Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

I wouldn't think you could prove it in the manner you suggest since the units do respond with varying slower or faster than expected responses at most any time.

I did go there for 60 seconds and watched the lower part of the screen and the message about clearing the ram did not come up. I then did the button presses and it did come up.
However, I don't have problems with my receivers and so I don't see a difference. I do reset my receivers at least once per month also.

First you'd have to see the problem.
When I used to see it, it would mostly show up paging through the guide.
The HR21 would be slower than "normal" and clearing the NVRAM most of the time resolved it.

If I were to have a WAG about this, it would be that channel one acts a bit like starting a PC in the safe mode.
For the DVR to be able to clear the NVRAM, it seems it stops a lot of the processes running, which may be why it then speeds back up.

"Complete WAG" :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,727 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

First you'd have to see the problem.
When I used to see it, it would mostly show up paging through the guide.
The HR21 would be slower than "normal" and clearing the NVRAM most of the time resolved it.

If I were to have a WAG about this, it would be that channel one acts a bit like starting a PC in the safe mode.
For the DVR to be able to clear the NVRAM, it seems it stops a lot of the processes running, which may be why it then speeds back up.

"Complete WAG" :shrug:

I can relate that explanation to using Internet Explorer. After awhile of not shutting it down, playing videos, searching, etc. it seems to get a problem and not respond. Simply closing it's operation and restarting it clears it up.
Going to channel 1 might be temporarily shutting down all other processes while you are on it and then they get a fresh start when you go back to the normal things.

thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#123 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

I am a HUGE user of IP control and virtually never see any lag or slow down. It's different from the "old fashioned" way with a remote, but it's great to use and there's many options from iPad/Apple stuff to Android and PC browsers.

Mike Greer...try it.

I may just give that a shot - although I don't surf the guide that much....

I just don't see it helping when the front panel itself also has the trouble - including during the 'freeze' time and then acting on the missed button pushes.

I'll give it a try in the next few days....

#124 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I recently bought a H25... WOW, this thing is fast. Are all non DVRs this quick? It's definitely the fastest unit I've used...I've had a HR20-700, HR24-100 & -500, HR34, & C31.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#125 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I just don't see it helping when the front panel itself also has the trouble - including during the 'freeze' time and then acting on the missed button pushes.

It controls FFW, REW, everything... not just guide stuff.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#126 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I recently bought a H25... WOW, this thing is fast. Are all non DVRs this quick? It's definitely the fastest unit I've used...I've had a HR20-700, HR24-100 & -500, HR34, & C31.

My H21 was fairly fast, but I think the H25 is the fastest to date.
A.K.A VOS

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

That's the sad thing.... Dish Network HD DVRs - even the old ones - are that quick!

#128 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

It controls FFW, REW, everything... not just guide stuff.

While "anything" is worth a try, if the front panel can't respond, "I'd guess" the DVR is buried trying to do "something", so the IP control would be too.
A.K.A VOS

#129 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,727 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

REALLY!!!

It seemed to work for me but the reason it worked is that you had to be on Channel 1 for at least 30 seconds for it to Clear the NVRAM, is this right???

This is also reasonable since you get the "bonk" sounds if you do it too soon and it does not put up the message that it is clearing the ram and then you have to do it again.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#130 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

You don't need to press the colored buttons, but "merely" stay on channel one for 30 sec.

The whole "NVRAM clearing" was a red herring.

Darn active channel is good for something I guess... Maybe I should set a manual recording for that channel for once a week for five minutes. Let it do an auto cleansing. :)

#131 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Darn active channel is good for something I guess... Maybe I should set a manual recording for that channel for once a week for five minutes. Let it do an auto cleansing. :)

That's brilliant! I think I'll do exactly that!

#132 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

While "anything" is worth a try, if the front panel can't respond, "I'd guess" the DVR is buried trying to do "something", so the IP control would be too.

I'd guess you are correct sir!

#133 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

That's brilliant! I think I'll do exactly that!

An interesting concept, but I wonder if recording would be different than having the "live tuner" tune to it.

"Seems like" a recording to the drive wouldn't be the same.
A.K.A VOS

#134 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

An interesting concept, but I wonder if recording would be different than having the "live tuner" tune to it.

"Seems like" a recording to the drive wouldn't be the same.

But what happens when the recoding is finished? Maybe I set two recordings? One starting a couple minutes before the one on channel 1, forcing the channel one recording to take place on the foreground tuner, and therefore in theory the live channel? And have the first recording last longer than the channel 1 recording.

#135 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

"I don't know" so it would be interesting to see how this works or if it doesn't.

First we need a guinea pig that has this problem.

Next we need "the pig" to see if tuning to channel one resolves "the problem".

Then try setting up one recording and then try two.
A.K.A VOS

#136 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

"I don't know" so it would be interesting to see how this works or if it doesn't.

First we need a guinea pig that has this problem.

Next we need "the pig" to see if tuning to channel one resolves "the problem".

Then try setting up one recording and then try two.

Pick me! Pick me!

#137 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Pick me! Pick me!

pickme:

!rolling
A.K.A VOS

#138 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

pickme:

!rolling

Nice!

As soon as any of my receivers freak out I'll try going to channel 1 and see what happens! I've tried it in the past but that was before - now the trouble is much more noticable so I'll give it another go.

#139 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Nice!

As soon as any of my receivers freak out I'll try going to channel 1 and see what happens! I've tried it in the past but that was before - now the trouble is much more noticable so I'll give it another go.

If it takes a couple of weeks for it to happen, this should keep you quiet for a month or so. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#140 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

If it takes a couple of weeks for it to happen, this should keep you quiet for a month or so. :lol:

Very little chance of that!:lol:

I guess if no one else starts a thread about having a slow/non-responsive receiver it could happen... But you know we can't go more than a day or two before someone says they have a slow receiver.

That will keep my flapping day-in-day-out until DirecTV hires some engineers!

I think DirecTV does this just for me!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...