are a couple threads about it. It may be in the way DIRECTV set it up, and they may need to redo some authorization on their end.

Glad you are liking it!

#230 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Rich

Thanks, am I safe in assuming that a HR34 is also faster than a HR22?

#231 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes, though some say it as fast as a 24, but does a lot more work.

#232 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yes, though some say it [isn't] as fast as a 24, but does a lot more work.

Was this what you meant?
A.K.A VOS

#233 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, dang iPad :)

#234 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

In response to the original post, all DVRs 24 and below are sloooow! Regular receivers are snappy. I have no experience with the 34 as DTV wants to sodomize in exchange for one them.

Edited by tomski35, 01 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#235 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Is it really fair to compare something that only runs in memory compared to a hard drive? Memory always wins compared to a rotating disc.

And we won't be seeing solid state DVRs in the foreseeable future.

#236 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Is it really fair to compare something that only runs in memory compared to a hard drive? Memory always wins compared to a rotating disc.

And we won't be seeing solid state DVRs in the foreseeable future.

I really don't think the speed issues are all that related to having hard drives. They just plain flat out do a hole lot more though, so you can't expect the exact same performance.

#237 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

For things like guide performance, I think it does make a difference.

#238 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

In response to the original post, all DVRs 24 and below are sloooow!

All 4 of my HR24-500s are Fast so maybe something is wrong in the way you have yours setup.

I run a Customized Guide which helps speed up the Guide a bit.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#239 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I really don't think the speed issues are all that related to having hard drives. They just plain flat out do a hole lot more though, so you can't expect the exact same performance.

But you have to ask yourself, why are the DISH DVRs so much faster. They also have a lot of functionality. I suspect it is either with the software design, or hardware implementation, or both. Poor software design can kill a systems performance.

#240 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

You are being kind.

Yes. My first thought about that post was: A 24 will simply blow that POS 22-100 away.... :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...