Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

"You know it's Monday when..."
You need to scour the forum for someone else's vent to support your agenda.
Has my HR34 done the same thing? Yes, it did back in June when I first got it. Has it done it in the last several months? nope.

If I had an agenda, I'm sure I could find other posts on the internet that would support my agenda, regardless of what or who it was about.

Sorry VOS – didn’t mean to ruin your day!

‘Scour’ is a pretty strong word – all you need to do pretty much any day of the week is look at the last 5 or 6 posts to find someone with one of the recurring complaints. Slow, remote response troubles, new firmware will fix that from the same groups (not you!) etc.

My scouring was clicking on the latest post in the HD DVR forum.

I do have an agenda – I want DirecTV to fix their DVRs. I know they are not idiots… Like I said their ideas are great the features are great they just can’t seem to get past the same recurring troubles.

BTW – I only referred to that other thread because it is about trouble with DirecTV’s newest DVR…. Meaning they continue to struggle with the software on their DVRs.

I have stated multiple times that I don’t think every DirecTV receiver has all the problems and I know you don’t think that because you don’t have a particular problem it means that no one else does….

Have a better Monday!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

My HR34, and even my C31s, behaved themselves this weekend.

These devices are still earning my trust. I still treat them with a certain amount of "technical apprehension."
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#383 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sorry VOS – didn’t mean to ruin your day!

You didn't, and you have sympathy for your own troubles.
This doesn't transfer though when you post a link to someone else's post about another model, that nobody knows what's going on with. They may just have a defective receiver, or who know what. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#384 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

These devices are still earning my trust. I still treat them with a certain amount of "technical apprehension."

The C31s and RVU have their own teething troubles.
A.K.A VOS

#385 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

You didn't, and you have sympathy for your own troubles.
This doesn't transfer though when you post a link to someone else's post about another model, that nobody knows what's going on with. They may just have a defective receiver, or who know what. :shrug:

VOS - I consider you to be one the levelheaded regulars here. I know that when I get under your skin I've likely pushed it too far!

I just read the thread about the HR34 troubles and then the multiple pile on about the troubles by the others in that thread and thought - 'Business as usual in DirecTV engineering'.... Wasn't really looking to stir the pot... Ok, well, at least not to the degree it came across!

#386 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I don't trust any DVR. D* could alleviate that distrust by allowing us to swap HDDs between HRs WITHIN OUR ACCOUNTS. Please?

Rich

#387 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

VOS - I consider you to be one the levelheaded regulars here. I know that when I get under your skin I've likely pushed it too far!

I just read the thread about the HR34 troubles and then the multiple pile on about the troubles by the others in that thread and thought - 'Business as usual in DirecTV engineering'.... Wasn't really looking to stir the pot... Ok, well, at least not to the degree it came across!

The whole HD DVR "road" has been bumpy to say the least.
DirecTV currently is supporting 11 different HD DVRs, with each running a slightly different code.
TiVo seems to have better code from the reports, but took several years for the THR22 to come to the market.
I guess there will always be a debate as to whether DirecTV should keep adding new features or stop and focus on improving overall performance for every user. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#388 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Let’s hope that someone in DirecTV engineering and/or management is embarrassed enough to actually do something about DirecTV DVRs.

Here’s hoping for a change in DirecTV someday soon…

The problem as I have stated before is many faceted:
(1) Underpowered CPUs with Insufficient RAM
(2) Poorly written Software
(3) HDGUI which slowed everthing down
(4) Trying to make the DVR do too many things that it was not designed for

Directv has made some Excellent Improvements such as the HR24 and HR34 Models which have More Horsepower and More RAM and are more efficient DVRs.

I think a Senior Manager in Directv's Marketing Dept. probably woke and realized that they needed these changes in HP and RAM in order to support all of the things they plan on making the DVR do. :)

EDIT: Some of us who Own HR24s have Replaced the Internal Hard Drive with Faster 2 TB Drives with a Larger Cache so maybe that is also helping us Resolve Problems and Experience Better Performance.

Edited by Richierich, 18 December 2012 - 09:37 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#389 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

I hear the "HD GUI" mentioned a lot as a potential culprit in loss of performance.

Aside from the inset window where the program keeps playing, displaying a menu hardly seems like a overwhelming task for a device that is otherwise capable of putting out full-screen, full-motion HD video to one (or more) televisions, while also possibly recording one or more programs. Oh no, I have to render a scrolling menu, text, and a big, fat cursor...but in HD?! Quelle horreur! :confused: It's a program guide and an inset, not Call of Duty.

Corollary: can I noticably speed up my Windows computer by easing its screen resolution? It won't have to work as hard if I reduce the number of those pesky pixels it has to concern itself with. :D

It would be so lame of them if, all else being equal, rendering high-def menus was the straw that broke the camel's back.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#390 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

It would be so lame of them if, all else being equal, rendering high-def menus was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quite true - but of course that is not the case.

As others have pointed out - some of the firmware running on older (pre HR24) models do indeed sometimes struggle to perform guide, menu, and other screen presentations in a brisk manner. The processor (and graphics chip) in more recent generation units are significant tech leaps over previous HD DVRs and receivers.

In addition, hard drives and their corresponding data cache sizes and speeds have evolved over recent years. Other components are also "newer and faster" inside. The quantity of data transmitted, received, and processed these days is exponentially more than just 2-3 years ago.

All these advancements have allowed the newer HR24 and HR34 generation HD DVRs and comparable HD receivers to support more robust firmware that includes new, additional, enhanced capabilities.

Despite all of this...the firmware continues to be refined over time, and even older models can experience improved performance with the "latest and greatest" features. Progress has been made - some work still needs to be done.

Consider a 4-5 year old PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. A similar paradigm fits.

In reality, I would not anticipate nor expect a 3, 4, 5, or 6 year old HD DVR to run the latest and greatest firmware in like manner to a new - 18 month-old device. That expectation simply doesn't seem realistic.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#391 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Progress has been made - some work still needs to be done.

Finally! We agree on something!:lol:

#392 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Finally! We agree on something!:lol:

Well that's nice....as long as the big picture explained in Post 390 is part of the consideration. ;)

#393 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Maybe their next DVR will have the exact same RAM, CPU, and hard drive hardware, but with the addition of two or three more tuners. It will therefore be even busier, and menu and RVU client performance will suffer accordingly. :D

Okay, just kidding.

#394 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Well that's nice....as long as the big picture explained in Post 390 is part of the consideration. ;)

I know, I know - it's not good for your reputation to be caught agreeing with anything I say!:lol:

I understand what you're saying.... And agree to a certain degree. My only point would be that a Dish Network 622 DVR from 6 or 7 years ago is still, to this day, much quicker in every way than an HR24 from DirecTV.

I do prefer DirecTV obviously... I put up with their firmware troubles year after year and I still keep paying my bill every month... Maybe DirecTV could just steal some engineers from Dish Network?

DirecTV does have the vision - they have some cool stuff - maybe they just need a little help in the engineering department where the rubber meets the road.

#395 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I know, I know - it's not good for your reputation to be caught agreeing with anything I say!:lol:

!rolling:goodjob:

I understand what you're saying.... And agree to a certain degree. My only point would be that a Dish Network 622 DVR from 6 or 7 years ago is still, to this day, much quicker in every way than an HR24 from DirecTV.

I do prefer DirecTV obviously... I put up with their firmware troubles year after year and I still keep paying my bill every month... Maybe DirecTV could just steal some engineers from Dish Network?

DirecTV does have the vision - they have some cool stuff - maybe they just need a little help in the engineering department where the rubber meets the road.

Points well taken.

#396 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Directv doesn't need to steal engineers from Dish they just need to Focus on fixing what they have that needs attention performance wise and quit trying to Add Bells & Whistles but that is the Nature of the Marketing Department in almost every company.

They are Obsessed with having to come up with New Great Marketing Ideas and Bells and Whistles that can't be supported by their equipment. They are afraid they will lose their job if they don't.
Here's My Setup

#397 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Now that is Funny!!! :lol::lol::lol:
Here's My Setup

#398 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

DirecTV doesn't need to steal engineers from Dish they just need to Focus on fixing what they have that needs attention performance wise and quit trying to Add Bells & Whistles but that is the Nature of the Marketing Department in almost every company.

Comparing HD DVRs anyway is likely somewhat out of sync...each does similar things but in different ways and to different degrees of sophistication.

I suspect no one is worried about their jobs - there's plenty of innovation going on for years now and plenty of work being done to improve upon the results.

It is also puzzling to understand all the extended discussions by a few folks pondering the use of menus/guides (UI) anyway. Most often, this makes up <3% of the total HD DVR experience - with the other 97%+ made up of actually watching content.

Perhaps the real net effect of it all is that the ideas/capabilities are moving at a brisker pace than the hardware. Then again, DirecTV has released new units quite regularly for some time now.

#399 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Directv doesn't need to steal engineers from Dish they just need to Focus on fixing what they have that needs attention performance wise and quit trying to Add Bells & Whistles but that is the Nature of the Marketing Department in almost every company.

They are Obsessed with having to come up with New Great Marketing Ideas and Bells and Whistles that can't be supported by their equipment. They are afraid they will lose their job if they don't.

+1....... Two long term issues come to mind. Caller ID and Smart Search. Caller ID comes and goes like the weather. One day it's working, the next day it isn't. With Smart Search I bank a list of my favorite actors and directors using Recent Searches. John Wayne is one of them. When I select his name a list of his films appear but no photo or background information. Yet, if I select one of his films, then select Cast & Crew his picture and background information are there. This issue is with other actors and directors in my Recent Searches list but not with all of them. Horns and Whistles are nice but DirecTV needs to fix the current ones before adding more.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#400 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps the real net effect of it all is that the ideas/capabilities are moving at a brisker pace than the hardware. Then again, DirecTV has released new units quite regularly for some time now.

That is why I think that the HR24 and the HR34 DVRs are starting to meet those capabilities of all of those Bells and Whistles, more HP and RAM was needed along with a better hard drive and Optimized Software Code.
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...