Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

You and a small handful of people are convinced that the HD guide kiboshed just about everything speed wise. Yet thousands of others here aren't of the same opinion. Perhaps something else is tinting your glasses??

Who's "You"? I think it did us more harm than good. When it's finally fixed, and I'm sure it will be, it will be nice to go back to the same speed we had with the SD Guide. I don't think it slowed down any of my HRs as far as watching programs, but when you get to certain spots, like deleting 100 episodes, it does take much longer than the SD Guide did. I get to my Setting easily on every one of my HRs. I don't channel surf because I rarely watch live TV, so I don't care how long it takes to change channels.

What we have in this thread is a failure to communicate. For instance, which part of your DVR experience is actually "slow"? I don't see any slowness in any of my HRs when using them to view content. The only real slowness I see is what I mentioned above.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well, there were a couple of reasons. First, the problems came and went with firmware releases. At times, it was okay (not great, but survivable.) At times, it was awful (not survivable, not tolerable, quite frankly maddening.) And investigating forums told me a few things:

1) My problems were not hardware related, but firmware related. And there was always the promise of the "next" firmware release being the one that was going to fix it. I waited with baited breath for the HD GUI, in hopes it would finally make the DVR respond, but alas it only made things worse.

2) I was under contract, and DirecTV had no reason to offer to replace a functioning DVR.

3) DirecTV could not and would not guarantee me a specific model number (even series) if I asked for a replacement. They could guarantee me that, even if I got another HR22-100, I would be under a new 24-month commitment. Even customer retention told me as much.

4) The only way to get a choice in receiver model would be to buy one over the Internet. I looked seriously at paying $200 for an HR24. But after the HD GUI came out, even HR24 owners complained about slow response at times, and it left me feeling like I was playing roulette.

In the end, I decided that switching to Dish would accomplish several things. First, it gave me two channels I watched in HD, which DirecTV didn't carry in HD at the time. Second, it would save me about $240 in programming costs during the promotional period. Third, it would save me that $200 purchase price on a receiver that might or might not resolve my issues.

$440 was too much to spend on a gamble. I switched to Dish and have been very satisfied with my decision, minus a few minor quibbles.

Good post. I would have found a way to get rid of that 22. Had you PM'd me, I would have shared that knowledge with you. To judge D*'s service on that 22 is wrong, but I understand how you feel.

Rich

#543 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well, maybe you don't talk to DIRECTV® CSR's as often as harsh does?? :eek2:

:D

I don't talk to any D* CSRs, except for the ACT, if I can avoid it. If I need something fixed, I come here second. My first act is a PM to the Man.

Rich

#544 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have 2 here - 1 HR20-700 stock and one with the Holy Grail WD 2TB Hard Drive.

You care to put a wager on that statement, as apparently the HR20 does a Hard Drive test on boot up.

Having had more 20-700s than most folks on the forum, I'd say anybody would be lucky to have some that still work properly. I have 3 left that do work just as they did when I purchased them (I bought 6 of them on eBay and CL because I couldn't put up with D*'s pitiful replacements). Those 6 cost me, after buying access cards and 2TB drives, between $2,000 and $3,000. I've already put my money where my mouth is. I don't wager on anything anymore, another addiction I've overcome.

Furthermore, the more programs on your unit, the more processing it takes to sort when you hit the playlist. The older HR2x were not meant to perform this type of processing needed with large multiterrabyte drives and thus this slows down response a great deal.

My UPL pops up on every one of my HRs just fine. I see little difference between my 3 HR20-700s or my 9 HR24s when it comes to the Playlist, which is rather massive.

Remember, I'm not comparing any of the 21 series HRs, all I have are the best HRs that D* has made, in my opinion.

Rich

#545 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

You and a small handful of people are convinced that the HD guide kiboshed just about everything speed wise. Yet thousands of others here aren't of the same opinion. Perhaps something else is tinting your glasses??

Hmm, I thought everyone was in agreement that the HD guide slowed down the receivers - it's just that the degree of slowdown varies.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...