Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Modifying one's expectations downward does not address the question of how to improve performance.

As DIRECTV has decided that performance is not an issue (and they're supported by legions of apologists that testify regularly that it isn't), the best next options are to reward them with lots of your money (an amount approximately the cost of a 18-24 month ETF) to lease equipment that is currently performing better or seek services elsewhere.

Speed is relavent.
For instance, the difference in the time it takes to change channels between a HD DVR and an HD receiver.
How long is that ?
What would we do with that bit of time if we had it change instantaneous ?
Would we get up out of our recliner and go play a game, have a meal, enjoy the company of a lady. Nope, not enough time to really count.
OK, let's say that we had instant channel changes. I could go around the guide a few more times per day. Did that get me more or better programming ? No. Did that get me enough time to complete any task ? No.
Did it let me go make any more money. No.

What did the speed up of the receiver get me ? Nothing, other than the fact that I can now look and say "Wow, that changes channels fast". Whooopeeee.

If you do not like the system and have left it, why are you here ?
Are you looking for help ?
Are you trying to help others ?

I am here to learn and to try to help others with some minor problems that can be changed with settings, etc.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Speed is relevant.

It's Harsh that isn't. :lol:

You're having a discussion with a Dish sub, about DirecTV :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   stroh

stroh

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well it's been about 8 hours since the install. Been playing with it quite a bit waiting for guide data so I can reenter my season passes. Everything seems great. Fast, responsive, no problems... yet.

Odd change from previous installs, installer did not arrive in DTV vehicle but in his own. I was a little leery but the installer ended up being great. Not only did a clean job, cleaning up after himself, he cleaned up some rats nest accumulated from previous installers. Calls from both installers supervisor and DTV to make sure everything was satisfactory.

My install:

Roof:
Existing dish, new LNB (SWM-8?)
One coax going through grounding block then inside attic to Power Inserter.

Attic:
Power Inserter powered from outlet in attic. One coax to dish, one to splitter.
Splitter with single coax split to my original four, two to each room.

Living room:
HMC Genie (HR34-700, 0x5d3 installed immediately) (one coax line)
CCK connected to wired ethernet (one coax line)

Office:
Genie Client (C31/700) (one coax line used, one not used)

Couple of questions:
1) Going to Settings/Whole-Home/Status shows Whole-Home DVR: Not Authorized. I'm assuming I don't need this with the setup I have since the client is playing off the HR34 without a problem and I don't have any other DVRs.

2) Do I need the CCK? I have wired ethernet at both locations. I see conflicting information online about whether or not to leave it. Everything seems to be working fine. VOD, updates, shows internet connected. Are there any pros or cons regarding direct ethernet vs CCK?

#44 OFFLINE   Marcus Welby

Marcus Welby

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

I feel like at times I can see temporary slow downs in responses that could be attributed to stuff downloading that I do not want, like all the instant play movies and banners telling me to record this or that.

I can tell you that this is indeed an issue. While scrolling through the channel guide, it will always freeze up on any guide page that contains one or more banners of the specific type that say "Press SELECT to Watch Now" (there are a couple of other banner ad types that don't have any issues). You can verify that it's not a remote problem because the program description at the top will be stuck on the program info for the show that was highlighted on the PREVIOUS page. It can take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds for the description to change to what is highlighted on the CURRENT page. Once it does, the receiver becomes responsive again. This is totally consistent and repeatable on my HR20.

#45 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Do you need it in your case? Not really but you would be deviating from a standard install forcing a CSR support session off the scripts. If it is working as it should why change it to something that will complicate support calls?

Don "food for thought or ignoring as you see fit" Bolton

Well it's been about 8 hours since the install. Been playing with it quite a bit waiting for guide data so I can reenter my season passes. Everything seems great. Fast, responsive, no problems... yet.

Odd change from previous installs, installer did not arrive in DTV vehicle but in his own. I was a little leery but the installer ended up being great. Not only did a clean job, cleaning up after himself, he cleaned up some rats nest accumulated from previous installers. Calls from both installers supervisor and DTV to make sure everything was satisfactory.

My install:

Roof:
Existing dish, new LNB (SWM-8?)
One coax going through grounding block then inside attic to Power Inserter.

Attic:
Power Inserter powered from outlet in attic. One coax to dish, one to splitter.
Splitter with single coax split to my original four, two to each room.

Living room:
HMC Genie (HR34-700, 0x5d3 installed immediately) (one coax line)
CCK connected to wired ethernet (one coax line)

Office:
Genie Client (C31/700) (one coax line used, one not used)

Couple of questions:
1) Going to Settings/Whole-Home/Status shows Whole-Home DVR: Not Authorized. I'm assuming I don't need this with the setup I have since the client is playing off the HR34 without a problem and I don't have any other DVRs.

2) Do I need the CCK? I have wired ethernet at both locations. I see conflicting information online about whether or not to leave it. Everything seems to be working fine. VOD, updates, shows internet connected. Are there any pros or cons regarding direct ethernet vs CCK?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#46 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have been reading this thread and am amazed at the raw emotion expressed over performance and the fact the he provider "owes" us new and better equipment.

Fact is they are improving the hardware on a regular basis. Certainly many of the improvements are features to generate new or improve existing revenue streams but that is what a business must do in order to survive. As is cost containment. Simply replacing old equipment with new every time someone gets a bug up their behee would end up yet another reason to up our already high prices.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the process for clearing NVRAM. On the channels where you can use the red button for scoreboard this can feed a memory issue that in fact does manifest itself as slowing down the machine. I have not seen this mentioned for almost a year now sp maybe it has been rectified or just forgotten.

But if you are a sports junkie perhaps this may help.

To try this change to channel 1, go ahead get a cup of beverage while it fully tunes in ;)

Then on the remote press red, red, blue, blue, yellow, green

You should then see a notice in the lower portion of the screen that NVRAM is cleared.

See if that helps things, it may or may not.

Yes the code shouldn't get one into such a place where this happens. But runtime interpreted code has complexities in memory management native to the code runner and difficult if not impossible to control by the coders. You encounter the same issues with many websites. Even occasionally this one actually.

Don "you may resume your emotional state now;)" Bolton

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

VOS has told us its being on channel 1 long enough, not the button sequence that makes the difference.

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the process for clearing NVRAM. On the channels where you can use the red button for scoreboard this can feed a memory issue that in fact does manifest itself as slowing down the machine. I have not seen this mentioned for almost a year now sp maybe it has been rectified or just forgotten.

This turned out to be somewhat of a myth. What did make the change was tuning to channel one for 30 sec.
The pressing of the colored buttons, merely had you there for 30 sec or more.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Well then that explains why I haven't seen it mentioned for awhile:lol:

So go to channel one and park for a minute, refresh the beverage, make room for another. Got it!

Don "so my outdated post still had value, I learned something:grin:" Bolton

This turned out to be somewhat of a myth. What did make the change was tuning to channel one for 30 sec.
The pressing of the colored buttons, merely had you there for 30 sec or more.

#50 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Modifying one's expectations downward does not address the question of how to improve performance.

But lowering expectations is the only real fix when it comes to DirecTV receivers - if you want to continue subscribing to DirecTV that is....

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Speed is relavent.
For instance, the difference in the time it takes to change channels between a HD DVR and an HD receiver.
How long is that ?
What would we do with that bit of time if we had it change instantaneous ?
Would we get up out of our recliner and go play a game, have a meal, enjoy the company of a lady. Nope, not enough time to really count.
OK, let's say that we had instant channel changes. I could go around the guide a few more times per day. Did that get me more or better programming ? No. Did that get me enough time to complete any task ? No.
Did it let me go make any more money. No.

What did the speed up of the receiver get me ? Nothing, other than the fact that I can now look and say "Wow, that changes channels fast". Whooopeeee.

If you do not like the system and have left it, why are you here ?
Are you looking for help ?
Are you trying to help others ?

I am here to learn and to try to help others with some minor problems that can be changed with settings, etc.

I personally don't care so much about the slow channel changes. I rarely watch live TV. I know some do and for channel surfers the HR series is certainly not going to make you happy.

I do care about inconsistent scrolling through the guide and menus and the delay of acting on remote button pushes etc. The complete 30+ second lockups are also rather annoying!

I do appreciate your willingness to jump in and help!

#52 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well it's been about 8 hours since the install. Been playing with it quite a bit waiting for guide data so I can reenter my season passes. Everything seems great. Fast, responsive, no problems... yet.?

Glad to hear the install went well and so far so good.

Keep us posted on how it performs over the next couple of weeks.

#53 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

It is also possible that the remote is just worn out.

This was my issue. I "noticed" that my HR20 was not responding to remote commands, but it just happened that those commands were the play, pause and FF :D. Replaced the remote and issues went away. Well, the responding to the remote issues :D.

#54 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I personally don't care so much about the slow channel changes. I rarely watch live TV. I know some do and for channel surfers the HR series is certainly not going to make you happy.

I do care about inconsistent scrolling through the guide and menus and the delay of acting on remote button pushes etc. The complete 30+ second lockups are also rather annoying!

I do appreciate your willingness to jump in and help!

Thanks, I like helping when I can.

Lockups and 30 second channel changes should not be happening.
What all have you tried to remedy your problems ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#55 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have been reading this thread and am amazed at the raw emotion expressed over performance and the fact the he provider "owes" us new and better equipment.

I think DirecTV does 'owe' me equipment that works. I paid $600 to get 3 HR24-500s that worked pretty well until they messed them up with the HDGUI. Why should I be out the $600 I paid to get HD DVRs that responded to the remote etc?

Are you suggesting that I should expect to pay $600 every year or two to keep up with DirecTVs software engineers? Maybe I should say lack of software engineers?

There is no amount of money I can pay to get back to the performance of my pre-HDGUI HR24s is there? From all appearances the HR34 also suffers from similar response issues. Maybe they'll fix them because the HR34 is still pretty young but they never did fix the HR20/21/22 or 23 so why should we expect anything different?

I should just be happy that the $600 I paid to get responsive DVRs was only a temporary fix?

So many questions.... So few answers!:rolleyes:

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Dr. Welby, and others: Many folks circumvent this via custom channel guides.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Mr. Greer-

IIRC I've said this to you before: If you have three HR24s and they are all acting bad, it's most likely you use them in a manner different from the rest of us, or something. Perhaps one is bad and you're projecting? Perhaps the batteries have all worn down the same? Many more perhapses.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, I like helping when I can.

Lockups and 30 second channel changes should not be happening.
What all have you tried to remedy your problems ?

I've tried just about everything I think... Including your suggestions.

#59 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I've tried just about everything I think... Including your suggestions.

OK

#60 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Mr. Greer-

IIRC I've said this to you before: If you have three HR24s and they are all acting bad, it's most likely you use them in a manner different from the rest of us, or something. Perhaps one is bad and you're projecting? Perhaps the batteries have all worn down the same? Many more perhapses.....

When I first got them to replace my HR22s they all acted about the same except for the caller ID which has always been screwy.

When the HDGUI came along they all went downhill but they don't all behave the same way. One of them, the one I use the least, is more responsive than the others. It will still occasionally miss a remote command and is painfully slow navigating through the guide and menus but not too big of a deal.

The one I use the most I have to restart every week or two or it will start going unresponsive out of the blue. Once in a while I'll FFWD and it will start to FFWD but then I can't stop it. The receiver completely ignores ALL remote AND front panel button pushes for 30 seconds up to 3 or 4 minutes. It will then go back to normal. If I keep pushing buttons while it is out-to-lunch at least some of the button pushes are acted on when it comes back. The onscreen clock also stops.

This trouble is not the remote or anything to do with the remote because the clock stops and the buttons on the front panel also do nothing.

The third HR24 will do this once in a while but nowhere near as much.

Neither of them do it as long as I remember to restart them - I've been doing that on Sundays and that at least keeps them from losing it completely. Doesn't do anything to speed up scrolling through the menus.

Bottom line as I said earlier in this thread.... If you want to use DirecTV you just have be able to get past these kinds of troubles. Pretty pathetic because before they forced the HDGUI (that really doesn't give us anything) on all of us life was pretty good with all three of my HR24s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...