Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

They really should be destroying those older ones as they come in.

I agree and I have stated that many times in the past. Directv do the Right Thing and get rid of those underachieving DVRs and make your Customers Happy!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

My experience is at both ends of the spectrum.

Our HR20-700 has always been very responsive. Unfortunately, it's getting long in the tooth.

The HR21-100 is ridiculously UNresponsive. It takes up 5 minutes to respond to input from the remote. The same is true of the front panel controls. If it had been my first DirecTV box, I would have been long gone.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#483 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yes there is a Big Difference in the Responsiveness of an HR20 over an HR21 or HR23.

Just glad I have 5 HR24-500s and down the road I will Replace my 2 HR23-700s with HR24s or an HR34 with a Client.
Here's My Setup

#484 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I just received a "Come Back to Dish" promo in the mail today. I would normally not have even opened the thing but today... Hmmm... Now I'm beginning to think it may just be easier to try Dish Network again for a couple of years.... Maybe that will give DirecTV time to work on their firmware. It at least has me looking into the Dish forums here to see what kind of trouble people are having with Dish Network.

#485 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Mike, you just need to get Better Equipment.

I and many other of my friends here at DBSTALK have almost Zero Problems with our DVRs so unless you are just stuborn and enjoy your problems quit bitching and Upgrade Your Equipment as I have stated to you before.

I have had problems with 2 of my DVRs and got them replaced and since then I am happy and have No Reason To Bitch!!!

If you don't want to Replace your DVR which is a lot simpler than switching to Dish then Good Luck and I will see you when you RETURN to DIRECTV!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#486 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Mike, you just need to get Better Equipment.

I and many other of my friends here at DBSTALK have almost Zero Problems with our DVRs so unless you are just stuborn and enjoy your problems quit bitching and Upgrade Your Equipment as I have stated to you before.

I have had problems with 2 of my DVRs and got them replaced and since then I am happy and have No Reason To Bitch!!!

If you don't want to Replace your DVR which is a lot simpler than switching to Dish then Good Luck and I will see you when you RETURN to DIRECTV!!! :)

I paid $600 to 'upgrade' my equipment and it was mostly fine until the HDGUI update. Whatever comes out next may be fine - at least until they 'update' something and start the cycle over again. Just a little venting....

By 'upgrade' do you mean get an HR34? I see way to many problems with those - even after a year... No thanks there.

I may not switch - At this point maybe it is time to quit over-paying for nothing to watch.

It is just TV! Not like we 'need' it and its high-price and troubles....

I only posted because I received the 'come back' offer and I don't really want to have to play csr-roulette or flat out lie to get the most troublesome HR24 replaced.... And hope they don't down-grade me to an HR22 POS again. I guess I could let that be the deciding factor...

It's just getting to the point that pay-tv is more trouble than it's worth.....

#487 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

What I am saying is with the Protection Plan you are Guaranteed to have an HR24 Replaced with another HR24 (might be a different Model but it will be an HR24).

Or you can go thru the Hassle of switching to another Provider such as Dish and then having to replace dishes and cabling and that to me just is not worth it when you could just simply do as I and others have suggested and tell Directv you want another Replacement DVR!!! End Of Story!!!
Here's My Setup

#488 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

What I am saying is with the Protection Plan you are Guaranteed to have an HR24 Replaced with another HR24 (might be a different Model but it will be an HR24).

The Protection Plan literally makes no such guarantees.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#489 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

The Protection Plan literally makes no such guarantees.

Here again....a Dish subscriber chimes in with misinformation. :rolleyes:

For owned hardware...yes...the same model or newer is provided as replacement hardware. We've actually seen a number of customers experience and post on that very experience.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 28 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#490 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

By 'upgrade' do you mean get an HR34? I see way to many problems with those - even after a year... No thanks there.

Here's my thoughts for what's it worth...

I suspect most forums are biased to the "problems side" of the equation. If things are working great, you may not be inclined to post that. However, if you have problems, you're always looking for help. My neighbor has the Hopper and said he's ready to throw it out into the street. But I bet there are a lot of happy Hopper and HR34 users. That's not saying DTV doesn't have some work to do. They drive me crazy at times with their changes but I wonder if the Dish design team is any better.

But I'll agree with one thought, my DTV receivers appear slow compared to what I have seen on Dish. DTV has to focus on resolving this issue and quickly.

#491 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Here's my thoughts for what's it worth...

I suspect most forums are biased to the "problems side" of the equation. If things are working great, you may not be inclined to post that. However, if you have problems, you're always looking for help. My neighbor has the Hopper and said he's ready to throw it out into the street. But I bet there are a lot of happy Hopper and HR34 users. That's not saying DTV doesn't have some work to do. They drive me crazy at times with their changes but I wonder if the Dish design team is any better.

That's actually a great post. :up:

#492 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

For owned hardware...yes...the same model or newer is provided as replacement hardware. We've actually seen a number of customers experience and post on that very experience.

Mine are not owned - so I guess that doesn't apply to me.:(

#493 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

That's actually a great post. :up:

That is a great post! Including the line you didn't quote!:lol:

I've been reading the Dish forums and they are also full of complaints.....

Looks like we need the 'speed' of Dish Network Engineers with the 'features' of DirecTV engineers.

#494 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

That is a great post! Including the line you didn't quote!:lol:

I've been reading the Dish forums and they are also full of complaints.....

Looks like we need the 'speed' of Dish Network Engineers with the 'features' of DirecTV engineers.

Not so sure about that Mike.

In all honesty, my 3 HD DVRs that are all HR24 or newer models here all perform quite fast.

That said, there have been times in the past where this was not the case when the firmware was maturing and/or they added functionality. There's also little doubt that the User Interface is not "peaked" yet on all HD DVR models. Speed improvements still need to happen so this is more uniform across all model devices.

At times in the past having read some of your posts in the past, I also wondered if they had some "special" HD DVRs just made especially for you. ;):D

But seriously...

There are a number of things that impact performance as others have pointed out - beyond just a firmware version:

1) How does someone have their DVR devices configured? (There are numerous things that impact performance - just one example - if you select all channels, Channels I get, or custom channels you identify - these changes the scope of search within the favorites setting, and may impact guide performance somewhat. There are also literally thousands of potential setting combinations, so of which are known to slow things down in the UI. I've seen more people shoot themselves in the foot on settings than almost any other item when it comes to performance.)

2) Is someone using the "stock" hard drive in the device, an eSata setup, or something else (for owned hardware)? We've seen various posts where people indicate slow WHDS/MRV viewing, only to learn later those same folks installed cheap hard drives w/slow read-write speeds and small memory caches. These slow down the viewing experience. There's a new generation of hardware for the past 12-18 months for HDD's specifically designed for HD DVRs, and these are found in the newer DirecTV models - these make a difference.

3) DECA/Internet connections - routers, DECA connections, and network speed. As more and more of the viewer experience is "connected" - the dependence on adequate network speed grows. The DECA infrastructure helps a great deal in this regard. Also, router and network speed impact things to a degree as well.

Last but not least...as you also said...it's important to note that folks can read just as many posts in the Dish threads about performance and hardware as in the DirecTV threads - sometimes more of them. I contend that not all "boxes" are identical in build quality. That's true for almost any technology. If someone gets a "bad one", they should insist on a replacement.

Here's to wishing you improved results soon... :goodjob:

#495 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Last but not least...as you also said...it's important to note that folks can read just as many posts in the Dish threads about performance and hardware as in the DirecTV threads - sometimes more of them. I contend that not all "boxes" are identical in build quality. That's true for almost any technology. If someone gets a "bad one", they should insist on a replacement.

As a former DirecTV customer who "enjoyed" a 2-year contract stuck with an HR22-100, I check back in occasionally to see if my reasons for leaving DirecTV have been resolved. Threads like this convince me that they have not.

I've been pretty vocal about my problems with the Hopper. But most of those problems are minor, and they have been resolved within a week or so with a new firmware update. Yes, that's right - no living for months with a non-responsive unit and promises that "the next firmware release will fix this problem." I've gotten direct contact from Dish team members to help me with my issues that I've posted on DBSTalk, and all those issues have been resolved in a timely manner.

I know some of you are going to complain, "What's a Dish customer doing reading DirecTV forums?" And to be honest, in some ways, I miss DirecTV. I think DirecTV has slightly better HD picture quality. I like that DirecTV's OTA tuner has 2 tuners instead of one. And I like the fact that if you play "catchup" with a program while it's being recorded, the DVR remembers where you stopped when you come back later (there's a workaround for that issue, but it's one I sometimes forget until it's too late.) And DirecTV hits my email inbox at least once a day with promises to "make it right" if I'll just come back.

The grass isn't greener over at Dish, but it's a different shade of green, and some people will prefer one shade over the other.

#496 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

There are a number of things that impact performance as others have pointed out - beyond just a firmware version:

1) How does someone have their DVR devices configured? (There are numerous things that impact performance - just one example - if you select all channels, Channels I get, or custom channels you identify - these changes the scope of search within the favorites setting, and may impact guide performance somewhat. There are also literally thousands of potential setting combinations, so of which are known to slow things down in the UI. I've seen more people shoot themselves in the foot on settings than almost any other item when it comes to performance.)

Very Interesting. I didn't know that.

hdtvfan0001--Are the configurations which impactspeed documented aware?

#497 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

As a former DirecTV customer who "enjoyed" a 2-year contract stuck with an HR22-100, I check back in occasionally to see if my reasons for leaving DirecTV have been resolved. Threads like this convince me that they have not.

I suspect you'd find a much better experience with the newer HD DVRs in the DirecTV suite than the HR22. Things have advanced on several fronts.

That's not to say everything is perfect, but likely improved.

#498 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

It seems like much (if not most) of the misinformation regarding DIRECTV comes from DIRECTV subscribers so I'm not surprised by your retort.

For your edification, here is the pertinent text of the DIRECTV Protection Plan terms:

Equipment Replacement and Repair: At our option, we may repair or replace a remote control or receiver by utilizing shipping and delivery services at our expense. If we determine a replacement receiver is required, we will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features to the location where you receive DIRECTV programming. We will also provide for return shipping of the defective unit. Should you fail to return the defective unit, charges for the unreturned unit will apply.

There is literally no mention of model numbers in the entire document.

What DIRECTV does (or doesn't do) in practice is a whole other can of worms but guaranteeing an HR24 replaces an HR24 is not something the Protection Plan does.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#499 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

hdtvfan0001--Are the configurations which impact speed documented aware?

Not really...since the User Interface and other firmware changes are made...they can change as well. But some are somewhat intuitive.

For example...if you ask the HD DVR to look up your guide containing "favorites" containing a custom (and smaller) list that doesn't include all the channels...it's less work for the DVR to load and present them on the screen.

Also, if you select "native" for the HD resolution instead of a pre-assigned setting...then then DVR doesn't need to adjust for channel-specific-settings when you happen to change channels.

Since both of those are user configuration preferences...it's up to the end user how they want those things set up.

The key point is that configuration choices can impact the viewing experience.

#500 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

My experience is at both ends of the spectrum.

Our HR20-700 has always been very responsive. Unfortunately, it's getting long in the tooth.

The HR21-100 is ridiculously UNresponsive. It takes up 5 minutes to respond to input from the remote. The same is true of the front panel controls. If it had been my first DirecTV box, I would have been long gone.

I was playing with one of my three 20-700s yesterday and it's still as responsive as it always was. The problem you'll probably see with the 20-700 will be the internal drive's demise. Simply stick an eSATA on it and it will probably go right back to being responsive.

The 21-100 is one of the worst of the HRs, certainly the worst of the 21 series. Why not step up to a 24? Even the 24-100 works well and I swore years ago that I would never have another -100 in my home. I've got 3 of them now and I'm amazed at how well they perform.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...