Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I do not agree with this statement at all. I recently got a new HR-34 and it was turtle slow right off the bat with no recordings!

Evaluating performance before the system has retrieved all the guide data is not a reasonable test. After 48 hours is the time to begin speed testing as it may take that long to obtain the latest guide data and firmware.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have 84 channels in my favorites and I have 4 banners as of now , since I deleted a couple of them. One day a couple of days ago I had 3 banners on one screen, and only 3 lines of guide data. That is when I wrote to them.

Also the banners are causing some users excessive IR interference and causing ther DVR to stop reacting for a short time before they will move off those screens. I have seen several post to this problem, here and on the DTV forum.

Also, the banner colors are very bright., especially on the right end of them where it tells you to press ???? for ????. This is blatant against the black background. Remember the Outcry about the white letters on the black background ? This is far worse. In one of my emails to them about these I suggested that they change the color on the right end to the color that is used for the select button and at the same time they could decrease the intensity of the colors and that would help if they refused to remove them.

My son has an HD receiver and he does not get any of these on it. We should not have to put up with those either.

3 n one screen is excessive except for the 125 channels which list all the ppv. I consider them basically the same as channels in the guide anyway. The only place I ever even see two to three in a row is the ones for the premium channels on demand. Other than that, it must just be bizarre set or coincidences in your favorites list. The banners are tied to channels it appears, so its not like they always have one or every two screens or something. Although that is basically what you have based on 4 in 84 channels. I guess my question is, what are they for? And are they slowing down your hr?

#103 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

This is what I sent them the other day. It lists the channels and what the banners were.
I made the text bold so that it stood out, like the banners do on that black back ground. The first thing you see is the bolded text lines.

Please get the Banner Ads out of my Guide !!!!

I have never complained about things in the past but this is just ridicoulus.

I am looking at a screen right now that has"

Fringe Record now banner,

254 guide info

The Hour Record Now banner,

264 guide info

265 guide info

Unlikely Animal Friends Record now banner.

Really, 3 lines of what I want to see and 3 Banner Ads.

I know what I want to Record and I do not buy PPV movies so I do not need and especially do not want these ads.

Am I going to have to go to a NON DVR to get rid of them ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#104 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Can you test using an iPad, iPhone or a web based control of your sets? That'd eliminate- or not- the remote being part of the problem.

I guess I could check but I've already eliminated the remotes from being the source of the trouble - doesn't matter if I use IR or RF or the front panel. Completely blocking light also doesn't not change the speed when using an RF remote.

I run 2 in RF mode and 1 in IR mode - total of 5 remotes that all suffer the sluggishness off and on.

#105 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I guess I could check but I've already eliminated the remotes from being the source of the trouble - doesn't matter if I use IR or RF or the front panel. Completely blocking light also doesn't not change the speed when using an RF remote.

I run 2 in RF mode and 1 in IR mode - total of 5 remotes that all suffer the sluggishness off and on.

Did you make a favorites list and cut out all the unwanted channels and see if that helped.
I posted in this thread the time to cycle around my favorite list and then the time to cycle around the all channels I get and it was a huge difference.
It was like 6 seconds in the favorite and over a minute in the channels I get.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#106 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

We have 2 HR21s and 2 HR24s and we see the sort of issues you describe on the 2 HR21s (one has an external 1TB drive attached and it performs worse that the one with only the original 320GB drive). The HR24s, however (both with 1TB external drives), never miss a remote control key press (we use RF - on IR we'd have an occasional miss due to line of sight issues) and scrolling through the guide, playlist and menus is smooth and responsive.

Complete lockups of the receiver for many seconds is definitely not normal and indicates some sort of a problem. It may be environmental (interference with remote commands swamping the receiver) or internal to the devices (perhaps power supply issues due to dirty or inconsistent electrical power).

It is puzzling why your experience is so different from the norm. I'd press DirecTV to replace at least one receiver and see if that improves performance. If it does, you will know something in your environment is causing gradual degradation of performance.

I'd love to blame something in my 'environment' but whatever is causing trouble in my environment would also have to be in a bunch of others environments as posted in multiple threads here.

I'd push DirecTV to replace the HR24 I use the most except that I'd lose my recordings and spending $600 to dump my POS HR22s only fixed my problem until the HDGUI came out. I don't really want to go down that road again.... Besides I'd have to tell DirecTV the receiver was completely dead before they would replace it anyway - don't want to do that either. With my luck they'd send me an HR22 to replace the HR24 - I'd probably get one the 3 HR22s I sent back that they have no doubt been shipping back and forth to poor saps since I returned them to DirecTV!

What in my environment could possibly cause the HR24-500 I use the most to start losing it after about 2 weeks? The fix is just to restart it and I'm good for another 2 weeks....

You also have to remember that the slow-down of all 3 of my HR24s started with the HDGUI and the complete freezes started 4 or 5 months ago.

#107 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Mike's had nothing but bad luck. He bought three 22-100s and had nothing but trouble with them. He's not projecting, he's relating his experiences. Besides, Mike's pretty funny. Takes a good natured person to stick with us for so long.

Rich

Ha! Damn - I should have thought about the batteries! Could have saved myself the $600 for the HR24s and years of troubles if I had!:lol:

#108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Did you...

As much as we want to offer help, these types of threads will always be around.
Last year a good friend got a new HR24 [no SWiM] and it would slow down after a couple of weeks to the point it would stop responding.
Not being that "in tune" with his new DVR, he'd pull the power cord.
I got him to use the menu restart at least as he said he could tell when this would be coming as it would start to slow down.
He'd have to do this about every two weeks.

Being so new to him, there weren't a lot of recordings or series links for them, etc., so what would be the difference between his experience and mine?

About the only thing that comes to mind is he watches a lot more sports channels with scoreguide.

I've showed him the channel one for 30 sec "trick", and haven't heard him complain since.
Not sure if the resolved it or he just quit complaining to me. :lol:

Mike, this started for him before the HD GUI too.
A.K.A VOS

#109 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I've showed him the channel one for 30 sec "trick", and haven't heard him complain since.

Exactly what is the Channel 1 Trick. Is that clearing NVRAM???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#110 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Exactly what is the Channel 1 Trick. Is that clearing NVRAM???

You don't need to press the colored buttons, but "merely" stay on channel one for 30 sec.

The whole "NVRAM clearing" was a red herring.
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

As much as we want to offer help, these types of threads will always be around.
Last year a good friend got a new HR24 [no SWiM] and it would slow down after a couple of weeks to the point it would stop responding.
Not being that "in tune" with his new DVR, he'd pull the power cord.
I got him to use the menu restart at least as he said he could tell when this would be coming as it would start to slow down.
He'd have to do this about every two weeks.

Being so new to him, there weren't a lot of recordings or series links for them, etc., so what would be the difference between his experience and mine?

About the only thing that comes to mind is he watches a lot more sports channels with scoreguide.

Mike, this started for him before the HD GUI too.

Just for my own information. How was it determined that this was the same as pressing all the buttons ? Make the answer simple since it will probably go over my head no matter how simple it is.
Thanks

#112 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

REALLY!!!

It seemed to work for me but the reason it worked is that you had to be on Channel 1 for at least 30 seconds for it to Clear the NVRAM, is this right???
Here's My Setup

#113 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Did you make a favorites list and cut out all the unwanted channels and see if that helped.
I posted in this thread the time to cycle around my favorite list and then the time to cycle around the all channels I get and it was a huge difference.
It was like 6 seconds in the favorite and over a minute in the channels I get.

I did make a favorites list and scrolling through the list is much much quicker! I mean like night and day quicker. I only put about 20 channels on it but plan on adding the other channels and doing the same on all three of my receivers.

I don't surf the guide very much but if anyone here does then jimmie57's favorite suggestion does seem to make a bigger difference in guide speed than anything else I have tried! If you're a surfer and are annoyed by the pain-in-the-butt response from DirecTV equipment this will likely make your guide surfing much easier!

Thank you Jimmie57!

#114 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just for my own information. How was it determined that this was the same as pressing all the buttons ? Make the answer simple since it will probably go over my head.
Thanks

I used my friend's problem to leverage this with "my people" in Southern Cal.
They finally came back with that it was just the act of being on channel one for 30 sec and not the clearing of the NVRAM.
Since I don't have the problem, I couldn't verify this, "but" in one of these threads, it was verified that it works.
If it's going to help, just "park on" channel one for half a min.

I guess you could try to disprove this by not clearing the NVRAM, park for 30 sec, still have problems, and then go back and clear the NVRAM and resolve it.
A.K.A VOS

#115 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

You don't need to press the colored buttons, but "merely" stay on channel one for 30 sec.

I didn't do my usual 'restart' yesterday. Later this week -Thursday or Friday my HR24 should start doing its complete hangup - when it does I'll try just going to channel 1 for 30 seconds to see if that corrects it just as restarting it does.

#116 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

REALLY!!!

It seemed to work for me but the reason it worked is that you had to be on Channel 1 for at least 30 seconds for it to Clear the NVRAM, is this right???

That's the logic here.
A.K.A VOS

#117 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I didn't do my usual 'restart' yesterday so that later this week. Thursday or Friday my HR24 should start doing its complete hangup - when it does I'll try just going to channel 1 for 30 seconds to see if that corrects it just as restarting it does.

"Back in the old days" sometimes clearing NVRAM [falsely] helped and sometimes it didn't.
Why these bog down does seem to vary.
A.K.A VOS

#118 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

With my luck they'd send me an HR22 to replace the HR24 -

I have heard from several reliable sources that if you have an HR24 and they Replace it they Will Replace it with another HR24 and nothing else.
Here's My Setup

#119 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I used my friend's problem to leverage this with "my people" in Southern Cal.
They finally came back with that it was just the act of being on channel one for 30 sec and not the clearing of the NVRAM.
Since I don't have the problem, I couldn't verify this, "but" in one of these threads, it was verified that it works.
If it's going to help, just "park on" channel one for half a min.

I guess you could try to disprove this by not clearing the NVRAM, park for 30 sec, still have problems, and then go back and clear the NVRAM and resolve it.

I wouldn't think you could prove it in the manner you suggest since the units do respond with varying slower or faster than expected responses at most any time.

I did go there for 60 seconds and watched the lower part of the screen and the message about clearing the ram did not come up. I then did the button presses and it did come up.
However, I don't have problems with my receivers and so I don't see a difference. I do reset my receivers at least once per month also.

#120 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Can you test using an iPad, iPhone or a web based control of your sets? That'd eliminate- or not- the remote being part of the problem.

I am a HUGE user of IP control and virtually never see any lag or slow down. It's different from the "old fashioned" way with a remote, but it's great to use and there's many options from iPad/Apple stuff to Android and PC browsers.

Mike Greer...try it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall