Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

That is why I think that the HR24 and the HR34 DVRs are starting to meet those capabilities of all of those Bells and Whistles, more HP and RAM was needed along with a better hard drive and Optimized Software Code.

Yup - and why the older units (HR20's are over 6 years old) struggle.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yup - and why the older units (HR20's are over 6 years old) struggle.

EXACTLY!!!

The older units were not designed to do all of the heavy work that is being thrown at them so Directv got smart finally and addressed the Issue of Sluggisness and Upgraded their CPU, RAM and Hard Drive along with streamlining some old code to make it work better.

Directv needs to get rid of those older DVRs and Replace them Free with New HR24s or HR34s to keep those existing customers happy so they want leave and go to Dish or Comcast.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#403 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

EXACTLY!!!

The older units were not designed to do all of the heavy work that is being thrown at them so Directv got smart finally and addressed the Issue of Sluggisness and Upgraded their CPU, RAM and Hard Drive along with streamlining some old code to make it work better.

Directv needs to get rid of those older DVRs and Replace them Free with New HR24s or HR34s to keep those existing customers happy so they want leave and go to Dish or Comcast.

That's never going to happen. No company does that. They will upgrade all the sd people to Hi Definition before they ever upgrade old Hi Definition equipment, especially considering the whole point of the leased program is to keep these machines in the field for a minimum amount of time.

With that said,I think we have seen the last of new features in all hx2x units. I think any more new features will only be on the genie, like genie recommends, etc. I only see tweaking and improving existing stuff on the hr2x units.

Not to mention, my HR20 and HR21 are faster now than they where before the Hi Definition GUI. Not by much, but a little.

#404 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

With that said,I think we have seen the last of new features in all hx2x units. I think any more new features will only be on the genie, like genie recommends, etc. I only see tweaking and improving existing stuff on the hr2x units.

Not to mention, my HR20 and HR21 are faster now than they where before the Hi Definition GUI. Not by much, but a little.

Agree with you....certainly no major changes on the legacy devices.

Anything older than an HR24/H24 will likely not see much more than what is there today going forward in terms of firmware-based capabilities.

#405 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

It is also puzzling to understand all the extended discussions by a few folks pondering the use of menus/guides (UI) anyway. Most often, this makes up <3% of the total HD DVR experience - with the other 97%+ made up of actually watching content.

Umm.. you need the GUI to tell the DVR what you want to watch. Turning the key in the ignition to start a car is 1% of the driving experience, but it's the most critical part. Because if your car doesn't get the signal to start, none of the car's other features will matter.

#406 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Umm.. you need the GUI to tell the DVR what you want to watch. Turning the key in the ignition to start a car is 1% of the driving experience, but it's the most critical part. Because if your car doesn't get the signal to start, none of the car's other features will matter.

Ummm...and that takes maybe 1-3% (or less) of all the time one uses their HDTV.

Most of the time is spent WATCHING it.

Taking 3 seconds or 10 seconds on this and that in the GUI is far from any major thing. Some people seem to infer they spend more time with their User Interface than watching anything.

#407 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

That's never going to happen. They will upgrade all the sd people to Hi Definition before they ever upgrade old Hi Definition equipment, especially considering the whole point of the leased program is to keep these machines in the field for a minimum amount of time.

I think you meant to say for a maximum amount of time rather than a minimum. :lol:
Here's My Setup

#408 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I think you meant to say for a maximum amount of time rather than a minimum. :lol:

No, minimum. For example hr20s are now past their minimum, so they no longer supply those to people. They are not going to replace ones already in the field, no one would do that proactively at this point. But they aren't going to hand them out anymore either.

#409 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I know Directv will Never Replace those DVRs but for a Multi Billion Dollar Company I would think it would make sense to do so and therefore you would Reduce Churn which is the Number One thing Dish, Comcast and Directv would like to avoid as it costs them a lot of money.

Happy Customers not only stay with you but they tell Friends and Family so it is not just that one household you might lose but perhaps 5 or 10 more households.
Here's My Setup

#410 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

I know Directv will Never Replace those DVRs but for a Multi Billion Dollar Company I would think it would make sense to do so and therefore you would Reduce Churn which is the Number One thing Dish, Comcast and Directv would like to avoid as it costs them a lot of money.

Happy Customers not only stay with you but they tell Friends and Family so it is not just that one household you might lose but perhaps 5 or 10 more households.

Actually I think new customers and advertising are what cost companies the most money. Promotions, discounted equipment, free installation - that all comes out of someone's pocket. A lost customer is just a lost revenue stream that they've already recouped their original costs to acquire for.

Furthermore, proactively replacing old equipment is also not something the investors or board are going to approve because there is nothing financial to gain from it. It would be a massive expense that the company would have to absorb and they may not even keep the customers that they are trying to appease with this approach, resulting in a net loss on the account. The only way something like this could fly is if they automatically renew you to a 2 year contract upon equipment replacement.

It's just simple business. You throw money at bringing in new customers and you deal with the ones that cry the loudest. Churn is going to be unavoidable at some point because people change service for a variety of reasons, not just because the equipment "sucks" - they may save money bundling elsewhere, want to spend less on entertainment or just may have something they personally dislike about a company.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#411 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Shucks....after over 400 posts....it would seem the original question must have been answered by now.... :shrug:

#412 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Taking 3 seconds or 10 seconds on this and that in the GUI is far from any major thing. Some people seem to infer they spend more time with their User Interface than watching anything.

No, I don't think it's that at all. It's just the time spent in the GUI is potentially the most aggravating, regardless of what the actual time proportion is.

For example, I started playback of a recording last night on my C31. I just got a blank gray screen. I was still able to back out to the list, so I scrolled down to the same program, hit play, and then it worked properly. Okay then; thanks for the random glitch.

The time spent messing with that is clearly within the 1-3% of time spent using the equipment, if not less, but I assure you it's the most annoying! That harms the perceived quality and utility of the whole service. At least it does for me.

My father-in-law just got this same setup earlier this week, as they just moved to a different house and switched to D*. I wonder what his experience has been thus far, as he isn't coming from the same tech-savvy background like we are here on the forum. Also his first time having a DVR. Looking forward to discussing it with him when they visit this weekend.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#413 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Shucks....after over 400 posts....it would seem the original question must have been answered by now.... :shrug:

Are any receivers responsive?

Well, sort of…

If you can’t put up with the quirks you’re better off just turning the TV off.

#414 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Consider these two points:

1. Speed is subjective.

2. Speed relative to other products in the marketplace is something that many posters aren't all that well acquainted with.

When someone claims that they aren't experiencing any speed issues yet they note that channel changes could take eight or more seconds, you have to think that there's a disconnect (or rose colored glasses) between the sample and the rest of the HD DVR marketplace.

There's also the issue of how one measures speed and whether or not those metrics have much application in real life.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#415 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

WOW. Now I feel so enlightened.

#416 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

When someone claims that they aren't experiencing any speed issues yet they note that channel changes could take eight or more seconds, you have to think that there's a disconnect (or rose colored glasses) between the sample and the rest of the HD DVR marketplace.

"REALLY"?
One may not have speed problems that others have, but acknowledges changing resolutions can take too long, and is either using rose colored glasses or are completely disconnected?

Now we all know that you don't have rose colored glasses, but one might say you are disconnected, since you don't have DirecTV. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#417 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I'm not just trying to watch TV, I'm trying to direct TV. But I can't because I can't control the #$@!% DVR! I either end up watching video I don't want to watch or I'm stuck on a frozen guide for 5 to 30 seconds. I don't count that as watching TV.

When changing to CNN, channel 202, the DVR takes 4 seconds to interpret that as a 20, then it takes 4 seconds to change to channel 20, then spends four seconds on that channel, then it takes another 4 seconds changing to channel 2. So I press 2-0-2 again, but this time it waits 4 seconds, interprets that as changing to channel 2, followed by a 4 second pause, followed by another attempt to change to channel 02. I press 2-0-2 again and finally the box takes 6 seconds to change to 202. That only took 30 seconds to change a channel. And that apparently is just a minor problem. Uh-oh, here come the commercials, do I dare attempt to change channels again?

The HR24 has a different experience. It always interprets the channel number correctly and usually behaves. But sometimes there is a 7 to 30 second period where it refuses to acknowledge your existence. So I spend 30 seconds watching video I couldn't care less about or staring at the frozen GUI, then the box grants me permission to change the channel or continue using the guide. But not before it processes all the buttons I pressed in that unresponsive period. Of course, I have to spend a few seconds correcting THAT, then I perform my 4-6 second channel change. Once again, it takes over 30 seconds just to change a channel. But at least that only happens once in a while. I should be thankful for that apparently.

Now I've been told I should try resetting the DVR -- that's 15 minutes of my life I'm not getting back. I'm not watching TV then either. And that causes the DVR to slow down for two days as it's processing guide data, leading to more of the same problems I'm trying to fix.

With FIOS, I can actually channel surf again. In HD! On a big screen TV! I've forgotten how to do that in the 15 years I was a DirecTV customer.

Edited by bobcamp1, 19 December 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#418 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for that description. This is precisely why my wife refuses to touch the remote anymore.

I'm not just trying to watch TV, I'm trying to direct TV. But I can't because I can't control the #$@!% DVR! I either end up watching video I don't want to watch or I'm stuck on a frozen guide for 5 to 30 seconds. I don't count that as watching TV.

When changing to CNN, channel 202, the DVR takes 4 seconds to interpret that as a 20, then it takes 4 seconds to change to channel 20, then spends four seconds on that channel, then it takes another 4 seconds changing to channel 2. So I press 2-0-2 again, but this time it waits 4 seconds, interprets that as changing to channel 2, followed by a 4 second pause, followed by another attempt to change to channel 02. I press 2-0-2 again and finally the box takes 6 seconds to change to 202. That only took 30 seconds to change a channel. And that apparently is just a minor problem. Uh-oh, here come the commercials, do I dare attempt to change channels again?

The HR24 has a different experience. It always interprets the channel number correctly and usually behaves. But sometimes there is a 7 to 30 second period where it refuses to acknowledge your existence. So I spend 30 seconds watching video I couldn't care less about or staring at the frozen GUI, then the box grants me permission to change the channel or continue using the guide. But not before it processes all the buttons I pressed in that unresponsive period. Of course, I have to spend a few seconds correcting THAT, then I perform my 4-6 second channel change. Once again, it takes over 30 seconds just to change a channel. But at least that only happens once in a while. I should be thankful for that apparently.

Now I've been told I should try resetting the DVR -- that's 15 minutes of my life I'm not getting back. I'm not watching TV then either. And that causes the DVR to slow down for two days as it's processing guide data, leading to more of the same problems I'm trying to fix.

With FIOS, I can actually channel surf again. In HD! On a big screen TV! I've forgotten how to do that in the 15 years I was a DirecTV customer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#419 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm not just trying to watch TV, I'm trying to direct TV.

Uh...sure...Ok.

Since multiple HD DVRs here and HD receivers simply don't have any significant impact or issues as you described for the end user experience in this household...and only a fraction of time is spent "directing" our HDTVs for scheduling and programming guide use...it's unfortunate your older device seem to have a problem.

That's not the case with HR24's or newer, which you referenced as well. As others have repeatedly point out...running jet fuel in an older car doesn't usually make it run faster. The same holds true for firmware.

#420 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 514 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I guess I'm the Lone Ranger... my three HR20-700 perform very well. Granted I have to "wake them up" (the first command or two is slow)... but after that I cannot complain about speed of channel changes and the like (except perhaps trick play from a remote room via whole home).
Three HR20-700 -- two with 2TB external drives
Whole home via hard wired ethernet.
HS
D* user since 11/94

Protected By... spam firewall...And...