Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#521 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

It wasn't, but just to the nature of this thread.

Very much agree there! But I think it is better to keep the tail chasing and running in circles in this thread rather than multiple threads. Sometimes I forget which round I'm in...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,097 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

What would you guys do without me!?:lol:

Miss your ungodly patience? Seriously, I'm sure most who know you would agree with me, you would be missed.

Rich

#523 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,020 posts

It wasn't, but just to the nature of this thread.

Posted Image

I had no problem whatsoever imagining that as a Beagle. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#524 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Right on both counts.

You know we love ya! :)

Even better...we love a happy Mike. ;)

I think you may have me confused with someone else!:lol:

#525 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Miss your ungodly patience? Seriously, I'm sure most who know you would agree with me, you would be missed.

Rich

I'm not so sure about that but thanks anyway! :D

#526 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

You and a small handful of people are convinced that the HD guide kiboshed just about everything speed wise. Yet thousands of others here aren't of the same opinion. Perhaps something else is tinting your glasses??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#527 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

They have told me (well, the CMG has told me, I can't take the NEW CSRs that do the PP now) that every effort will be made to provide a PP member with a 24 when a 24 goes bad. Retention has told me the same thing. And, every time I've had a 24 go bad, I've gotten a 24 as a replacement.
Rich

That is what I have heard from more than one Directv Employee!!! Directv Replaces HR24s with another HR24 Model which may not be the exact same Model but it Will be an HR24. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#528 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Why did you put up with a 22 for that long?

Well, there were a couple of reasons. First, the problems came and went with firmware releases. At times, it was okay (not great, but survivable.) At times, it was awful (not survivable, not tolerable, quite frankly maddening.) And investigating forums told me a few things:

1) My problems were not hardware related, but firmware related. And there was always the promise of the "next" firmware release being the one that was going to fix it. I waited with baited breath for the HD GUI, in hopes it would finally make the DVR respond, but alas it only made things worse.

2) I was under contract, and DirecTV had no reason to offer to replace a functioning DVR.

3) DirecTV could not and would not guarantee me a specific model number (even series) if I asked for a replacement. They could guarantee me that, even if I got another HR22-100, I would be under a new 24-month commitment. Even customer retention told me as much.

4) The only way to get a choice in receiver model would be to buy one over the Internet. I looked seriously at paying $200 for an HR24. But after the HD GUI came out, even HR24 owners complained about slow response at times, and it left me feeling like I was playing roulette.

In the end, I decided that switching to Dish would accomplish several things. First, it gave me two channels I watched in HD, which DirecTV didn't carry in HD at the time. Second, it would save me about $240 in programming costs during the promotional period. Third, it would save me that $200 purchase price on a receiver that might or might not resolve my issues.

$440 was too much to spend on a gamble. I switched to Dish and have been very satisfied with my decision, minus a few minor quibbles.

#529 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

They have told me (well, the CMG has told me, I can't take the NEW CSRs that do the PP now) that every effort will be made to provide a PP member with a 24 when a 24 goes bad. Retention has told me the same thing. And, every time I've had a 24 go bad, I've gotten a 24 as a replacement.

Rich

Well, maybe you don't talk to DIRECTV® CSR's as often as harsh does?? :eek2:

:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#530 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm not so sure about that but thanks anyway! :D

I would do whatever it takes to replace your defective DVR with an HR24 (even if you had to buy one yourself on Ebay) and be done with it.

I couldn't imagine replacing all of my Directv Equipment with Dish Equipment even if it was Free as it would be an enormous hassle.

Don't tell Directv but I am in Bed with them for Life!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#531 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have seen somewhere around 30 HR receivers at friends, retail stores and even a couple of dealers that have both DirecTV and Dish equipment side-by-side. I have never seen ANY DirecTV DVR as fast as ANY Dish Network DVR period. My HR24-500s came close, in fact, close enough to Dish Network speed. That is until the HD GUI 'upgrade'. Navigation and response is now back to the sometimes ok - sometimes not ok with my two working HR24s... But still much better than the complete trash I had with the HR22s....

After reading about all the speed issues and that the Dish receiver is faster, my question is does DTV know the problem with their receivers? Or does DTV even consider this a problem? I would hope they have been comparing the Dish systems side-by-side with their own and trying to overcome any competitive disadvantages.
If the HDGUI is a major source of the slow response, I would be willing to go back. However, I think I remember my HR22 was slow before the GUI was changed.
I just hope DTV knows slow response is an issue with its users and is intent on doing something about it.

#532 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Why did you put up with a 22 for that long? Rich

My wife has had her HR21 for over 4 years and there is no way she'll let me change it out HR 24 or not. She feels comfortable with her 21 and has it programmed the way she likes it.

#533 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

You and a small handful of people are convinced that the HD guide kiboshed just about everything speed wise. Yet thousands of others here aren't of the same opinion. Perhaps something else is tinting your glasses??

I assume you are referring to my post? I wouldn't say 'kyboshed just about everything speed wise' but it knock it down noticeably - to me at least. There are hundreds of thousands using HR21s,22s and 23s that don't notice how painfully slow their DVRs. I wouldn't expect them to notice the decrease in speed that came with the HD GUI either.

It is kind of like before the HR24 came out - some said their HR20/21/22/23s were not 'slow' and then many of them were praising the speed increase of the HR24. What gives there? I suspect they either had 'tinting glasses' or they just didn't know what they were missing.... On the other hand - I do know what I'm missing!:)

#534 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I would do whatever it takes to replace your defective DVR with an HR24 (even if you had to buy one yourself on Ebay) and be done with it.

I couldn't imagine replacing all of my Directv Equipment with Dish Equipment even if it was Free as it would be an enormous hassle.

Don't tell Directv but I am in Bed with them for Life!!! :lol:

Ha! I paid for 3 HR24s to be rid of the slowness but got at least some of that slowness back with the HD GUI. Still much better on the HR24 than my old HR22s were.

I will be having them replace my most troubled HR24 as soon as we watch all the recordings on it.. That may take another month....

My house is wired in such a way that I could switch to Dish with very little trouble - not that I want to switch.

I'm pretty sure DirecTV knows you share a bed with them!:lol:

#535 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I just hope DTV knows slow response is an issue with its users and is intent on doing something about it.

DirecTV knows. I told them. Others have told them. I can only conclude that either they don't care, or they are unable to fix the problem. Given the length of time they've had to solve this issue - over two years - I'm leaning heavily towards the former.

#536 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

After reading about all the speed issues and that the Dish receiver is faster, my question is does DTV know the problem with their receivers? Or does DTV even consider this a problem? I would hope they have been comparing the Dish systems side-by-side with their own and trying to overcome any competitive disadvantages.
If the HDGUI is a major source of the slow response, I would be willing to go back. However, I think I remember my HR22 was slow before the GUI was changed.

I'm sure that DirecTV management knows that they have issues but I seriously doubt that it is much of a priority. If their typical customers started switching providers or at least complaining about it that would be a different story. Sadly, they seem to have a pretty low bar when it comes to the speed of their DVRs.

Look at the HR34 - most of the posts I've read seem to indicate that the HR34 is 'a little slower' than the HR24. That seems to indicate they plan on keeping the performance bar pretty low. If they planned on a change you'd expect it to be with their newest DVR.

Sadly - the HDGUI wasn't optional - not sure why they bothered with it but you can't go back. The sad thing is it didn't really give us anything but it did seem to slow things down (at least on the HR24) and messed up the SD outputs....

#537 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

DirecTV knows. I told them. Others have told them. I can only conclude that either they don't care, or they are unable to fix the problem. Given the length of time they've had to solve this issue - over two years - I'm leaning heavily towards the former.

I agree to a point. I'm not sure that they 'don't care'. I'm sure they'd rather have DVRs that are as fast as Dish Networks but don't consider it a priority and aren't willing to spend what it would take to resolve the troubles.

It is more like 6 years - when the HR20 came out it was slower than Dish Network DVRs way back then.....

#538 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure DirecTV knows you share a bed with them!:lol:

Yes, Directv probably does each month when they send me my Bill and receive my check.

I guess all Addictions Cost A Lot of Money!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#539 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm sure they'd rather have DVRs that are as fast as Dish Networks but don't consider it a priority and aren't willing to spend what it would take to resolve the troubles.

This is my take on it also.

They care but not enough to Replace all Legacy HR2X DVRs with HR24s or HR34s so they are just going to ride it out while figuring they will have some Churn but not enough to make that big a difference in their Revenue Stream.
Here's My Setup

#540 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Wrong. It boots up just as fast or faster.

I have 2 here - 1 HR20-700 stock and one with the Holy Grail WD 2TB Hard Drive.

You care to put a wager on that statement, as apparently the HR20 does a Hard Drive test on boot up.

Furthermore, the more programs on your unit, the more processing it takes to sort when you hit the playlist. The older HR2x were not meant to perform this type of processing needed with large multiterrabyte drives and thus this slows down response a great deal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...