Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Scrolling thru the menu / Guide should be very fast if you have turned the scrolling feature to OFF.
Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences, Scrolling Effects : OFF.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Scrolling thru the menu / Guide should be very fast if you have turned the scrolling feature to OFF.

Yep - its off.

Part of the trouble may be what you consider 'very fast' and what I consider 'very slow' could be the same speed!

I used to have Comcast and their Motorola DVR was/is horribly slow - I mean painfully awfully slow. It was still usable because it was very consistent and never missed remote buttons etc. You knew what to expect and always did its thing - just slow slow slow.

Then I had Dish Network and their receivers are FAST! I used Dish for years with 622 receivers. Lightening speed all the time no matter what - even when recording two satellite channels and 1 over-the-air channel and scrolling through the guide. The 622 is a receiver from back in the days of the HR20 and is still much much quicker than an HR24 even before HDGUI fiasco.

If I had gone from the Comcast Motorola DVR straight to the HRs from DirecTV I would still be annoyed by the missed remote commands and the inconsistent speed... But I probably wouldn't call them 'slow'.

Basically using Dish Networks lightning fast DVRS made switching to DirecTV quite the painful slowdown that I still have problems with today. I was mostly content with the HR24s before they slowed them down with HDGUI.

There is an independent satellite reseller not too far from me that has an HR24 and a Dish network 722k sitting side-by-side. Moving around the menus and scrolling through the guide is multiple times faster and smoother on 722k. The saddest thing of all is the guide from Dish Network has much more information on the screen at once... You'd expect it to be slower not much quicker.

#63 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 153 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

+1 I did this on all my receivers and although only a small improvement was noted, it was an improvement nonetheless.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#64 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I appreciate all of where you have been but that does not help.

You have turned the scrolling to OFF. That is good.

My HR23 speed: Press button for guide until guide is on the screen, 2 seconds.
Scroll the guide thru all 84 channels in my Favorites list, 6 seconds. I can not read it when it is moving this fast. What I do is use the channel up or down button and jump a screen at a time until I get in the area I want to be or type in a new number to go directly there.

What is the time for this with your receiver ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#65 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I appreciate all of where you have been but that does not help.

You have turned the scrolling to OFF. That is good.

My HR23 speed: Press button for guide until guide is on the screen, 2 seconds.
Scroll the guide thru all 84 channels in my Favorites list, 6 seconds. I can not read it when it is moving this fast. What I do is use the channel up or down button and jump a screen at a time until I get in the area I want to be or type in a new number to go directly there.

What is the time for this with your receiver ?

I was just trying to give you an idea of why we may be looking at the same thing but not seeing the same thing.

When I hit guide it usually takes 2 seconds or less to come up but sometimes can take as long as 10 seconds. Not consistent so I hit it again and then it picks both guide pushes up!

I don't have favorites so I can't directly compare the speed but one example is that when I hit guide and hit channel down to scroll to the next page it may stick there for 2-3 seconds then move. Or if hit want to go down the list quickly to get skip a few pages... I hit channel down 4 times - sometimes it moves down 2 sometimes 3 sometimes 4 pages.

The worst part is moving ahead in the guide - when I arrow over you never know what you're going to get... If there are in-guide ads especially. I have to slow down and use the arrow once, wait for it to move, then hit it again etc. If I want to go two hours ahead it is a pain to scroll.

Maybe if the guide is smaller, like your favs, it works better. I'll try and setup some favorites and see how the guide works there.

#66 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I changed my guide to all channels I get and it took over 1 minute to go completely around.
It especially slowed down when I got to the PPV channels with all those banner ads in there.

My Favorite list has only HD channels in it. The Channels I get has HD and SD and the SD duplicates of the HD channels.

Edited by jimmie57, 20 November 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I changed my guide to all channels I get and it took over 1 minute to completely around.
It especially slowed down when I got to the PPV channels with all those banner ads in there.

My Favorite list has only HD channels in it. The Channels I get has HD and SD and the SD duplicates of the HD channels.

Why would you want to show SD dups of HD channels? That might slow a tad.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#68 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Why would you want to show SD dups of HD channels? That might slow a tad.

I personally do not use the SD channels, nor do I use the Channels I Get. When a person has a question about an SD channel that I have in my list as only HD it is my easiest way to get to the SD channel.

#69 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Been watching this thread (and all others like it). I've been out of contract for years, and will stay that way, until DirecTV throws some horsepower at these DVRs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#70 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I get your point but you sort of mixed things. You expect them "to work" which they do and apparently a diminished response time equates to in your thoughts "not working"?

You are right about Direct's evolving technology, it cuts not only through the receivers but also the infrastructure my wallet has felt that being in an obscenely large home and wanting things "just so" I have had to invest and re-invest. A choice I made. Yes I did grumble at times but now with my current set up I couldn't be happier.

And yes my HR23-700 sets the land speed record for an inanimate object at times. I've also seen firmware improve speed on machines and would not be surprised if such wasn't currently in the works.

You chose to make an investment and you have issues now with some of the changes. Your best recourse is to constructively address Direct TV with those issues and your feelings without berating people. (and I'm not saying you are)

I get where you are coming from though as I myself was there only but three years ago myself. I've had over 6k invested in initial infrastructure and changes to support the evolutions of the technology. I accepted that finally as I only have Dish or Direct as options (out in farmland).

In the end I respect your position Mike. I was just making observation that the overall tone of the thread was getting a bit heated is all.

Don "and now back to Cows With Guns on channel 392" Bolton

I think DirecTV does 'owe' me equipment that works. I paid $600 to get 3 HR24-500s that worked pretty well until they messed them up with the HDGUI. Why should I be out the $600 I paid to get HD DVRs that responded to the remote etc?

Are you suggesting that I should expect to pay $600 every year or two to keep up with DirecTVs software engineers? Maybe I should say lack of software engineers?

There is no amount of money I can pay to get back to the performance of my pre-HDGUI HR24s is there? From all appearances the HR34 also suffers from similar response issues. Maybe they'll fix them because the HR34 is still pretty young but they never did fix the HR20/21/22 or 23 so why should we expect anything different?

I should just be happy that the $600 I paid to get responsive DVRs was only a temporary fix?

So many questions.... So few answers!:rolleyes:

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#71 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

392! Darn, I can't get that one- it's the Eastern feed, no? Guide says it's from NY. Are they shooting new Chik-fil-A ads around there? :D

#72 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Can you test using an iPad, iPhone or a web based control of your sets? That'd eliminate- or not- the remote being part of the problem.

#73 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I've been out of contract for years, and will stay that way, until DirecTV throws some horsepower at these DVRs.

Horsepower only fixes the problems for those fortunate enough to get the new hardware.

Fixing the software will surely improve the situation for EVERYONE.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#74 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Horsepower only fixes the problems for those fortunate enough to get the new hardware.

I second that. I remember going through similar sluggishness issues with my old Ultimate TV units from WAAAY back when. They offered great features but were sluggish in everything they did. Eventually, once they were EOL'd, a final software release made things quite snappy. Not sure if it was removal of no-longer-needed functions or whether the code was simply optimized properly or something else entirely. But the hardware was obviously not the problem - the software WAS.

I get the same sort of feeling about the HR2x boxes. A little more time tweaking the code to run a little faster and more responsively would certainly go a long way to quieting some of these types of complaints. However, with multiple units made by multiple manufacturers, it could be a daunting task to make sure every optimization works on every unit, even if it's beta-tested by select users in the normal fashion (which shall not be named here).

The HR34 box was certainly an opportunity lost on doing a ground-up reassessment, reorganization, and reprioritization of how the software is written and tested.

Can the HR2x and HR3x boxes be made to feel snappy and responsive, seemingly instantly responding to user input? Make no mistake - it CAN be done. It's software that can be re-written to prioritize user input over other actions. The old Ultimate TV units are a good example of this. The question is whether or not the powers-that-be at D* think such an endeavor is worth the time and expense to do so on the existing equipment. Until now (and for the foreseeable future), the answer is clearly, "no."

#75 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yep. Interestingly enough, the THR22s don't seem to have these problems. Same hardware, different software. So maybe that's one solution for the OP, depending on what features he wants.

Since it's been so long and they haven't fixed it, they're either unable or unwilling to fix the problems. Either way, it's not going to change.

#76 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

When I first got them to replace my HR22s they all acted about the same except for the caller ID which has always been screwy.

When the HDGUI came along they all went downhill but they don't all behave the same way. One of them, the one I use the least, is more responsive than the others. It will still occasionally miss a remote command and is painfully slow navigating through the guide and menus but not too big of a deal.

The one I use the most I have to restart every week or two or it will start going unresponsive out of the blue. Once in a while I'll FFWD and it will start to FFWD but then I can't stop it. The receiver completely ignores ALL remote AND front panel button pushes for 30 seconds up to 3 or 4 minutes. It will then go back to normal. If I keep pushing buttons while it is out-to-lunch at least some of the button pushes are acted on when it comes back. The onscreen clock also stops.

This trouble is not the remote or anything to do with the remote because the clock stops and the buttons on the front panel also do nothing.

The third HR24 will do this once in a while but nowhere near as much.

Neither of them do it as long as I remember to restart them - I've been doing that on Sundays and that at least keeps them from losing it completely. Doesn't do anything to speed up scrolling through the menus.

Bottom line as I said earlier in this thread.... If you want to use DirecTV you just have be able to get past these kinds of troubles. Pretty pathetic because before they forced the HDGUI (that really doesn't give us anything) on all of us life was pretty good with all three of my HR24s.

We have 2 HR21s and 2 HR24s and we see the sort of issues you describe on the 2 HR21s (one has an external 1TB drive attached and it performs worse that the one with only the original 320GB drive). The HR24s, however (both with 1TB external drives), never miss a remote control key press (we use RF - on IR we'd have an occasional miss due to line of sight issues) and scrolling through the guide, playlist and menus is smooth and responsive.

Complete lockups of the receiver for many seconds is definitely not normal and indicates some sort of a problem. It may be environmental (interference with remote commands swamping the receiver) or internal to the devices (perhaps power supply issues due to dirty or inconsistent electrical power).

It is puzzling why your experience is so different from the norm. I'd press DirecTV to replace at least one receiver and see if that improves performance. If it does, you will know something in your environment is causing gradual degradation of performance.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#77 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Complete lockups of the receiver for many seconds is definitely not normal and indicates some sort of a problem. It may be environmental (interference with remote commands swamping the receiver) or internal to the devices (perhaps power supply issues due to dirty or inconsistent electrical power).

It *is* normal, or at least fairly common. My HR24 behaved the same way Mike Greer's did. So does my neighbor's. Using the SD GUI, it was great. The remote was very consistent and fast to respond, less than one second.

After the HD GUI update, there were problems immediately after. Usually key presses responded within a second. But at random times, it would be 5-30 seconds. There was no predictable way to tell when it would happen, though it usually happened after the remote was not used for a while. Absolutely nothing else changed in the setup except the "upgrade" to the HD GUI. The DVR was never connected to the Internet either.

I tried IR, RF, and even the front panel to change channels and all would be unresponsive. It would queue up all those button presses and eventually rapidly execute them all in order. You're afraid to touch the remote for fear of accidentally deleting something or having the show you're watching be spoiled because you can't stop FF.

#78 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have also read that it appears to effect the speed if the HD has 30% or less free space.
I can not verify this since mine most of the time have at least 70% free space.

I think D* fixed that problem. I've been running a 24-500 at ~ 17% Free for months and I have no slowdowns. Not sure about the other models but my eight 24s are pretty quick and my four 20-700s are almost as fast. All my HRs (12) have 2TB drives in/on them and I truly don't have any speed problems.

I gave up on channel surfing when I switched to D*'s TiVos. I don't recall having any problems with surfing and using D*'s Ultimate DVRs.

Rich

#79 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I think D* fixed that problem. I've been running a 24-500 at ~ 17% Free for months and I have no slowdowns. Not sure about the other models but my eight 24s are pretty quick and my four 20-700s are almost as fast. All my HRs (12) have 2TB drives in/on them and I truly don't have any speed problems.

I gave up on channel surfing when I switched to D*'s TiVos. I don't recall having any problems with surfing and using D*'s Ultimate DVRs.

Rich

Wow ! that is a lot of DVRs. With that many 2TB drives that is a ton of recordings.

Thanks for the post about the speed related to Free Space.

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

OH yes! i can confirm THAT ! When the hard drive is empty your system is Fast ! So the speed issue is the communication between the Hard Drive and the Head unit. As i stated earlier thats the bottle neck in the system ! I have a 2 tera byte in mine it is 40 % full And its is slow as hell ! Just going to have to wait till the SSD's come down in price and get the 2 tera byte size to make it worth while.

I think the HRs run better with content stored on them than they do when new (empty). Doesn't take but a few programs to get them to work properly, but I believe they are much happier with some content on them.

Rich

spam firewall