Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I guess I'm the Lone Ranger... my three HR20-700 perform very well. Granted I have to "wake them up" (the first command or two is slow)... but after that I cannot complain about speed of channel changes and the like (except perhaps trick play from a remote room via whole home).
Three HR20-700 -- two with 2TB external drives
Whole home via hard wired ethernet.

Good to hear.

But of course you know that a few others will debate that even though it's what you actually see with your own eyes... :rolleyes:

Still - many of us are not surprised. Enjoy.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I guess I'm the Lone Ranger... my three HR20-700 perform very well. Granted I have to "wake them up" (the first command or two is slow)... but after that I cannot complain about speed of channel changes and the like (except perhaps trick play from a remote room via whole home).
Three HR20-700 -- two with 2TB external drives
Whole home via hard wired ethernet.

I've got 3 HR20-700s that still run well. After they "wake up". I also find that the 24s I have and use primarily as servers take a little bit of time to realize that they're actually being used as DVRs.

Rich

#423 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

And you don't debate what we see with our eyes? You're essentially saying there is no problem and that those of us with doggy DVRs are wrong.

If you can do it, then why can't we? :D

Good to hear.

But of course you know that a few others will debate that even though it's what you actually see with your own eyes... :rolleyes:

Still - many of us are not surprised. Enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#424 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

That's not the case with HR24's or newer, which you referenced as well. As others have repeatedly point out...running jet fuel in an older car doesn't usually make it run faster. The same holds true for firmware.

The HR34 certainly isn't winning any sprint medals at the DVR Olympics, either.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#425 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Now we all know that you don't have rose colored glasses, but one might say you are disconnected, since you don't have DirecTV. :nono:

Those familiar with only one product line aren't much qualified to make comparative judgements.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#426 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Uh...sure...Ok.

Since multiple HD DVRs here and HD receivers simply don't have any significant impact or issues as you described for the end user experience in this household...and only a fraction of time is spent "directing" our HDTVs for scheduling and programming guide use...it's unfortunate your older device seem to have a problem.

That's not the case with HR24's or newer, which you referenced as well. As others have repeatedly point out...running jet fuel in an older car doesn't usually make it run faster. The same holds true for firmware.

Using that logic makes your HR24 start locking up around 10 days after a reboot just like mine does!:lol:

You can't have it both ways!

#427 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Using that logic makes your HR24 start locking up around 10 days after a reboot just like mine does!:lol:

You can't have it both ways!

All I know Mike is that I got rid of all of my HR2X Older DVRs and Replaced them with HR24s and now I am a Happy Camper except for the 2 HR23-700 DVRs that are a tad slow to respond but I just use them as Backup DVRs for Archiving Purposes so it doesn't bother me.

However, I am sure glad I went to the HR24s and I recommended Rich to do the same and now he is also a Happy Camper like me. :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#428 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

And you don't debate what we see with our eyes? You're essentially saying there is no problem and that those of us with doggy DVRs are wrong.

If you can do it, then why can't we? :D

You certainly can. That said...without knowing how your entire hardware, DECA network, and HD DVR configuration setup is arranged, as well as firmware versions on each unit...comparisons are not apples to apples for anyone.

The HR34 certainly isn't winning any sprint medals at the DVR Olympics, either.

It's quite perky here right now. Using it most of the day.

Those familiar with only one product line aren't much qualified to make comparative judgments.

Then again, having a Dish customer make any comparisons on anything DirecTV-oriented is meaningless. That's not Harsh....it's a fact.

#429 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Those familiar with only one product line aren't much qualified to make comparative judgements.

But they can make observations about what they're using, which doesn't seem to be your case here.

Are there "faster" DVRs out there? :shrug:
I question someone saying theirs tunes in < 500 ms, but that's because my own TV can't do that from an OTA antenna.
I haven't channel surfed since cable added a guide some 20 years ago. I surf the guide.
I've seen the dish video scrolling through their guide and would be hard pressed to see a difference from my own HMC/Genie speed. Maybe a high speed camera could show a difference but if it's faster than I can read, what's the point of being faster?

Do I wait a moment for my guide to come up?
Sure, but it's truly only a moment, and so short it's hard to quantify. I doubt I'd get past "one" of a count.

Does the DVR take longer to tune to a channel than my TV?
Yep, by about 1 sec. It's slower when it changes resolutions, but this is an option I select, and I can turn it off if it was a problem.
With U-Verse I didn't have the option, and since I watch three or four resolutions, I'd rather have the option than not.
So I guess I do have more experience than with "one product". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#430 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I haven't channel surfed since cable added a guide some 20 years ago. I surf the guide.

I Surf The Guide Also so why do people find the need to Channel Surf when you can just Select the Guide and scroll down the Guide until you find something on a Channe that you want to watch!!! :confused:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#431 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I Surf The Guide Also so why do people find the need to Channel Surf when you can just Select the Guide and scroll down the Guide until you find something on a Channe that you want to watch!!! :confused:

Yeah. Channel surfing was necessary when we had a handful of channels and no on screen guide and out of date printed guides. But no more, thanks be to any deity of your choice.

The DIRECTV app for iPad is the king of guides for guide surfing in my household.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#432 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for that description. This is precisely why my wife refuses to touch the remote anymore.

+1. It's a constant battle to keep DTV,

#433 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

And some people, like me, don't channel or guide surf :)

#434 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

And some people, like me, don't channel or guide surf :)

Do you, what, guess a ch. number and enter it on inspiration or faith? :D

You surely must peruse some sort of guide from time to time....!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#435 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

All I know Mike is that I got rid of all of my HR2X Older DVRs and Replaced them with HR24s and now I am a Happy Camper except for the 2 HR23-700 DVRs that are a tad slow to respond but I just use them as Backup DVRs for Archiving Purposes so it doesn't bother me.

However, I am sure glad I went to the HR24s and I recommended Rich to do the same and now he is also a Happy Camper like me. :hurah:

I’m much happier with the HR24s but they still need some work. They were faster and more responsive before the HDGUI.

I was just trying to say the hdtvfan0001 shouldn’t assume that everyone is having the same experience as he is… Just as I should not assume that everyone with HR24s is having my experience.

It’s pretty obvious from the bazillion posts here on DBSTALK that not everyone is having the same experience.

Just in my house I am having 3 different experiences with 3 different HR24-500s! They all have the same firmware and configuration but are not ‘the same’…..

#436 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Just in my house I am having 3 different experiences with 3 different HR24-500s! They all have the same firmware and configuration but are not ‘the same’…..

Clearly it must be "user error" !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#437 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Clearly it must be "user error" !rolling

Clearly! But as far as I know I only have two distinct personalities - not 3!

#438 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Clearly! But as far as I know I only have two distinct personalities - not 3!

So you're not using the only one that is working correctly. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#439 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

I was just trying to say the hdtvfan0001 shouldn’t assume that everyone is having the same experience as he is… Just as I should not assume that everyone with HR24s is having my experience.

Never assumed it...but plenty of evidence that most folks see fast UI interactions with HR24 and newer units, which would be expected.

#440 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

So you're not using the only one that is working correctly. :lol:

Yep - oddly I use all three at different times! I didn't buy into receivers I don't use! I guess I could order up 3 or 4 extra and use all of them for a month then send back slowest, most problematic ones... But then I expect DirecTV to do their own quality control!

You'd think an HR24-500 was HR24-500. Maybe they made some hardware changes along the line? Who knows - but they are not all the same.

Funny thing is the only one that Caller ID works reliably on is the one I have the most trouble with....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...