Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, am I safe in assuming that a HR34 is also faster than a HR22?

If you have a slow 22, any properly working 20-700, 24, 34 will be faster.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

All 4 of my HR24-500s are Fast so maybe something is wrong in the way you have yours setup.

I run a Customized Guide which helps speed up the Guide a bit.

All 3 of my HR24-500s are Slow so maybe something is wrong in the way you have yours setup.

Not really - just sayin!

It is just as wrong for you to assume that all HR24s are fast as it is for others to assume that all HR24s are slow.

#243 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Rich

Even a dead fish is faster!:D

I can see it now... DirecTV's new marketing - 'Our DVRs are faster than dead fish'.

#244 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Rich

My slow 20-700 was the primary reason I switched to FiOS 14 months ago. And I did try all the tricks mentioned on this board as of a year ago to fix the problem. None worked for more than a couple days.

The secondary reason for switching was to save a few bucks.

A third minor reason was to get CNN International and BBC World News.

A fourth reason was to get all the music channels FiOS offers in one tier rather than spread out over several tiers.

A fifth reason became apparent when I saw the breadth of VOD offerings from FiOS compared with DirecTV.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#245 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

But you have to ask yourself, why are the DISH DVRs so much faster. They also have a lot of functionality. I suspect it is either with the software design, or hardware implementation, or both. Poor software design can kill a systems performance.

Like I said, I don't think its hard drive related. There are other things that I think affect the speed far more.

#246 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

All 3 of my HR24-500s are Slow so maybe something is wrong in the way you have yours setup.

Not really - just sayin!

It is just as wrong for you to assume that all HR24s are fast as it is for others to assume that all HR24s are slow.

When was the last time you flushed all our guides? Ad have you tried seeing what happens if you disconnect the Internet from your system as well? It's really just not normal to have slow hr24s.

#247 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Like I said, I don't think its hard drive related. There are other things that I think affect the speed far more.

I agree

#248 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

These "slowness" threads are enough to drive anyone crazy. Short drive for me.... :lol:

But seriously, what we've got to look at is exactly what is "slow" about the DVRs. I've only got 20-700s and 24s, and they aren't what I'd call slow when it comes to the most important functions of a DVR. Once you get to a program, is there any real slowness? I don't think so. I'm not talking about the 21 series, which seems to be inherently slow in many respects.

What everyone seems to be talking about is the process of getting to a program. That's not an HDD problem, I think. I've taken 2TB HDDs on/in 21-700s and put them on/in 24s and never seen any of the slowness of the 21-700s (which, I think, were the best of the 21 series).

What I'm trying to say is, making a blanket statement that 24s are slow is wrong. Without the HD GUI (you really gotta be careful what you wish for) I don't think we'd see these reoccurring threads.

The question we should be asking is when will the HD GUI be upgraded? Or fixed, or whatever you want to call it.

We can blame the HDDs for anything, but let's get it right. If an HDD is gonna slow up one HR and you put it on another HR, the same thing should happen, right? It simply doesn't. I truly doubt the HDDs are the culprits here.

Rich

#249 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

My take between the HD receivers and the HDDVR receivers is that there is a lot more going on in the DVR than in the HD receiver.
There are a lot more graphics in the DVR to manipulate and load into memory.
The HD has one tuner and the DVR has 2.
It appears to me that the DVR is always buffering 2 tuners.
It also looks like the DVR starts buffering before anyting is put to the TV screen.

I am waiting and wanting to see this latest 0x062c software does as several have reported that it is much faster at changing channels.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#250 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

My take between the HD receivers and the HDDVR receivers is that there is a lot more going on in the DVR than in the HD receiver.
It also looks like the DVR starts buffering before anyting is put to the TV screen.

I am waiting and wanting to see this latest 0x062c software does as several have reported that it is much faster at changing channels.

I've never had a plain receiver, but your logic is sound from what I've read. I doubt that the HRs are always buffering 2 tuners, you have to turn that feature on. They do constantly buffer one tuner tho, unless you are recording two programs at once.

Regarding channel changes, I've never been big on surfing and there are several workarounds for that, which I believe you've pointed out.

Rich

#251 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,655 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have two HR24-500s. Both are set with Native-On, Scrolling Effects-Off, All Resolutions selected and both are connected to AV/receivers via HDMI cable. Current software on both is 0x05d2. Time frame for channel changes, HD-HD 5 seconds, HD-SD 7seconds, SD-SD 3 seconds. Considering my settings and what takes place when I change channels I'd say they are pretty fast. The only slow features are the Active Channel and TV Apps. And from what I've read, the new national release (0x062c) is improving speed.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#252 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

These "slowness" threads are enough to drive anyone crazy. Short drive for me.... :lol:

What everyone seems to be talking about is the process of getting to a program. That's not an HDD problem, I think. I've taken 2TB HDDs on/in 21-700s and put them on/in 24s and never seen any of the slowness of the 21-700s (which, I think, were the best of the 21 series).

Rich

Some of the complaints I've seen are in going through the guide, even with scrolling effects off, compared to the same thing on a non DVR. I think there may be a difference due to the drive there, as the guide is on the hard drive, and not in memory like it is on a receiver.

#253 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I have two HR24-500s. Both are set with Native-On, Scrolling Effects-Off, All Resolutions selected and both are connected to AV/receivers via HDMI cable. Current software on both is 0x05d2. Time frame for channel changes, HD-HD 5 seconds, HD-SD 7seconds, SD-SD 3 seconds. Considering my settings and what takes place when I change channels I'd say they are pretty fast. The only slow features are the Active Channel and TV Apps. And from what I've read, the new national release (0x062c) is improving speed.

All 12 of mine are set the same way. I'd kinda like to play with a new Dish DVR and see how they perform. Just out of curiosity. I don't know anyone who has Dish.

Rich

#254 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

DMA is a wonderful and liberating thing. It takes much of the load off of the main processor so that the many dedicated processors (decoding, decryption, character generator/video mixer, scaler) can do their thing.

Since the DIRECTV HR2x series can't do PIP or a second TV, the second tuner is a red herring. If the second tuner happens to be active, most of the processing is done in custom hardware.

The drag seems more likely related to the database engine that plays big in the guide and scheduling which is where much of the real dragging happens.

Remote response seems likely just a poor balance of priority. That other software on very similar platforms (or the same platform in the case of the THR22) moves along nicely pretty much invalidates the idea that the hardware is the problem.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#255 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Some of the complaints I've seen are in going through the guide, even with scrolling effects off, compared to the same thing on a non DVR. I think there may be a difference due to the drive there, as the guide is on the hard drive, and not in memory like it is on a receiver.

I don't think comparing the performance of a receiver to a DVR doesn't seem like a good thing to do. Logically, you'd expect the receiver to do what it does more quickly than a DVR. I've never had a plain receiver, so I have no idea what they're like, but I've read enough about them to know they outperform the DVRs, as I'd expect. Yeah, it would be nice to have the Guide in memory on the DVRs too.

Rich

#256 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

All 12 of mine are set the same way. I'd kinda like to play with a new Dish DVR and see how they perform. Just out of curiosity. I don't know anyone who has Dish.

Rich

So I've got some different firmware right now and reran channel changing times.

My TV takes 2 sec to change HD from its antenna.

My DVR with native on, has slowed to about 6 sec changing channels that are different resolution.
Turning native off has any channel change take 3 or less seconds.
SD to SD doesn't look to take the 2 sec my TV does for HD.

These were timed by using the guide to select a channel, and then using the previous button to toggle. Press and count 1, 2 ,3, ... until video displays. Audio came much faster.

I haven't had any Dish HD, but have had U-verse. U-verse doesn't give the user the native on feature.
Does dish?
A.K.A VOS

#257 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Rich

My neighbor has the Hopper and my daughter has DISH (no Hopper). Those DVRs are faster than my HR22 when in the guide and/or channeling channels. However, my HR22 is not always slow. At times, it is decent and acceptable (but never fast). I just haven't been able to see any pattern to when it performs faster.

Also, you mention earlier about the HR24 speed. It seems most people feel that is fast (compared to the 22).

#258 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think there may be a difference due to the drive there, as the guide is on the hard drive, and not in memory like it is on a receiver.

I'm thinking the guide data is stored in RAM in both receivers and DVRs. There's at least twice as much data to shuffle in the DVRs (14 days .vs. 7 days).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#259 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Does dish?

No, they do not.

#260 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,761 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

No, they do not.

Thank you.

This should put them on par with U-verse and for those wanting to "A-B" Dish with DirecTV, they should turn native off for it.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...