Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Never assumed it...but plenty of evidence that most folks see fast UI interactions with HR24 and newer units, which would be expected.

Also plenty of 'evidence' that there a quite a number of people with the same old recurring troubles.....:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Also plenty of 'evidence' that there a quite a number of people with the same old recurring troubles.....:)

I suspected you might have hit your head accidently when you fainted from my agreement earlier.... :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#443 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

I suspected you might have hit your head accidently when you fainted from my agreement earlier.... :lol:

I’m actually still in shock. Just more evidence that the world will indeed come to an end tomorrow!

#444 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

I’m actually still in shock. Just more evidence that the world will indeed come to an end tomorrow!

Tomorrow might just be The Biggest Non Event since Y2K!!!

It can't happen because we are going to Las Vegas in January for CES 2013 and we already have our Airline Tickets booked!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#445 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I’m much happier with the HR24s but they still need some work. They were faster and more responsive before the HDGUI.

I was just trying to say the hdtvfan0001 shouldn’t assume that everyone is having the same experience as he is… Just as I should not assume that everyone with HR24s is having my experience.

It’s pretty obvious from the bazillion posts here on DBSTALK that not everyone is having the same experience.

Just in my house I am having 3 different experiences with 3 different HR24-500s! They all have the same firmware and configuration but are not ‘the same’…..

I've got six 500s and one of them does seem a bit wacky at times. Not enough for me to return it, but it does bring the subject of quality control into the conversation. The lack of quality control, I mean. I realize that absolute identical performance in any device when compared to another is unreasonable to expect, but out of the 10 or 11 HR24-500s I've had...well, I've got six that work well out of those 10 or 11 and that's not an indication of a good quality control system.

Rich

#446 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Tomorrow might just be The Biggest Non Event since Y2K!!!

It can't happen because we are going to Las Vegas in January for CES 2013 and we already have our Airline Tickets booked!!! :lol:

Good point!

#447 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Well at least you were more responsive... :D

#448 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I've got six 500s and one of them does seem a bit wacky at times. Not enough for me to return it, but it does bring the subject of quality control into the conversation. The lack of quality control, I mean. I realize that absolute identical performance in any device when compared to another is unreasonable to expect, but out of the 10 or 11 HR24-500s I've had...well, I've got six that work well out of those 10 or 11 and that's not an indication of a good quality control system.

Rich

Wow Rich! - 6 out of 10 or 11 is not a good thing! Quality control - or lack thereof - may be a big part of the problem.

#449 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Wow Rich! - 6 out of 10 or 11 is not a good thing! Quality control - or lack thereof - may be a big part of the problem.

Companies such as glass factories that make beer bottles would go out of business quickly with a breakage rate like that.

But those types of companies have stringent QC protocols to keep that from happening.

In order for D* to do that, they'd have to have QC people in the factories where the DVRs are made. Don't think that's gonna happen. Really have to wonder if they even have any oversight of the manufacturers.

Rich

#450 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not to divert the conversation (much)...but those are all HR24-500's.

I suspect it's not so much Quality Control as it is the anomalies of a unique model device. The HR24-500 was the first HD DVR with a one-off manufacturer processor inside. Based on the bumpy road for firmware stability on the -500 devices in its early days (especially compared to all those many other models with Broadcom chips inside), I can't say I'm all that surprised.

The HR24-500 isn't a bad unit at all...many have enjoyed them to date...but it has displayed unique "hiccups" at times which were not found with its Broadcom chip brethren.

All that said...it is fair and reasonable to expect all HD DVRs to basically function properly and demonstrate reasonable performance. What is considered "properly" and "reasonable" are subjective terms that are at the root of most debate on that topic.

#451 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Not to divert the conversation (much)...but those are all HR24-500's.

I suspect it's not so much Quality Control as it is the anomalies of a unique model device. The HR24-500 was the first HD DVR with a one-off manufacturer processor inside. Based on the bumpy road for firmware stability on the -500 devices in its early days (especially compared to all those many other models with Broadcom chips inside), I can't say I'm all that surprised.

The HR24-500 isn't a bad unit at all...many have enjoyed them to date...but it has displayed unique "hiccups" at times which were not found with its Broadcom chip brethren.

All that said...it is fair and reasonable to expect all HD DVRs to basically function properly and demonstrate reasonable performance. What is considered "properly" and "reasonable" are subjective terms that are at the root of most debate on that topic.

I like the 500s now that they've stabilized. But it's not just the 500s I'm talking about. I've really never seen any sign of a good QC program in any of the HRs. Some work well, some don't. Same model, same firmware. How would you like to pick up a cool bottle of beer after a long day and have it explode in your hand? Without a stringent QC program, that would happen more often than you'd believe.

Rich

#452 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I like the 500s now that they've stabilized. But it's not just the 500s I'm talking about. I've really never seen any sign of a good QC program in any of the HRs. Some work well, some don't. Same model, same firmware. How would you like to pick up a cool bottle of beer after a long day and have it explode in your hand? Without a stringent QC program, that would happen more often than you'd believe.

I'd agree that not all HD DVR boxes are created alike. Like cars (even the luxury brands), you get a bad one now and then. Remember....they make millions of units...and only a fraction of those are referenced here in threads - and many of those as much positive as not. Folks tend to speak up about problems but tend not to post "everything is going just fine thank you" as much.

In addition, it seems certain models have some history with more "issues" than others - which likely has as much to do with certain manufacturer Q/A as anything else. If the firmware's the same and the boxes the same in a series device based on specs, then the only variable is the specific manufacturer for a specific model unit.

There are some manufacturers the DirecTV no longer contracts with for hardware, and also some new ones. We'll see how the newer ones hold up with the test of time...but your point about Q/A being important is absolutely spot on.

Of note - the OP has 2 HR20-100's - quite old devices. I suspect newer units would render a better viewing experience.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 20 December 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#453 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I've got six 500s and one of them does seem a bit wacky at times. Not enough for me to return it, but it does bring the subject of quality control into the conversation. I realize that absolute identical performance in any device when compared to another is unreasonable to expect, but out of the 10 or 11 HR24-500s I've had...well, I've got six that work well out of those 10 or 11 and that's not an indication of a good quality control system.
Rich

All 5 of my HR24-500s work Great and are Fast. I might just Replace my 2 HR23-700s down the road. :D
Here's My Setup

#454 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'd agree that not all HD DVR boxes are created alike. Like cars (even the luxury brands), you get a bad one now and then. Remember....they make millions of units...and only a fraction of those are referenced here in threads - and many of those as much positive as not. Folks tend to speak up about problems but tend not to post "everything is going just fine thank you" as much.

Agree with that, I do.

In addition, it seems certain models have some history with more "issues" than others - which likely has as much to do with certain manufacturer Q/A as anything else. If the firmware's the same and the boxes the same in a series device based on specs, then the only variable is the specific manufacturer for a specific model unit.

There are some manufacturers the DirecTV no longer contracts with for hardware, and also some new ones. We'll see how the newer ones hold up with the test of time...but your point about Q/A being important is absolutely spot on.

Yup, can't find anything to argue about there.

Of note - the OP has 2 HR20-100's - quite old devices. I suspect newer units would render a better viewing experience.

Never ceases to amaze me that those things work. Never had a 100 that worked until I got the 24-100s... :lol:

Rich

#455 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

All 5 of my HR24-500s work Great and are Fast. I might just Replace my 2 HR23-700s down the road. :D

I'd do that sooner than later. I'd be a bit leery about the 24-100s, it's a PITA to install a 2TB drive internally. And, in some aspects, they're slower than the 500s. Simply put, the 500s are better.

Rich

#456 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'd do that sooner than later. I'd be a bit leery about the 24-100s, it's a PITA to install a 2TB drive internally. And, in some aspects, they're slower than the 500s. Simply put, the 500s are better.
Rich

Yes it is better to Own an HR24-500 as it is easier to Replace the Internal Hard Drive in those DVRs and that is a whole lot better than attaching an External Drive Enclosure that periodically will reboot to the Internal Drive. :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#457 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Rich

It's different...but not hard. Or so I've heard... ;)

For those with owned units and some light experience....both the HR24-500's and HR24-100's are not difficult in terms of internal hard drive upgrades.

#458 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

For those with owned units and some light experience....both the HR24-500's and HR24-100's are not difficult in terms of internal hard drive upgrades.

Replacing the Internal Hard Drive in my HR24-500s takes about 10 minutes so it is a Piece of Cake. Now I just need to buy me 2 more HR24-500s and I am Done!!!

Stick a Fork in me!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#459 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Replacing the Internal Hard Drive in my HR24-500s takes about 10 minutes so it is a Piece of Cake. Now I just need to buy me 2 more HR24-500s and I am Done!!!

Stick a Fork in me!!! :lol:

There are 2 punch lines in there...but we'll just respect the rules and let those pass. :D

#460 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Users experience is different.

If you have, say, a stock HR20-700 and a HR20-700 with a 2TB Hard Drive the performance is dramatically different. The unit with the 2TB Hard Drive will take up to 15 minutes or so longer to boot.

If your hard drive is filled up with programming your response rates are different than if you have 90% free. If you have a 2TB with 10% free, you will really wait....wait.....wait issues.

As thus, many can report their unit is fine - while others can report all kinds of issues - because of the number of programs on the dvr and the capacity of the Hard Drive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...