Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Very little chance of that!:lol:

I seem to remember hearing about Dish rebooting theirs in the middle of the night to keep them working. Not sure if they still do or not, as it was "a while back".
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I seem to remember hearing about Dish rebooting theirs in the middle of the night to keep them working. Not sure if they still do or not, as it was "a while back".

I've considered putting a timer on my receivers to cut the power every night. The only thing that has stopped me is that I'm sure that DirecTV's engineers didn't take into consideration 'dirty' shutdowns - especially a daily dirty shutdown.

#143 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I recently bought a H25... WOW, this thing is fast. Are all non DVRs this quick? It's definitely the fastest unit I've used...I've had a HR20-700, HR24-100 & -500, HR34, & C31.

That's the point! Almost all other non-DirecTV ***DVRs*** are that quick! So when a customer switches to DirecTV, he's not blown away by the picture quality or the number of channels as he should be. Instead, he's frustrated that it sometimes takes 5 -30 seconds for the box to acknowledge that a button was pressed.

He's also frustrated that his receiver or DVR takes a long time to reboot, and that it will be even slower than usual for 48 hours after it has been rebooted, because no other provider has that problem.

It also irks him that he has to turn to a specific channel once a week so the box can do something magical to speed itself up (if it's that magical, why doesn't D* just have the box automatically do that once a week?)

#144 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I've considered putting a timer on my receivers to cut the power every night. The only thing that has stopped me is that I'm sure that DirecTV's engineers didn't take into consideration 'dirty' shutdowns - especially a daily dirty shutdown.

I suspect you'd find the potential risk to the hard drives inside of any HD DVRs would be far more of an issue than any engineer.

As for just HD receivers.... :shrug:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#145 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Instead, he's frustrated that it sometimes takes 5 -30 seconds for the box to acknowledge that a button was pressed.

In the past nine years, maybe I've had to wait 5 secs, but never 30 sec.
A.K.A VOS

#146 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I suspect you'd find the potential risk to the hard drives inside of any HD DVRs would be far more of an issue than any engineer.

As for just HD receivers.... :shrug:

Perhaps.... Maybe I just need a little robot to RBR once a week for me.

As for just HD receivers - I don't think the sluggishness hits those - at least not any that I've seen.

#147 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

In the past nine years, maybe I've had to wait 5 secs, but never 30 sec.

Maybe your name should be 'veryluckyman'!

#148 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Perhaps.... Maybe I just need a little robot to RBR once a week for me.

As for just HD receivers - I don't think the sluggishness hits those - at least not any that I've seen.

Try this: Instead of posting your problems to every thread, cut out posting to one thread per week. That'll save you two minutes. With half that time, one minute just before you hit the hay, go to menu-Reset, confirm, dash, and you're done.....:eek2: :D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#149 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Maybe your name should be 'veryluckyman'!

I know there are some with problems I don't or haven't seen, but "really" waiting 30 sec?
The only time I've ever seen anything like that was because the coffee table was in the way on my remote or I was pointing it to the back wall. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#150 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I had the slowdown and missing buttons on my HR24-100 this weekend and it turned out to be old battery's in the remote. Replaced today and it is back normal. It was not slow just missing button press.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#151 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Try this: Instead of posting your problems to every thread, cut out posting to one thread per week. That'll save you two minutes. With half that time, one minute just before you hit the hay, go to menu-Reset, confirm, dash, and you're done.....:eek2: :D

First - you'd miss me.

Second - it would screw up recordings I have either currently running or ones that would start in the 20 minutes or so it takes to restart.

If there was a sticky at the top called 'My HRXX is freaking slow. What can I do?' then all these people starting these threads could just post there....

Or... DirecTV could fix them? I know, now I'm talking crazy!

#152 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

I know there are some with problems I don't or haven't seen, but "really" waiting 30 sec?
The only time I've ever seen anything like that was because the coffee table was in the way on my remote or I was pointing it to the back wall. :lol:

I don't typically have to wait that long... At least not since I got rid of the HR22s - then it really could be 30 seconds before I would get a response.

The only time I have to wait that long now is when the receiver just goes away for 1 to 4 or maybe even 5 minutes then comes back to life. I avoid those by restarting every week.

#153 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I had the slowdown and missing buttons on my HR24-100 this weekend and it turned out to be old battery's in the remote. Replaced today and it is back normal. It was not slow just missing button press.

Huh, maybe I should try replacing my batteries and moving that coffee table. Wish I would have found dbstalk sooner - I could of avoided all these troubles!:rolleyes:

#154 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I don't typically have to wait that long... At least not since I got rid of the HR22s - then it really could be 30 seconds before I would get a response.

The only time I have to wait that long now is when the receiver just goes away for 1 to 4 or maybe even 5 minutes then comes back to life. I avoid those by restarting every week.

I "canned" my HR21 when I got my HR24, since I just didn't need 3 [at the time]. I just never ever had to wait as long as some here have posted. Maybe I just knew it needed a reboot and if that didn't help, it would have been throw out long ago.
A year back, I had a mover's connection and told the tech my HR20-700 [which was still working fine] wouldn't do 3D, so it was "broke". He swapped it for a HR24, which I hoped would have been the same as my friend had gotten, so I could see what type of problems he might have. Instead I got another HR24-500, but hey the price was right. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#155 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

My two HR24-500's respond to commands quickly about 90-95% of the time. The other 5-10%, the response is either slooooow or non-existent. The problem is most pronounced when trying to use the guide. The sloooooow / non-existent remote command response problem has NOT always existed, so it is NOT a hardware problem.

The problem will go away when senior management at DirecTV makes it clear that they want the problem solved or else (i.e.; they tell the head code monkey to solve the problem or they will find someone else to do the job).

#156 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

The problem will go away when senior management at DirecTV makes it clear that they want the problem solved or else (i.e.; they tell the head code monkey to solve the problem or they will find someone else to do the job).

"Yeah", I'm sure they currently just don't care. :rolleyes:
A.K.A VOS

#157 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I went to Channel 1 and waited for 5 minutes and then Entered Channel 360 and it worked like a Charm (this is with an HR23-700).

I don't know how often I need to go to Channel 1 but I guess I will do it first thing when I use that DVR. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#158 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I got to channel 1 about once a week on the 2 HR24s that I control. Keeps things as fast as they are going to be.

The only place it doesn't seem to have an effect, and the sole place I've seen 30 seconds plus waiting, is when I delete shows from the playlist. Often it gives the 'refreshing playlist' or some such for quite a long while.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#159 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

The only place it doesn't seem to have an effect, and the sole place I've seen 30 seconds plus waiting, is when I delete shows from the playlist. Often it gives the 'refreshing playlist' or some such for quite a long while.

"Delete shows", sounds like you're deleting shows from more than the local DVR, which can take a bit longer for each other receiver to report back the status.
A.K.A VOS

#160 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I got to channel 1 about once a week on the 2 HR24s that I control. Keeps things as fast as they are going to be.

I don't have Whole Home DVR and I get the Refreshing Playlist on my HR23 when I delete a show / program once in awhile. I haven't paid that much attention to it but it does not show it that often. It might be when I delete something that is more than 2 hours long or it could just be popping up every "X" amount of programs that you delete.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall