Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are any receivers responsive?

• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

"Delete shows", sounds like you're deleting shows from more than the local DVR, which can take a bit longer for each other receiver to report back the status.

Sometimes yes, other times no! :)

I have 2 of the HR24s stacked on my AV rack which are for my sole use. I delete a show after I watch it and get the slow refresh and it doesn't seem to matter whether the show I'm deleting is on the one I'm controlling or across the network or not.

Of course, when I do some mass deletings I fully expect it to take a bit of time, but not for a single show deletion regardless of location.

For info, both units have more than 50% free almost all the time.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sometimes yes, other times no! :)

I have 2 of the HR24s stacked on my AV rack which are for my sole use. I delete a show after I watch it and get the slow refresh and it doesn't seem to matter whether the show I'm deleting is on the one I'm controlling or across the network or not.

Of course, when I do some mass deletings I fully expect it to take a bit of time, but not for a single show deletion regardless of location.

For info, both units have more than 50% free almost all the time.

I have three, and recordings are a mix from all of them. I too see this delay sometimes.
"Maybe" it has to do with having to rebuild the whole playlist.
I guess if one turned off sharing and only had a local playlist, it might show if MRV was having any affect.
A.K.A VOS

#163 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'd love to blame something in my 'environment' but whatever is causing trouble in my environment would also have to be in a bunch of others environments as posted in multiple threads here.

I'd push DirecTV to replace the HR24 I use the most except that I'd lose my recordings and spending $600 to dump my POS HR22s only fixed my problem until the HDGUI came out. I don't really want to go down that road again.... Besides I'd have to tell DirecTV the receiver was completely dead before they would replace it anyway - don't want to do that either. With my luck they'd send me an HR22 to replace the HR24 - I'd probably get one the 3 HR22s I sent back that they have no doubt been shipping back and forth to poor saps since I returned them to DirecTV!

What in my environment could possibly cause the HR24-500 I use the most to start losing it after about 2 weeks? The fix is just to restart it and I'm good for another 2 weeks....

You also have to remember that the slow-down of all 3 of my HR24s started with the HDGUI and the complete freezes started 4 or 5 months ago.

The 24-500s do seem to be a bit wackier than the other two models. Hard to put an external drive on them. I do like them better than the 100 or 200, but if you get a wacky one (or three.. :lol:) they can drive you crazy. When they work properly, they are very good DVRs. I think.

Rich

#164 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

REALLY!!!

It seemed to work for me but the reason it worked is that you had to be on Channel 1 for at least 30 seconds for it to Clear the NVRAM, is this right???

I never saw any change in my HRs when I tried it, but I liked pressing all the buttons and getting a message back. Felt fulfilled, I did.

Rich

#165 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

"I don't know" so it would be interesting to see how this works or if it doesn't.

First we need a guinea pig that has this problem.

Next we need "the pig" to see if tuning to channel one resolves "the problem".

Then try setting up one recording and then try two.

Fortunately, this little piggy has little trouble with slowness. Now if there were some trick to speed up deleting a bunch of recordings, that would be a huge help for me. I dumped about 50 episodes of a show that we didn't want the other day and it took quite a while and then the 500 was unresponsive to remote commands for a period of time, something I notice every time I delete a few episodes of something.

Rich

#166 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Fortunately, this little piggy has little trouble with slowness. Now if there were some trick to speed up deleting a bunch of recordings, that would be a huge help for me. I dumped about 50 episodes of a show that we didn't want the other day and it took quite a while and then the 500 was unresponsive to remote commands for a period of time, something I notice every time I delete a few episodes of something.

Rich

I've got nothing for a 50 show delete. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#167 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have three, and recordings are a mix from all of them. I too see this delay sometimes.
"Maybe" it has to do with having to rebuild the whole playlist.
I guess if one turned off sharing and only had a local playlist, it might show if MRV was having any affect.

Well, I have 3 also, but I only control 2 of them. My son has one that he shares, but his TV preferences really suck! :lol:

Wouldn't just filtering to show only the local list then delete accomplish the same thing as the refresh across the MRV?

But for all of that, I'm pretty used to the lack of really fast performance from D* gear, so it has been something I see, but don't think a lot about.

Lloyd

#168 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

"Yeah", I'm sure they currently just don't care. :rolleyes:

Do you have any verifiable information to suggest that they do care?

#169 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I've got nothing for a 50 show delete. :eek2:

I've also got about 90 episodes of Blue Bloods and even more of Hawaii Five O. Both shows I don't want to watch but the wife won't let me delete. Like she's ever gonna watch them. Sometimes the massive deletions go a lot quicker than I expect, sometimes not.

Rich

#170 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Do you have any verifiable information to suggest that they do care?

"verifiable"? no, but I have personal experience that does.
A.K.A VOS

#171 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've also got about 90 episodes of Blue Bloods and even more of Hawaii Five O. Both shows I don't want to watch but the wife won't let me delete. Like she's ever gonna watch them. Sometimes the massive deletions go a lot quicker than I expect, sometimes not.

Rich

NOW I know why you have all those HDDVRs. You are nothing but an elitist show hog!! :lol:

I've not yet had any series get more than about a dozen episodes behind, I cannot imagine saving beyond that.

Lloyd

#172 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

NOW I know why you have all those HDDVRs. You are nothing but an elitist show hog!! :lol:

I've not yet had any series get more than about a dozen episodes behind, I cannot imagine saving beyond that.

I've got a couple of folders that have exceeded a dozen. I'm playing catchup with Castle & Fringe, as I started watching them long after they first started.
A.K.A VOS

#173 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

The 24-500s do seem to be a bit wackier than the other two models. Hard to put an external drive on them. I do like them better than the 100 or 200, but if you get a wacky one (or three.. :lol:) they can drive you crazy. When they work properly, they are very good DVRs. I think.

Rich

All three of my HR24-500s did slow down with the HDGUI but they don't all behave the same. The one I use the most is the biggest problem child.

I would attempt at getting them to replace it but the way my luck goes I'll get one of my original HR22s back! And I'm not a big fan of telling them it is dead so they will actually replace it.

#174 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

"verifiable"? no, but I have personal experience that does.

I believe you but it does seem that it is a very very low priority because a quick search here shows these complaints have been around since the beginning.

I wish we could bump it up a couple steps on the list....

They must make sure that all of management/directors etc get HR24s that work.... They must also make sure that only updates that have been out for a few months and are well tested by the public get sent out to 'those' receivers.

I can't imagine anyone with a vested interest in DirecTV being happy if they ever sit down and do a side-by-side with Dish Network receivers.

I'd think that upper management would ask why Dish Network can make such peppy receivers that cost less. At least that's has been implied in the lease vs own threads here...

#175 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Rich

Wow!:grin:

#176 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I believe you but it does seem that it is a very very low priority because a quick search here shows these complaints have been around since the beginning.

I wish we could bump it up a couple steps on the list....

They must make sure that all of management/directors etc get HR24s that work.... They must also make sure that only updates that have been out for a few months and are well tested by the public get sent out to 'those' receivers.

I can't imagine anyone with a vested interest in DirecTV being happy if they ever sit down and do a side-by-side with Dish Network receivers.

I'd think that upper management would ask why Dish Network can make such peppy receivers that cost less. At least that's has been implied in the lease vs own threads here...

There are all sorts of variables here.
Maybe a primary is those that don't have a slowness don't post, while those that do find a thread and post.
"I know" I would be bitching if I had a problem and hell, that's how I found this place in the first place.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess DirecTV knows exactly what dish is doing.

In my time here, one thing I've learned is almost everyone uses these in different ways, from channels viewed, to the remote buttons pushed, and this doesn't even get into all the different combinations of equipment we connect them to.

Do I hate the banner ad? You bet!!!
Do I hate scoreguide? yep, there's another thing I'd like to turn off never to be seen again [here].

My TV takes 2 sec to change OTA channels.
My receiver takes 3 sec, which isn't bad, BUT!!!! if I change from 720p to 1080i or back it takes 8 sec. Do I like waiting 5 more sec? nope.

Cable here is a good 1/3rd more cost than what I have, and "I'm told" they send everything in 720, so I lose detail on 1080i programing.

U-verse only uses 66% of the bit-rate that I get with DirecTV [I've been able to compare the same show at the same time] and they "solve" the tuning speed by not letting you change resolution.
You set it up for:
480 widescreen
720p
1080i
"pick one", but it won't fit all you watch.

I'd be foolish to try to say things will improve, as it would just get those with a history of problems laughing at me. :lol:

What we have seen:
The HR20 was faster than the HR21-23s.
The HR24 is the fastest of the HR2x.
The H25 seems the fastest of anything.
The HR34 has a lot going on and IMO isn't as fast as my HR24.
"If the trend follows" the next HMC will be faster than the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#177 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I hear you. I've gotten so used to the relative slowness that I don't even complain much any more. Of course, now and then I'll join a thread that is bitching about the performance! :)

You know the old saying 'you can get used to hanging if you just hang long enough!' :)

Lloyd

#178 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm starting to think if you have EHD full of recordings it slows down but when using the stock hard drive from DVR it's a hit or miss sometimes but responds better IMHO
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#179 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Darn active channel is good for something I guess... Maybe I should set a manual recording for that channel for once a week for five minutes. Let it do an auto cleansing. :)

An interesting concept, but I wonder if recording would be different than having the "live tuner" tune to it.

"Seems like" a recording to the drive wouldn't be the same.

I've bounced this idea of "my people" to see what they think.
They too have doubts that a recording would work.

Their advice is to simply hit the exit button when you're on a sports channel to kill the interactive app (ScoreGuide). This might be a pain, as every time you do anything [like go into the guide, etc.] and return to the live channel, the scoreguide returns active, so you'd need to press exit again.

This is the word on going to channel one: all that's really happening when you go to channel 1 is killing the bigger interactive app.

I have to say this makes the most sense from my own experience.
I never use "active channels", and rarely go to "live" channels with scoreguide, so my receivers aren't slowing down.
My friend with a HR24 does the opposite, where he spends "forever" on sports channels with scoreguide, and had problems every two weeks or so.

I guess the question for those with slowing down is what happens if:

You find a non-interactive channel to park on or consciously hit the exit key to make sure the interactive app is closed?

As I hope some will realize, this does have DirecTV's attention.
A.K.A VOS

#180 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

If that turns out to be the facts,
I would think an option in the setup menus to turn that on or off would be a possibility.
I watch a lot of sports but never use the interactive score thing.
For me I would just leave it turned OFF.

Pressing the Exit key is certainly faster and easier than going to Channel 1 and sitting there for awhile. Fact is, I press the Exit key a lot in my every day use.

Thanks for the post veryoldschool.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall