Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Users experience is different.

If you have, say, a stock HR20-700 and a HR20-700 with a 2TB Hard Drive the performance is dramatically different. The unit with the 2TB Hard Drive will take up to 15 minutes or so longer to boot.

The specific Hard Disk Drive chosen alone could make a major difference as described....low cache, low spin rate, cheaper internal motor or electronics, etc. can impact results. Not just any 2 TB drive works well in an HD DVR. More recently, manufacturers are even modifying certain models specifically for video playback purposes.

None of those things have anything to do with the HD DVR itself, but will certainly impact performance.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

The specific Hard Disk Drive chosen alone could make a major difference as described....low cache, low spin rate, cheaper internal motor or electronics, etc. can impact results. Not just any 2 TB drive works well in an HD DVR. More recently, manufacturers are even modifying certain models specifically for video playback purposes.

None of those things have anything to do with the HD DVR itself, but will certainly impact performance.

EXACTLY!!! I have Replaced 4 HR24-500s (Owned) Internal Drives with 2 TB WD Drives with a Larger Cache and my Performance was Enhanced. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#463 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Users experience is different.

If you have, say, a stock HR20-700 and a HR20-700 with a 2TB Hard Drive the performance is dramatically different. The unit with the 2TB Hard Drive will take up to 15 minutes or so longer to boot.

Wrong. It boots up just as fast or faster.

If your hard drive is filled up with programming your response rates are different than if you have 90% free. If you have a 2TB with 10% free, you will really wait....wait.....wait issues.

We've recommended not going over 30% free for several years now. From that point on you will *probably* see slowdowns.

As thus, many can report their unit is fine - while others can report all kinds of issues - because of the number of programs on the dvr and the capacity of the Hard Drive.

Think that might be because some folks don't listen to those who have been down that road before?

Rich

#464 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

EXACTLY!!! I have Replaced 4 HR24-500s (Owned) Internal Drives with 2 TB WD Drives with a Larger Cache and my Performance was Enhanced. :D

Same thing happens when you put a 2TB in a 20-700. It just works better.

Rich

#465 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Same thing happens when you put a 2TB in a 20-700. It just works better.

Rich

Yeah - it typically comes down to using a cheapy drive and pray for the best or using a proper one with a good spin rate and larger cache size. Plopping in just any drive one finds on sale doesn't do the trick.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#466 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yeah - it typically comes down to using a cheapy drive and pray for the best or using a proper one with a good spin rate and larger cache size. Plopping in just any drive one finds on sale doesn't do the trick.

EXACTLY!!!

Put in a Better, Faster and More Efficient Drive with a Larger Cache and you will Achieve Better Performance!!!

It ain't Rocket Science and Lamelefty would agree!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#467 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

An update on the disconnecting from network and reseting the network settings as discussed below...

Made it 12 days this time... On Christmas eve I picked up the remote hit list and started scrolling down the list. On about the 4th line down it just stopped. The video/audio kept playing in the window but it wouldn't respond to any remote buttons or front panel buttons. The clock stuck at 11:44... I just let it sit and after 5 minutes it came back to life... Clock updated to 11:49 and some of the previous button pushes were executed.

During the 5 minute nap the receiver kept recording without a hitch.

About 20 minutes later the receiver started missing remote commands... I tried to get to 'reset' in the menu but finally just got frustrated and did a red-button-reboot. Hasn't had any trouble since but if I don't restart it I'm sure the same thing will happen January 3rd or so.....

I've moved the future SL recordings over to the other two DVRs - at least the ones I care about - but I still have a bunch of stuff to watch before I attempt to get them to replace it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I convince a CSR that I need to have the HR24 replaced? Also that it needs to be an HR24 and not anything else? I can give them the 'It just won't power up' story but I'd rather not. I guess either way once they get my flakey HR24 back they'll just turn it on, erase everything - test it for maybe 10 minutes (if that!) and call it good. Box it up and ship it out to some other poor sap that will think life is good for about 10 days or so... I wonder how many people will be tortured with this thing after I send it back?!:nono:

Mike, I can't remember, but I hope you've tried disconnecting from the Internet for a good long while and resetting all network defaults on all your machines and leaveit disconnected and seen if the problem goes away. 4 to 5 minutes just smells like something else is going on that none of us are seeing.

I haven't tried recently. I can disconnect the Internet permanently. I've only used 'on-demand' a few times because it is sooo slow.

In fact first thing in the morning before anything is recording I'll shut all three DVRs down, remove the Internet connection and then boot the receivers up one at a time.

It will be 10 or so days before I know if it improved but it is worth a shot.

Thanks.

I'd also make sure you restore all network defaults.

Yeah,at this point, what's the worst that could happen? :)

I have disconnected the Internet and reset the network connections on all three of my HR24-500s. We'll see if it makes a difference in about 10 days or so!

#468 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Mike, sign up for the Protection Plan if you don't already have it and you will get a Replacement HR24 for the HR24 that doesn't work.

And I would tell them that it is a dead unit because they will never know. It will just get sent to the Refurb Company and they will service it and send it back out to someone else.
Here's My Setup

#469 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

It is a shame that we can not call up the "Task Manager" and see what is actually happening to the receivers.
I know that this laptop I am on uses about 1.4 gig of ram with no programs open and running. When I close everything and it is around 2 gig it is time for a restart.

It sounds like Mike's machine is doing what my laptop does in the memory and when it gets all used up it just stops because it is out of memory then.
In that light I would wonder if clearing the NVRAM once a week would keep it going.

Having said all that, you should not have to put up with doing that all the time.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#470 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Mike, sign up for the Protection Plan if you don't already have it and you will get a Replacement HR24 for the HR24 that doesn't work.

And I would tell them that it is a dead unit because they will never know. It will just get sent to the Refurb Company and they will service it and send it back out to someone else.

Hey Richierich - What would the protection plan get me over not having it?

Telling them it is dead is likely the only way I guess...

That's the killer is that you know the refurb company is going to give it a clean bill of health and send it back out.... There is really no chance that they test the receivers for 10 or 11 days....

I feel the pain now that the next victim will feel shortly!:lol:

#471 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

It is a shame that we can not call up the "Task Manager" and see what is actually happening to the receivers.
I know that this laptop I am on uses about 1.4 gig of ram with no programs open and running. When I close everything and it is around 2 gig it is time for a restart.

It sounds like Mike's machine is doing what my laptop does in the memory and when it gets all used up it just stops because it is out of memory then.
In that light I would wonder if clearing the NVRAM once a week would keep it going.

Having said all that, you should not have to put up with doing that all the time.

Likely something like that but what I don't understand is why just this particular HR24-500? I have two others - one has had the problem but only twice in the last 4 or 5 months. The other has never stopped responding completely and I don't restart it on a regular basis. You would think a memory leak or other issue like that would show up on all of the HR24-500 running the same firmware. This particular HR24-500 is one of the early ones and the one I got first.... Maybe there is a hardware difference that is the root of the trouble...

I should have mentioned that I did go to channel 1 for a minute or two after it came back to life but then after the remote started flaking out again I went ahead with a RBR.

#472 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

An update on the disconnecting from network and reseting the network settings as discussed below...

Made it 12 days this time... On Christmas eve I picked up the remote hit list and started scrolling down the list. On about the 4th line down it just stopped. The video/audio kept playing in the window but it wouldn't respond to any remote buttons or front panel buttons. The clock stuck at 11:44... I just let it sit and after 5 minutes it came back to life... Clock updated to 11:49 and some of the previous button pushes were executed.

During the 5 minute nap the receiver kept recording without a hitch.

About 20 minutes later the receiver started missing remote commands... I tried to get to 'reset' in the menu but finally just got frustrated and did a red-button-reboot. Hasn't had any trouble since but if I don't restart it I'm sure the same thing will happen January 3rd or so.....

I've moved the future SL recordings over to the other two DVRs - at least the ones I care about - but I still have a bunch of stuff to watch before I attempt to get them to replace it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I convince a CSR that I need to have the HR24 replaced? Also that it needs to be an HR24 and not anything else? I can give them the 'It just won't power up' story but I'd rather not. I guess either way once they get my flakey HR24 back they'll just turn it on, erase everything - test it for maybe 10 minutes (if that!) and call it good. Box it up and ship it out to some other poor sap that will think life is good for about 10 days or so... I wonder how many people will be tortured with this thing after I send it back?!:nono:

They are supposed to give you a 24 for a 24. If they don't, get on the phone. Tell the truth, the HR doesn't respond to remote commands and the front panel does the same thing. The truth usually wins out. Trick is to get away from those NEW CSRs and get to a department like Retention, where they can do something besides telling you to reboot the thing.

Rich

#473 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Mike:
It could have a bad memory chip in it or similar item with a problem.

I am not sure the going to channel 1 for 30 seconds actually clears the memory. I have tried this a few times and it appears to me that doing the button press sequence does more good. However, mine don't have problems that cause a lot of problems so it is very difficult for me to say which is better.

I reset this HR23 after the new software was loaded on 12-12 and have not done anything to it since. No resets, clearing memory, etc.

We had a monitor at work years ago that gave a lot of problems and it was intermittent.
The secretary was going to water her flower one day. I set the flower on top of the monitor and she watered it. The flower pot had a hole in the bottom and several drops of water dropped into the monitor. Whoops, had to be replaced.
Don't do that to your receiver. It is dangerous to put water onto electronics for sure.
If somebody from DTV would just come read this thread and had a sense of decency they would send you another HR24.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#474 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hey Richierich - What would the protection plan get me over not having it?

With the Protection Plan they are obligated to Replace your HR24 with another HR24.

However, I have also heard that HR24s are Always Replaced with another HR24. It could be another Model such as an HR24-500 getting Replaced with an HR24-100 for instance.
Here's My Setup

#475 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Uh...sure...Ok.

Since multiple HD DVRs here and HD receivers simply don't have any significant impact or issues as you described for the end user experience in this household...and only a fraction of time is spent "directing" our HDTVs for scheduling and programming guide use...it's unfortunate your older device seem to have a problem.

That's not the case with HR24's or newer, which you referenced as well. As others have repeatedly point out...running jet fuel in an older car doesn't usually make it run faster. The same holds true for firmware.

Then why does Directv insist on putting the jet fuel in the old car? Just asking...

#476 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,923 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

With the Protection Plan they are obligated to Replace your HR24 with another HR24.

However, I have also heard that HR24s are Always Replaced with another HR24. It could be another Model such as an HR24-500 getting Replaced with an HR24-100 for instance.

There was recently someone here that had an HR24 replaced with an older model.

#477 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

They are supposed to give you a 24 for a 24. If they don't, get on the phone. Tell the truth, the HR doesn't respond to remote commands and the front panel does the same thing. The truth usually wins out. Trick is to get away from those NEW CSRs and get to a department like Retention, where they can do something besides telling you to reboot the thing.

Rich

Yikes - once we watch the recordings on that HR24 I'll call and hopefully they'll agree to replace it... If they send me anything other than an HR24 you all won't have to deal with me anymore! That will be the end of our relationship with DirecTV. I paid $600 to be rid of the old crap just so I could get the remotes to respond! I had to pay to fix their problem once and I won't be doing it again.

#478 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

That was posted by Kiseika on the Downgraded Replacement Receiver thread. His HR24-100 was replaced with a HR23-700. He reported that after contacting DirecTV they were sending him another HR24.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#479 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Yikes - once we watch the recordings on that HR24 I'll call and hopefully they'll agree to replace it... If they send me anything other than an HR24 you all won't have to deal with me anymore! That will be the end of our relationship with DirecTV. I paid $600 to be rid of the old crap just so I could get the remotes to respond! I had to pay to fix their problem once and I won't be doing it again.

I have to agree with you. I've had two HR20s and two HR21s. One of the 21s has been replaced with a 34 which has been a huge improvement. I've read how much better the 24s are as well. If I had to have another receiver replaced with anything but a 24 or 34 I'd be going to Dish or Comcast immediately. They really should be destroying those older ones as they come in.

#480 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Yup, I know that happens. That's why I've always recommended calling the installation contractor the night before or before they get the trucks loaded. Also why I've always recommended morning "windows", the earlier the better. I think the only way you can get something else for a 24 is if there is nothing but 21s on the trucks or you allow D* to mail them to you. As many 24s as I have returned, I've always gotten a 24 back. Can't speak for other parts of the country.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...