Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

The two HR24s that I use all the time never have less than 70% or so free space as I record/watch/delete and hardly every archive since the recordings are locked to the receiver and not the account.

Most of the time, the speed is acceptable, but at no time have they been as speedy as any of the Dish DVRs I had over the years. But on too many occasions it gets a bit unresponsive, and also takes an inordinate amount of time 'refreshing' something or the other.

So IMO, no lots of free space doesn't make them quicker.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Stroh, I just got through going thru this same BS w/D*, as I also have 2 POS HR20-100's, that I finally had a gutfull with! The bottom line is, regardless of all the numerous feeble excuses the fanboys keep coming up with, these older HR receivers (pre HR24) are simply NOT equipped to run all the bloatware D* keeps shoving down into them, period!

If you want better equip performance (ie: new receivers) than what you are currently getting out of those POS HR20's, the ONLY way you're going to get it fixed (somewhat) for FREE, is to dump DTV's ***! Once you do that, I GUARANTEE you in under a week, THEN they'll decide to pull out ALL the stops & give you what they should have done in the first damm place! (ie: they'll THEN start you over as a brand new customer w/ALL new equip, including offering you a GENIE w/clients FREE) Of course, you WILL get stuck w/another 2 (long) year contract for the privilege if you choose to go this way. They will probably offer you $200 if you have an ETF with another provider; assuming you already switched to someone else. I know this because this is exactly what happened to me; matter of fact, it only took 3 days before the winback offers poured into my e-mail, as well as phone calls to my cell phone; I've been disco'd for over 2 months & am STILL getting these offers as we speak. :rolleyes:

I gotta tell you something else though...I now have nearby access to an HR24 on a regular basis. I can tell you that while it's much faster than previous receivers, it is still NO match for my new 722k's! Even though these are NOT E*'s newest receivers, they can VERY easily run circles (speedwise) around ANY D* receiver. I just cannot believe what a breath of fresh air it is to now have DVR's that, when you press a button...it actually does something right THEN! :eek:

The good news for you is, even D* knows these HR20's are POS's, as they no longer want them back. If you still have lots of unwatched shows on the hard drives, if you disconnect them from the dish BEFORE you disconnect them, you CAN keep on watching your existing shows just fine. Matter of fact, now that I disco'd these things, they actually run somewhat decently now; hmm, think maybe it's because they no longer have all the BS bloatware coming into them now... ;)

#23 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Stroh, I just got through going thru this same BS w/D*, as I also have 2 POS HR20-100's, that I finally had a gutfull with! The bottom line is, regardless of all the numerous feeble excuses the fanboys keep coming up with, these older HR receivers (pre HR24) are simply NOT equipped to run all the bloatware D* keeps shoving down into them, period!

If you want better equip performance (ie: new receivers) than what you are currently getting out of those POS HR20's, the ONLY way you're going to get it fixed (somewhat) for FREE, is to dump DTV's ***! Once you do that, I GUARANTEE you in under a week, THEN they'll decide to pull out ALL the stops & give you what they should have done in the first damm place! (ie: they'll THEN start you over as a brand new customer w/ALL new equip, including offering you a GENIE w/clients FREE) Of course, you WILL get stuck w/another 2 (long) year contract for the privilege if you choose to go this way. They will probably offer you $200 if you have an ETF with another provider; assuming you already switched to someone else. I know this because this is exactly what happened to me; matter of fact, it only took 3 days before the winback offers poured into my e-mail, as well as phone calls to my cell phone; I've been disco'd for over 2 months & am STILL getting these offers as we speak. :rolleyes:

I gotta tell you something else though...I now have nearby access to an HR24 on a regular basis. I can tell you that while it's much faster than previous receivers, it is still NO match for my new 722k's! Even though these are NOT E*'s newest receivers, they can VERY easily run circles (speedwise) around ANY D* receiver. I just cannot believe what a breath of fresh air it is to now have DVR's that, when you press a button...it actually does something right THEN! :eek:

The good news for you is, even D* knows these HR20's are POS's, as they no longer want them back. If you still have lots of unwatched shows on the hard drives, if you disconnect them from the dish BEFORE you disconnect them, you CAN keep on watching your existing shows just fine. Matter of fact, now that I disco'd these things, they actually run somewhat decently now; hmm, think maybe it's because they no longer have all the BS bloatware coming into them now... ;)

I feel like at times I can see temporary slow downs in responses that could be attributed to stuff downloading that I do not want, like all the instant play movies and banners telling me to record this or that. I don't do PPV and I know what I want to record.

I have no experience with any other vendor's DVRs so I have nothing to compare them to except for a HD NON DVR receiver. Huge difference there for sure.

You call us Fanboys. I am that. Been a customer since 1996. I am not crazy about the slow reveivers. Some are much slower than others and some have problems that a little bit of experimenting and effort can make the problem be much less of a problem and bearable.

I have written to DTV several times and suggested that they stop replacing DVRs with old models and use the 24. At some point all the old ones would be gone and the software would probably work better without it having to work on so many models and vendors that they come from.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have also read that it appears to effect the speed if the HD has 30% or less free space.
I can not verify this since mine most of the time have at least 70% free space.

OH yes! i can confirm THAT ! When the hard drive is empty your system is Fast ! So the speed issue is the communication between the Hard Drive and the Head unit. As i stated earlier thats the bottle neck in the system ! I have a 2 tera byte in mine it is 40 % full And its is slow as hell ! Just going to have to wait till the SSD's come down in price and get the 2 tera byte size to make it worth while.

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I have a 2 tera byte in mine it is 40 % full And its is slow as hell !

There have been a lot of valid bitches here, and if I had any of them, I too would be screaming.

In this one though I have to comment, as it seems the user has modified their HR21, and now is complaining about how it sucks. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

All 4 of my HR24-500s are Fast and much better than my 2 HR23-700s.

Also, channel changing requires an HDMI Handshake which will always take time regardless of anything else you do such as programming. etc. so I don't Surf but I do hit the Guide Button and Surf thru channels to see what programming is on then I Select the Channel I want to watch and wait for the HDMI Handshake to complete it's thing.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

OH yes! i can confirm THAT ! When the hard drive is empty your system is Fast ! So the speed issue is the communication between the Hard Drive and the Head unit. As i stated earlier thats the bottle neck in the system ! I have a 2 tera byte in mine it is 40 % full And its is slow as hell ! Just going to have to wait till the SSD's come down in price and get the 2 tera byte size to make it worth while.

That used to be the case, but frankly, not anymore, at least not for me. I regularly run with fairly full 2tb drives, often less than 10% available, sometimes even 0% available and that has zero effect on the speed of my units vs them being 80% empty.

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

OH yes! i can confirm THAT ! When the hard drive is empty your system is Fast ! So the speed issue is the communication between the Hard Drive and the Head unit.

I have 4 HR24-500s and they are all filled up to about 80% and I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with them at that Capacity!!!

It all depends on what Model DVR you have!!! :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

I have 4 HR24-500s and they are all filled up to about 80% and I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with them at that Capacity!!!

It all depends on what Model DVR you have!!! :hurah:

Man i hope so ! Planning on getting the HR34 and bumping up the capacity to 8 Tera bytes. But i still think the biggest leap in technology is when the SSD drive get bigger and cheaper ! About 2 more years ! Hopefully DTV is building the new units with the Faster sata board to handle 6 gig speed transfer !

#30 OFFLINE   stroh

stroh

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Im sure my problems are hardware related, firmware and software that pushes old hardware too far. Trickplay functions, guide response, menu response, etc. I have tried most if not all of the suggestions above without success.

I called DTV again in a last ditch attempt to get some resolution. Tried the resets again, 963 on the remote again, etc. The tech I spoke with was competent and sympathetic. I explained that I was a happy 15 year DTV customer but couldn't handle the poor performance of the substandard equipment. I asked if they had reports of similar problems with the Genie receivers he advised that he wasn't aware of any. I explained that I was willing to try replacing the receivers with a Genie and client if he thought that would solve the problem. He said the best he could do was $299 for the Genie, $100 for the client, and $49 for the installation. I said I wasn't willing to pay anything out of my pocket to replace substandard equipment. Finally I said I was going to give Uverse a call and would call them back to turn off my service when I had the Uverse up and running. He said he would transfer me to someone that might be able to help give me a better deal. I'm guessing Retention. Bottom line they are going to come out tomorrow and install a new dish, Genie, and client to replace my two hr20's. With discounts, credits and other incentives it won't cost me anything but a new two year commitment.

We'll see what happens...

#31 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Im sure my problems are hardware related, firmware and software that pushes old hardware too far. Trickplay functions, guide response, menu response, etc. I have tried most if not all of the suggestions above without success.

I called DTV again in a last ditch attempt to get some resolution. Tried the resets again, 963 on the remote again, etc. The tech I spoke with was competent and sympathetic. I explained that I was a happy 15 year DTV customer but couldn't handle the poor performance of the substandard equipment. I asked if they had reports of similar problems with the Genie receivers he advised that he wasn't aware of any. I explained that I was willing to try replacing the receivers with a Genie and client if he thought that would solve the problem. He said the best he could do was $299 for the Genie, $100 for the client, and $49 for the installation. I said I wasn't willing to pay anything out of my pocket to replace substandard equipment. Finally I said I was going to give Uverse a call and would call them back to turn off my service when I had the Uverse up and running. He said he would transfer me to someone that might be able to help give me a better deal. I'm guessing Retention. Bottom line they are going to come out tomorrow and install a new dish, Genie, and client to replace my two hr20's. With discounts, credits and other incentives it won't cost me anything but a new two year commitment.

Thank you !! Ive been telling people that on here and get flamed ! As soon as you walk away is when they studder and back track to keep you ! CSR cant help most times but when they switch you into the Retension Rep will do cart wheels !

#32 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Bottom line they are going to come out tomorrow and install a new dish, Genie, and client to replace my two hr20's. With discounts, credits and other incentives it won't cost me anything but a new two year commitment.

Sounds good! I hope the speed improvement with the HR34 will at least get you back to the ‘usable’ level and I’m glad they are setting you up for no charge.

I’d be very interested in your assessment of the performance of the HR34. I've read good and bad but it is hard to know who is being truthful on their assesments. Many here seem to be blinded by their love or hate of DirecTV.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I’d be very interested in your assessment of the performance of the HR34. I've read good and bad but it is hard to know who is being truthful on their assesments. Many here seem to be blinded by their love or hate of DirecTV.

Mine isn't quite up to the response of my HR24. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sounds good! I hope the speed improvement with the HR34 will at least get you back to the ‘usable’ level and I’m glad they are setting you up for no charge.

The HR34 has the same inconsistency that the other HR DVR's have always had. When its working good, its very responsive. When it decides to slow down, you have to do a reset and so far that has always resolved the issue.

I still have an HR22 as well, which has always worked better then what you have described about your HR22. It has actually been really stable and I haven't had as many slow downs as I've had with the HR34. Despite the occasional slow down, with the added features that I gained with the HR34, after 8+ months I'm still glad I upgraded to it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#35 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'd categorize myself as middle-of-the-road on the love/hate scale :lol: I'm sure the OP will chime in after experiencing the HR34, but it tends to be plagued by the same "slow down" problem on occasion. Its speed is not as bad as an HR22 (I still have one to know), but is not as fast as an HR24 (which I also have.) It is a newer receiver, so it does come with additional "quirks" that are being worked out.

As the HR22, HR24, and HR34 all have a different hardware architecture it's curious that they experience similar slowdown issues (albeit to different degrees.) In an all D* household I think you do become accustomed to it. It becomes noticable when company is over, and you're asked "is there something wrong with your box?" It's also more noticable after visiting the neighbors (who have Dish.)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Mine isn't quite up to the response of my HR24. ;)

Hmm... Hopefully better response than the HR24-500 I use the most (that I have to restart every couple of weeks!).

The HR34 has the same inconsistency that the other HR DVR's have always had. When its working good, its very responsive. When it decides to slow down, you have to do a reset and so far that has always resolved the issue.

I still have an HR22 as well, which has always worked better then what you have described about your HR22. It has actually been really stable and I haven't had as many slow downs as I've had with the HR34. Despite the occasional slow down, with the added features that I gained with the HR34, after 8+ months I'm still glad I upgraded to it.

You'd think they would have used the HR34 to get a clean start. Maybe they are using essentially the same code base as the other HRs - who knows.

A plus on the 5 tuners but man I wish they'd fix the response troubles!

I'd categorize myself as middle-of-the-road on the love/hate scale :lol: I'm sure the OP will chime in after experiencing the HR34, but it tends to be plagued by the same "slow down" problem on occasion. Its speed is not as bad as an HR22 (I still have one to know), but is not as fast as an HR24 (which I also have.) It is a newer receiver, so it does come with additional "quirks" that are being worked out.

As the HR22, HR24, and HR34 all have a different hardware architecture it's curious that they experience similar slowdown issues (albeit to different degrees.) In an all D* household I think you do become accustomed to it. It becomes noticable when company is over, and you're asked "is there something wrong with your box?" It's also more noticable after visiting the neighbors (who have Dish.)

Bummer - I guess I'll stick with the HR24s I have for now. Not willing to start a new contract just yet!

#37 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Amazing how four of the most dissatisfied users—well, including one who's not even a DIRECTV® sub— showed up in this thread.

Do any of you have any constructive ideas?

My constructive idea, at least implied, was switching to FiOS. I realize not everyone has that opportunity.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#38 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

My constructive idea, at least implied, was switching to FiOS. I realize not everyone has that opportunity.

That's my thought as well. Rather that getting all butt-hurt and calling those of us who are "OK" with the receivers fanboys, switch to a provider that makes you happy.

Personally, the receivers work just fine for me. I'm much happier with the content selection and the fact that even though the DirecTV receivers aren't perfect, they are much better than the crapware my cable company has been providing to people for the past few years. WHDVR, HD channels that follow a logical numbering scheme (rather than the nonsensical one the cable co uses), a much larger selection of HD channels and HD premiums (not forgetting NFL Sunday Ticket) and the fact that I can record more than one show at a time makes it more than worth the hiccups for me.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#39 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

That's my thought as well. Rather that getting all butt-hurt and calling those of us who are "OK" with the receivers fanboys, switch to a provider that makes you happy.

Personally, the receivers work just fine for me. I'm much happier with the content selection and the fact that even though the DirecTV receivers aren't perfect, they are much better than the crapware my cable company has been providing to people for the past few years. WHDVR, HD channels that follow a logical numbering scheme (rather than the nonsensical one the cable co uses), a much larger selection of HD channels and HD premiums (not forgetting NFL Sunday Ticket) and the fact that I can record more than one show at a time makes it more than worth the hiccups for me.

Well said.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#40 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Well said.

Modifying one's expectations downward does not address the question of how to improve performance.

As DIRECTV has decided that performance is not an issue (and they're supported by legions of apologists that testify regularly that it isn't), the best next options are to reward them with lots of your money (an amount approximately the cost of a 18-24 month ETF) to lease equipment that is currently performing better or seek services elsewhere.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall